Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of buying a Model X but have some questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Winter: no issues, then again, i've avoided bad weather conditions, and rarely park outside overnight, so haven't been put in the position of frozen windows or doors. A few recommendations - if high winds, do not open windows -- they can pop out. When it's very cold (-20F) and driving long distance on a road trip, charge up at supercharger BEFORE arriving, not after, as once the car is cold, it will be much less efficient and much slower at recharging.

100D: same deliberation for me -- originally ordered 75D and switched to 100D after it became available (after order was placed). I took my hourly rate of income, multiplied by the additional time for anticipated road trips over the course of a year, resulting in break-even after 3 years, so it made sense based on that calculation. Definitely glad to have 100D now, especially in the winter as it would not have been possible to reach certain places. There have also been instances (e.g. Mauston, Wisconsin) where none of the superchargers have worked (e.g cut out immediately or after adding ~5 miles), such that in unfamiliar areas I now charge enough to reach the next 2 supercharger stations to mitigate such risk.

Autopilot: meh - much better now than it was, though still not very useful for my driving. More relaxing on road trips, though still dives at exit/entrance ramps far too often and keeps needing to be disengaged. In the city I never use it, as other drivers are way too unpredictable and don't always stay in their lane. If I were to purchase again, I'd save the money, wait until it gets better then maybe purchase - better return on investments than the after-purchase price difference. If there's a free trial now (thought I heard that but not sure), maybe that's your best bet to see how it works for you before purchasing it.

Rims: I'd prefer range over looks, performance, or bumps especially in winter driving and went with 20s. Though if I had sprung for P100D and used it as a summer car, I'd go for 22s for the best performance.

Service: 15,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. I went in for annual inspection, no issues were found, and they gave me an S P85D loaner for a day, still quick though a bit older. They said MN state license plate registration laws/costs don't make it possible to provide new cars like P100Ds for loaners; perhaps your state may be different. They vacuumed and washed the car, and "uncorked" it to make it quicker. The only thing replaced were wiper blades and keyfob batteries (which they do in any case).

Attachments

• IMG_0253.JPG
    IMG_0253.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Informative
Reactions: Nilnoc and P85_DA
Winter: no issues, then again, i've avoided bad weather conditions, and rarely park outside overnight, so haven't been put in the position of frozen windows or doors. A few recommendations - if high winds, do not open windows -- they can pop out. When it's very cold (-20F) and driving long distance on a road trip, charge up at supercharger BEFORE arriving, not after, as once the car is cold, it will be much less efficient and much slower at recharging.

100D: same deliberation for me -- originally ordered 75D and switched to 100D after it became available (after order was placed). I took my hourly rate of income, multiplied by the additional time for anticipated road trips over the course of a year, resulting in break-even after 3 years, so it made sense based on that calculation. Definitely glad to have 100D now, especially in the winter as it would not have been possible to reach certain places. There have also been instances (e.g. Mauston, Wisconsin) where none of the superchargers have worked (e.g cut out immediately or after adding ~5 miles), such that in unfamiliar areas I now charge enough to reach the next 2 supercharger stations to mitigate such risk.

Autopilot: meh - much better now than it was, though still not very useful for my driving. More relaxing on road trips, though still dives at exit/entrance ramps far too often and keeps needing to be disengaged. In the city I never use it, as other drivers are way too unpredictable and don't always stay in their lane. If I were to purchase again, I'd save the money, wait until it gets better then maybe purchase - better return on investments than the after-purchase price difference. If there's a free trial now (thought I heard that but not sure), maybe that's your best bet to see how it works for you before purchasing it.

Rims: I'd prefer range over looks, performance, or bumps especially in winter driving and went with 20s. Though if I had sprung for P100D and used it as a summer car, I'd go for 22s for the best performance.

Service: 15,000 miles and no issues whatsoever. I went in for annual inspection, no issues were found, and they gave me an S P85D loaner for a day, still quick though a bit older. They said MN state license plate registration laws/costs don't make it possible to provide new cars like P100Ds for loaners; perhaps your state may be different. They vacuumed and washed the car, and "uncorked" it to make it quicker. The only thing replaced were wiper blades and keyfob batteries (which they do in any case).

Thanks for the insight! Is that the Midnight Silver Metallic?

Also I'd be interested in knowing how many road trips do you do or plan a year to break even after 3 years?

Thanks for the insight! Is that the Midnight Silver Metallic?
Also I'd be interested in knowing how many road trips do you do or plan a year to break even after 3 years?

Yes - Midnight Silver Metallic.

I figured 8 trips per year, 220 miles away, going 75mph where it would take me an extra hour of charging each way with 75D, whereas the 100D has enough to make it without stopping, in the summer anyways. That said, I usually stop anyways for 15 mins or so, as I'm afraid to test the lower limits below 20%.

Enjoy your new X!

Yes - Midnight Silver Metallic.

