Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of getting a Model S: Would you recommend it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it all comes down to how much you appreciate a very well refined premium interior or if you are happy with the minimalistic approach Tesla takes. As others have said their are entirely different cars not just because of the drivetrain.

If you care about that it's really not such a simple choice as some here say. When I drove my friends Tesla on a business trip I missed things like hooks for my suit. There didn't seem to be some dedicated place for sunglasses. Even the required emergency vest was cramped into the glove compartment. No storage under the armrest. Others seems to miss the handles at the ceiling. Kinda disappointing, because these add a lot of everyday value and are easy to implement, I mean come on a hook?

Apart from the quality of the interior these is also the design. I love that little analogue clock in the E-Class small things like that just bring a overall design together for me and it doesn't look like someone put a loveless screen.

I was hoping Tesla would address many of these things with the Model 3 when I put down my reservation, but it seems like they stick with this route apart from adding a bit of storage.

Also technology wise Tesla seems to focus almost exclusivity on Autopilot. So you won't get things like Multibeam LED lights and at least so far not 360° camera or headup display, although I expect these to come at least with the Model 3. But as you are buying now those might also be things to consider.

I remember being a bit put off by the lack of "stuff" in the interior in comparison to many previous BMWs. That lasted for a week or so and then I came to appreciate the lack of places to store junk I really did not want in my car in the first place. I'm also a relatively big guy and have come to like having more room in the car.

It occurred to me that I had been fed so much advertising about the addition of this widget, 20 more horsepower, another gear in the transmission and such being "significant" model year changes with every four years or so having the scoops moved around a bit. All of that stuff may have made for small incremental changes but overall amounted to little more than polishing a turd. The electric drive train implemented in a ground up BeV centric design is simply light years ahead of even the most advanced ICE. Why should I have to start my car? Why should I wait for fluids to come up to temperature before I can use the car's performance? Why should I have to put up with all the jerking and delays while my car searches for the right gear? Until I experience something like a Tesla, I had no idea that life did not have to be like that. I fall into the same trap as a lot of other posters that have responded to this thread in that the question is not should you but why one earth would you not? Please do remember this is an enthusiast's forum :)

If you were more specific - do you commute? How far? do you do road trips? Any frequent destinations? etc. it might be helpful - otherwise it has to be a purely personal decision

Howdy! My commute from home to work is about 20 mins (10 miles). I do however drive a good amount (current car, which is a Tribeca, averaged around 13k miles/ year). Usually Pittsburgh to Wash DC, sometimes Chicago and other neighboring cities/states.

Love the responses of the group here! Thanks so much for your suggestions - - very useful.

In terms of ownership cost, the MB is very expensive once you are out of warranty. The service and support are excellent, but if you hold the car past warranty you'll find you'll find yourself dropping a lot of cash just for regular maintenance, and when something breaks (and things do break), don't plan on departing the dealership for less than $2,000.

Great points. I completely get that I'm talking about 2 very different cars. Thanks for your awesome feedback. Very helpful.

SO... one lingering question I have for ALL of you...

What about the life of the battery and the possible cost of replacing it after some years?
  • What's been your experience/ what have you seen with other Tesla owners who've had theirs for a while?
  • What would this cost (to swap out a battery)?
THANK YOU for your responses!! I'm on the verge of deciding...

teslas7.png

SO... one lingering question I have for ALL of you...

What about the life of the battery and the possible cost of replacing it after some years?
  • What's been your experience/ what have you seen with other Tesla owners who've had theirs for a while?
  • What would this cost (to swap out a battery)?
THANK YOU for your responses!! I'm on the verge of deciding...

teslas7.png

Hi,

The battery in the Model S is not something that needs replacing unless you are a commercial driver with very high mileage. At 100,000 miles you should expect to have 93% of capacity left. The chart below is from the survey HERE.

Q7cu4bJ.gif

The Model S is the best car I've ever owned. (Probably the best product of any category I've owned). I'd choose my 3 and a half year old Model S over any other new car, except a new Model S.

As far as the battery holding up: My P85 had 265 miles of range when new. Now, nearly 3 and half years, and 56k miles later, it is 260. So little less than 2% degradation.

Worth noting that internal combustion engines wear over time as well, so an ICE with 56k miles won't make as much power or have quite the range as it did when new.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Luxury - MB
Sportiness - MS
Fit/Finish/Comfort - MB
Performance - MS
Technology - MS
Service - MB

I owned a MB AMG S63. I really miss the interior comfort of that car. The Model S is tops of anything I've had as far as performance. I no longer drive long distances, so I would continue to chose the Model S over the MB. However, if I were driving long distances like I used to, I would choose the MB.

e300vxms.jpg

I have recently ordered the Model S after looking at new cars. In the past year I test drove the BMW 535i and MB E350. Nice cars, both of them. But you must test drive an S! I was sold on it as soon as I hit the pedal. Smooth ride ,AP and constant updates to keep the vehicle current. My final decision was not even close! Looking back on it I don't even remember why I was interested in the MB and BMW. The S is that good! :)

I'm in a similar situation to Singleview. I currently have 2015 S550 which I lease. I bought it for the luxury, comfort, technology and prestige. I use the massaging seats and Distronic Plus and electronic driving aids regularly. My car has been mostly problem-free.

I drove the Model S and was impressed with everything but the rear seat comfort. I liked the comfort in the Model X a bit more, but the X isn't attractive unless the falcon-wing doors are open.

My lease is up in a couple months. I might buy my current car or lease a MS or MX. It's not an easy decision.

I'm in a similar situation to Singleview. I currently have 2015 S550 which I lease. I bought it for the luxury, comfort, technology and prestige. I use the massaging seats and Distronic Plus and electronic driving aids regularly. My car has been mostly problem-free.

I drove the Model S and was impressed with everything but the rear seat comfort. I liked the comfort in the Model X a bit more, but the X isn't attractive unless the falcon-wing doors are open.

My lease is up in a couple months. I might buy my current car or lease a MS or MX. It's not an easy decision.

There are so many benefits for a Model X or S compared to an ICE that to me the only question I would ask is do I need the utility and extra seating that the Model X has? If not, then the Model S :cool:

The S550 is a much bigger car inside; if you need that space, you won't be happy with the MS. But with regard to technology, it's like comparing a state of the art propeller plane to a jet. With regard to prestige, that's entirely dependent on who you hang around with.

The S550 should be problem free for another two years or so, it's after they got out of warranty that MB's become an issue.