Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of buying a Model X but have some questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

Looking to buy a Tesla Model X and I’m real close to pulling the trigger. I just have some questions hopefully you guys can clear up.

1. For those who own Tesla in winter seasons, how have they been holding up? Any issues with the falcon wing doors?

1. I’m debating on 75d vs 100d. I work from home so my daily commute is very minimal and travel no less then 100 miles on the weekend. But things might change when I get my Model X cause I’d be traveling more since paying no gas sounds good as hell to me, lol. I might make 1-2 big travels to visit other states and national parks if I get my X. For those with 75d, how has traveling been to you guys? Have you guys visited any cool places? Is there anything you regret or wish you changed? And those with 100d, how has your experience been? Paying an extra $14k is a lot for the upgrade from 75d to 100d, that’s almost half the cost of the model 3.

1. Is autopilot worth getting? To those who didn’t get it, what was your reasoning?

1. 22” or 20” rims? The 22” looks way better but I’ve heard that it reduces your range significantly and you feel bumps on the road more. To those who have 22” or have experience with both, is it true? Would you get the 20’s if you could start over again? As I wrote above, I don’t travel much but would like to when I get my Tesla, so maybe 22” won’t be a good idea even though I want it badly :/

1. When you guys had issues with the car, how was the service?

I’d like to see your guy's Model X!

DE154D98-25B7-4C59-9C4B-F842B22D84C0.jpeg
36ACD6C5-F01B-41D9-B9A5-78EC7C1EBA3D.jpeg
1. Amazing in winter
2. Your current situation says 75D is fine but if you start doing road trips you’ll definitely want a 100D.
3. Autopilot is great, I’d never consider a Tesla without it.
4. It’s about a 15% range hit with 22s. I got aftermarket 20s in black to get a similar look as the 22s. Or the 20 sonic carbons look great, if I was offing today I’d get those.
5. Service depends on how busy your service center is. Mine is not busy and I can easily get an appointment within a day or 2. Other busy ones you have to wait a week or so. Tesla is also working to get the mobile service to do more of the easy jobs which I’ll help a lot. If you’re waiting for parts (ie body damage), the wait can be a bit longer.

23CDA5B1-A080-467A-A779-F67731CA7CA5.jpeg
D0B1D405-5EBB-4B97-BC4E-42AB4D3940D9.jpeg
Hi

1) I’m in California so my winter is like summer :oops:...in general from 2017 onwards the FWD went thru a lot of design changes and are really good

2) where I’m at a 75D would be fine due to density of superchargers ..I do have a 100 though ...for where your at I wouldn’t underestimate how much battery the heater uses ..if u get a 75D your winter range will be cut like ~30% ...the 100 also charges quicker at the superchargers ..also as you mentioned you will most likely drive this more once u get ;)

3) having had 3 Tesla’s 2 w/AP I would definitely recommend ..I have driven over 90k AP miles across all cars

4) I have 22s I prefer the look ...however I don’t have to deal with snow tires ..for your location 20s are good compromise

5) service is definitely location based ..some SCs are just too crowded and experience is not as good ..I go to a smaller SC so I get personalized service :eek:...the ranger service is also good having used a few times

Good luck on your purchase and pls post pics when u get !!:cool:

• Love
Reactions: spectrum and r0xx0r
Remember that you never use '100' or '75', even on a long trip you are probably going from 95% to 10%. So, 85% of 75 kWh (or 100) is what you need to calculate on. I spent the extra for the 100 and love to have it for long trips. The 'freedom factor' is worth it, even though pricey.

Ditto on the wheels, got the standard 20's and love the extra 'moosh' factor for potholes and the mileage. :D

View attachment 320792 View attachment 320793 1. Amazing in winter
2. Your current situation says 75D is fine but if you start doing road trips you’ll definitely want a 100D.
3. Autopilot is great, I’d never consider a Tesla without it.
4. It’s about a 15% range hit with 22s. I got aftermarket 20s in black to get a similar look as the 22s. Or the 20 sonic carbons look great, if I was offing today I’d get those.
5. Service depends on how busy your service center is. Mine is not busy and I can easily get an appointment within a day or 2. Other busy ones you have to wait a week or so. Tesla is also working to get the mobile service to do more of the easy jobs which I’ll help a lot. If you’re waiting for parts (ie body damage), the wait can be a bit longer.