I figured 8 trips per year, 220 miles away, going 75mph where it would take me an extra hour of charging each way with 75D, whereas the 100D has enough to make it without stopping, in the summer anyways. That said, I usually stop anyways for 15 mins or so, as I'm afraid to test the lower limits below 20%.

Enjoy your new X!

;)
Hm477wyJTjyDxhae1F93Ow.jpg

I have 2017 X P100D with 22 OEM turbine wheels for summer and 19 OEM cyclone wheels for winter. Do you guys in Michigan use the same wheels in winter, using all seasons? If you experience serious snow, better to have a separate set of wheels for winter. Much cheaper winter tires, too!
IMG_20180111_100051.jpg

Sorry it's a bad photo but I just have this with winter wheels.

Re 22 with range hit, in my case it's about 8% only. That's because the speed is higher. If you drive slow, 22's range hit may reach 15-20% but if you buy separate winter wheels then you drive 22s on dry roads and if you drive fast, the difference was less than 10%.

CB5E0FF0-8994-491B-9931-627540AB6391.jpeg

We have the 90D and drive in the desert heat most of the time but we drive it up the mountains on a regular basis. Here are a few thoughts after two years and 37000 miles:
  • Get the biggest battery you can afford. You will drive the car more than any other car you have owned.
  • The car uses a LOT more power climbing hills and in cold conditions. Back to the bigger battery.
  • We have the 20” rims and were going to have them powder coated but I am to afraid we might (re-)damage them with curbs around.... It would look awesome though
  • We use autopilot all the time. I still have my hands on the wheel and follow the road but it is so much more relaxing. My first car with tacc and I wouldn’t want to be without anymore. We ordered AP on our upcoming model 3.
  • Service center and mobile service has been great here but from what I read, it heavily depends on your location. Love the mobile service which we got to use twice (new key fob and 12v battery replacement)
  • I would be careful with the 22” rims. They look fantastic but not sure how they hold up around potholes.
  • We had ours wrapped (picture is from directly after). I thought it was a crazy amount of money at the time (and still do) but it has protected the car from rocks and hail storms. We did it because we thought the automatic doors would hit something at some point which they never did. Just something to think about if you plan to keep the car for a long time.
The picture is a little dark as it was at the end of the day.

View attachment 321124
We have the 90D and drive in the desert heat most of the time but we drive it up the mountains on a regular basis. Here are a few thoughts after two years and 37000 miles:
  • Get the biggest battery you can afford. You will drive the car more than any other car you have owned.
  • The car uses a LOT more power climbing hills and in cold conditions. Back to the bigger battery.
  • We have the 20” rims and were going to have them powder coated but I am to afraid we might (re-)damage them with curbs around.... It would look awesome though
  • We use autopilot all the time. I still have my hands on the wheel and follow the road but it is so much more relaxing. My first car with tacc and I wouldn’t want to be without anymore. We ordered AP on our upcoming model 3.
  • Service center and mobile service has been great here but from what I read, it heavily depends on your location. Love the mobile service which we got to use twice (new key fob and 12v battery replacement)
  • I would be careful with the 22” rims. They look fantastic but not sure how they hold up around potholes.
  • We had ours wrapped (picture is from directly after). I thought it was a crazy amount of money at the time (and still do) but it has protected the car from rocks and hail storms. We did it because we thought the automatic doors would hit something at some point which they never did. Just something to think about if you plan to keep the car for a long time.
The picture is a little dark as it was at the end of the day.

Thanks for your insights! After two years with your MX, have you notice any battery digressing and if so how much? I've heard two year owners lose about 5-10%. You think the trade off of $16.5k is worth the battery upgrade? Do you think in the future it's possible to replace them with new batteries?

Thanks for your insights! After two years with your MX, have you notice any battery digressing and if so how much? I've heard two year owners lose about 5-10%. You think the trade off of $16.5k is worth the battery upgrade? Do you think in the future it's possible to replace them with new batteries?
Yes, 100% is now 239 miles. Original Rated was 258 which is 8%. I hope it is true what they say that most of the degradation is in the beginning.

14k is not almost half the cost of a Model 3 btw.

More like 1/4 once you account for software and extra insurance and extra registration etc on top of a singular X. And 35K Model 3 doesn’t exist.

If you don’t have a single Tesla yet, invest all your eggs into the most versatile Tesla out there.

7 seats - 100D is what I would go for today.

I bought a 6 seater 60D upgraded to 75D.

D12C4C5C-2F85-46C4-86FA-CD7ABD00AF6C.jpeg

...The Tesla wants to be driven. You will want to drive it places...

This is so damn true...i used to drive my lexus LS around 10k/year, so i figured that my lease at 10k/year would be fine... i was sooo wrong.

i crossed the 1 year mark with 18k on the clock! i've got some serious over-mileage penalties to pay now, but in my opinion it will be totally worth it. its like and additional 2 months worth of payments :)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA