Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I'm thinking of putting 18" wheels on my M3P. Traction question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, those or the Pilot Sport AS4s are probably your best options for excellent traction if you don't want to swap tires but also want to safely drive in below-freezing conditions.

Certainly tons better than the default all seasons Tesla ships new non-P cars with.

Reactions: Tes3P
@Tes3P Does it freeze - literally freeze - where you live or drive? If not, you can run any modern summer street tire (around 300 treadwear or higher) year round no problem, @gearchruncher is absolutely right about that.

Some (not all!) dual use street/track tires won't grip well cold, but you don't want that kind of tires anyways unless you'll be doing actual track or autocross time on them.

@Tes3P Does it freeze - literally freeze - where you live or drive? If not, you can run any modern summer street tire (around 300 treadwear or higher) year round no problem, @gearchruncher is absolutely right about that.

Some (not all!) dual use street/track tires won't grip well cold, but you don't want that kind of tires anyways unless you'll be doing actual track or autocross time on them.
Rarely freezes here in Sugar Land, TX but it was 12* year before last and several days below freezing this past winter. But usually only in the morning and gets well above freezing quickly.

This Continental tire has a 560 tread wear rating but according to Tire Rack very good traction even in cold air. I'm considering it. I have awhile before my Martian tires get here so subject to change. His web site says June.

Rarely freezes here in Sugar Land, TX but it was 12* year before last and several days below freezing this past winter. But usually only in the morning and gets well above freezing quickly.

This Continental tire has a 560 tread wear rating but according to Tire Rack very good traction even in cold air. I'm considering it. I have awhile before my Martian tires get here so subject to change. His web site says June.
You absolutely don't have to worry about cold weather issues with summer tires in sugar land :D

Michelin specifically says the Pilot Sports can be used down to 20F FYI and they are way stickier than a DWS06.

DWS06 literally stands for Dry Wet Snow - It's an all season tire and a good one at that, meant for very cold temps. But unless you actually drive in snow, and if you care about handling, there are better tires if you can avoid driving the car on the one day a year when it's below 20F.

Reactions: Tes3P
Michelin specifically says the Pilot Sports can be used down to 20F FYI and they are way stickier than a DWS06.

DWS06 literally stands for Dry Wet Snow - It's an all season tire and a good one at that, meant for very cold temps. But unless you actually drive in snow, and if you care about handling, there are better tires if you can avoid driving the car on the one day a year when it's below 20F.
Good info! They both have an excellent dry rating which I'm mostly concerned. However many have said these car hold traction regardless of tire I decide. It never snows here in SL, TX so not a concern. Tread life is a concern. The DWS06 better there and it's 2 # lighter, 8# total which is good. Would it be worth $140 more? (for the four) Price is a concern! LOL I still have time to make a decision. Many things to take into account.

@Tes3P - What don't you like about your current tires? If tread life and cost is a concern, and all you do is straight line stuff, then you have lots of options.
2# per corner will make zero noticeable or even really measure-able difference.
I know many like the 20’’ Überturbine Wheels. I just don't care for them. And I agree the 2# per corner won't even be measurable.

Thanks, but you commented why you don't like the wheels, not the tires. Why not put the same tires on new wheels? What trade-off about your current TIRES do you want to make differently than Tesla did?
Tires, ok...I don't dislike the factory tires. Just want to try for better. I believe some come with Pirelli and I could not find one with as good ratings as what I have mentioned.

Thanks everyone. Randy, can you post a picture of your car with the EV01+ wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport 4 A/S tires 245/45R18? I'm not sure what Gauss meant by dune buggy-ish? Too much gap from the tire to the fender?
@mrfiat74 Sorry, I didn't see your request...Here are a couple of photos of the new wheel / tire combo with and without the aero plastic covers on the wheels....This is with the stock suspension that came on the Performance 3. After living with it for several weeks now, I'm very pleased with the ride improvements from the wheels / tires...Let me know if you have questions...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 142
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    865.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    906.4 KB · Views: 106
Reactions: tm1v2
@mrfiat74 Sorry, I didn't see your request...Here are a couple of photos of the new wheel / tire combo with and without the aero plastic covers on the wheels....This is with the stock suspension that came on the Performance 3. After living with it for several weeks now, I'm very pleased with the ride improvements from the wheels / tires...Let me know if you have questions...
Its actually shocking how much better 18 inch wheels are to ride quality. Easily the best change I've made for the car.

Reactions: Tes3P and tm1v2
Thanks for the EV01+ photos @RandyS. Somehow I like them much more on the car than I expected, with aero covers off. They do shout "I'm an EV!" of course but, well, it is an EV and I think the design works for the Model 3 and looks good. 👍

It is not easy to find a dealer in Europe that sells them to Germany. To bad.