Thanks for the insightful reply! I'm pretty new to Tesla parts so I'm not sure how I'd go about getting aftermarket rims. Ideally I think getting the 20s in black would be the way to go but how do I go about that? Also, do you recommend powder coating my wheels?

Do you have pics of your Black 20" outside on a nice day? I think they would help me get more perspective.

1. FWD in winter - I had mine in Erie, PA last Xmas for the 70+" snowstorm - vehicle worked flawlessly. Ice will build-up around the door seams as heat escapes, melts snow and it re-freezes - but the doors opened and closed without problem.

2. 75D vs 100D - I had an 85D Model S before buying my 100D X - I, like you, have a minimal daily commute and the 100D is overkill. However, when I road trip, the extra mileage and confidence leads to less range anxiety that I had with my 85. The X does burn through more power (just like a car with gas will when it is larger) and if you load it up with stuff/kids the extra capacity on a road trip may mean one less stop, ability to drive faster, and with hills less concern about range anxiety. My two-cents worth - I just looked at it like insurance, you can never have too much!

3. Autopilot - this is a no brainer - ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Minus the new nagging (knee jerk reaction to the accident in CA I bet) it takes a lot of stress off during a long road trip - and even in bumper to bumper morning traffic. You MUST pay attention, but it makes life much easier.

4. Rim size - I have both - I use 22's for summer and 20's for winter. 22's are much better for performance (fast driving) but 20's are great either way. I had my 20's painted black and they look ALMOST as good as my 22's. I use Teslafi to monitor my usage. My May driving on my 20's was 545 wh/mi with some road tripping. My June and July on my 22's has been 408 and 412 respectively (with trips to NC and multiple within the state). I think using the heater is a bigger drain than the tires are! With you being in MI, though, I'd make sure you have 20's to put winter tires on.

5. Like all dealerships, service can be an issue (I will never bring my Jeep back to a Chrysler dealer ever again) but with my Teslas I really have not had problems. My S had two problems in 3 years (same door handle kept breaking) and with the X, other than some minor things form delivery no problems. I had my shelf bracket (plastic piece) in the trunk break, they ordered me a new one and actually had a ranger come out and do the work while my X was parked while I golfed...it was the easiest fix I have ever experienced.

Good luck!

Reactions: 365gtb4 and P85_DA
If it is your family car, I suggest you go for X100D. You never know about the future, when your family want to go to a place that 600 miles away. More range will save you *some* charge stop.

The 22” rim looks cool, but it costs you 15%-20% range of your X. X100D with 22” rims might have less range than X75D with 20” rims.

Traveling? Again, EAP is definitely worth in this case. Even you don’t use Autosteer, the cruise mode on EAP activated car would reduce your stress on a long distance drive or on freeway.

I’m in California, have no idea with winter thing. But the SC here is awesome. They solved all of my complaints. The only thing is I’ve never had a mode X loaner. The best thing they gave me was a model S. When I asked for a SUV, they offered me a giant ICE SUV/Minivan.

Except the FWD, issue magnet & problem anxiety (everytime I open the door with cars surrounded). The Model X is the best car to me.

Hope you will get your model X soon & join our X family ^^

2337BD50-198F-4369-9086-D07D79A552FD.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
E48CB68D-9562-41D2-88E1-682B02DE5A49.jpeg
F222F317-9383-4292-93B5-11B856780097.jpeg
Thanks for the insightful reply! I'm pretty new to Tesla parts so I'm not sure how I'd go about getting aftermarket rims. Ideally I think getting the 20s in black would be the way to go but how do I go about that? Also, do you recommend powder coating my wheels?

Do you have pics of your Black 20" outside on a nice day? I think they would help me get more perspective.

I have @Tsportline wheels. Check out their website for info and good pics. They are the TST 20s for the model x.

Can’t find good photos outside at the moment but here’s a couple

Edit- power coating is also a good option, tho I know little about it. Plenty here will chime in on that.

As an owner of a 75D X, I would suggest you get the 100D if you can afford it. While the 75D is plenty enough for our driving, there are many times the 100D would have come in very handy. Like when you drive back home and with only 40 miles left and your family decided to go out for dinner 15 miles away. What do you do? Charge at home for a hour or 2? Take a different car? Go charge at a supercharger for 10 min?

I read here in plenty posts that people who bought the 75D wished they have gone for the 100D. I have yet to read a single post where a 100D owner said, I really really wish I have gone with a smaller battery.

View attachment 320797 View attachment 320796 Hi

1) I’m in California so my winter is like summer :oops:...in general from 2017 onwards the FWD went thru a lot of design changes and are really good

2) where I’m at a 75D would be fine due to density of superchargers ..I do have a 100 though ...for where your at I wouldn’t underestimate how much battery the heater uses ..if u get a 75D your winter range will be cut like ~30% ...the 100 also charges quicker at the superchargers ..also as you mentioned you will most likely drive this more once u get ;)

3) having had 3 Tesla’s 2 w/AP I would definitely recommend ..I have driven over 90k AP miles across all cars

4) I have 22s I prefer the look ...however I don’t have to deal with snow tires ..for your location 20s are good compromise

5) service is definitely location based ..some SCs are just too crowded and experience is not as good ..I go to a smaller SC so I get personalized service :eek:...the ranger service is also good having used a few times

View attachment 320797 View attachment 320796 Hi

Looks AMAZING!! Thanks for your insight :)

My only issue with winter is front frameless windows that sometimes freeze and won’t open or close bc they can’t scoot down to clear the roof rail. I learned a little window wax goes a long way for this. I have the dark grey PC rims and ceramic coated them. Eventually sand, rocks, ice are going to mark them but so far so good through first (bad) winter and spring.
If you need a referral code for free SC please PM me.

• Informative
View attachment 320799 View attachment 320800

I have @Tsportline wheels. Check out their website for info and good pics. They are the TST 20s for the model x.

Can’t find good photos outside at the moment but here’s a couple

Edit- power coating is also a good option, tho I know little about it. Plenty here will chime in on that.

Wow they look amazing.Yeah I think this is what I'll definitely do. Was yours matte black or gloss? Also this will be my first purchased car so hopefully this wont be a dumb question, but I can buy the wheels on TSportline and have my local shop install them right?

As an owner of a 75D X, I would suggest you get the 100D if you can afford it. While the 75D is plenty enough for our driving, there are many times the 100D would have come in very handy. Like when you drive back home and with only 40 miles left and your family decided to go out for dinner 15 miles away. What do you do? Charge at home for a hour or 2? Take a different car? Go charge at a supercharger for 10 min?

I read here in plenty posts that people who bought the 75D wished they have gone for the 100D. I have yet to read a single post where a 100D owner said, I really really wish I have gone with a smaller battery.

Very good points.

Will add that into consideration.

1. FWD in winter - I had mine in Erie, PA last Xmas for the 70+" snowstorm - vehicle worked flawlessly. Ice will build-up around the door seams as heat escapes, melts snow and it re-freezes - but the doors opened and closed without problem.

2. 75D vs 100D - I had an 85D Model S before buying my 100D X - I, like you, have a minimal daily commute and the 100D is overkill. However, when I road trip, the extra mileage and confidence leads to less range anxiety that I had with my 85. The X does burn through more power (just like a car with gas will when it is larger) and if you load it up with stuff/kids the extra capacity on a road trip may mean one less stop, ability to drive faster, and with hills less concern about range anxiety. My two-cents worth - I just looked at it like insurance, you can never have too much!

3. Autopilot - this is a no brainer - ABSOLUTELY!!!!! Minus the new nagging (knee jerk reaction to the accident in CA I bet) it takes a lot of stress off during a long road trip - and even in bumper to bumper morning traffic. You MUST pay attention, but it makes life much easier.

4. Rim size - I have both - I use 22's for summer and 20's for winter. 22's are much better for performance (fast driving) but 20's are great either way. I had my 20's painted black and they look ALMOST as good as my 22's. I use Teslafi to monitor my usage. My May driving on my 20's was 545 wh/mi with some road tripping. My June and July on my 22's has been 408 and 412 respectively (with trips to NC and multiple within the state). I think using the heater is a bigger drain than the tires are! With you being in MI, though, I'd make sure you have 20's to put winter tires on.

This was helpful. Thanks for the insight!