Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Image if CT actually launches at advertised prices: What will other EV trucks do?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously we are still in a state of wishes and dreams with the CT, however I wanted to vent/post something regarding options and cost. Assuming Tesla delivers and is able to produce at the price-points originally advertised, and what we know about current options for available Tesla models. There really isn't a lot of added options you would be expected to pay for if you wanted it, given all the built in options they advertised with it. (And this is kind of the dumb beauty with Tesla in general)

Exterior options:
Wheels and Tires: Ok lets say $2-$3K
Maybe an Off-road Lighting Kit: Imagine if that center light bar that was on the proto is an option ($1K)
Winch? $1K
Those deployable integrated ramps: My guess is that will be an option $1K
Skid Plate Package (Already has one sort of) (Doubtful) ($1K)
Automatic/ deployable steps/rails ($2K)

What could they possibly put on the interior?
Maybe an entertainment system for rear-seat passengers?
Interior Lighting customization
Smart glass roof (electrically charged privacy glass) $1K (I'm actually kind of surprised Tesla doesn't already offer something like this (unless its illegal for consumer cars)
Night vision option (Even Jeep has this now) $1K
HUD: $1K
I'd definitely pay for no Yoke (Yes, Throw your stones at me now!!) $500
I'd also pay for an additional cluster display (which according to some spy shots, looks like CT might actually get one!!$ 3-$4K

Trucks in general are the most optioned out vehicles out there. I know that is not Tesla's game, and I actually like that, because it obviously aids in production and also the customer pretty much knows what he/she is getting.

But the reason I say this is more an exercise in comparing to other EV Trucks. Remember when Ford announced the F150 Lightning? Starting at $39K! Wow amazing right?! Except you can't get the max battery pack in the base version (which would have put it around $49K(ish) for a 300 mi range EV Truck. Want that max range? Well now you have to step up to the XLT, but you get all these "extra options" that you cannot de-select, which make the price of that truck start at $72K before tax rebates (So $65K). I imagine that Chevy will do the same thing based on the initial literature around their 24 Silverado EV.

Rivian is the only one so far that is even remotely close to CT initial numbers. Their options are nice, and if you wanted them you buy them, but bare bones you get a really nice interior, lots of power, a smaller form factor, and a pretty good looking/unique vehicle for $60K after tax incentives. That's still $10K more than mid-tier CT was advertised as, and we can argue if its worth $10K more or not. (I recognize this is a Tesla forum so it will always swing towards the "Hell No! Territory") But in the larger EV Truck picture, Rivian has brought a compelling and competitively priced vehicle to the market, whereas the Legacy auto makers have not. They basically said, only Ford/Chevy Fan boys will buy this truck and because of that, it will be a premium product (lets not even get into the dealer markups!!)

So after all that, if a mid-tier 300 mi CT can be produced for even $55K or maybe a little more, it still ends up possibly being a better buy than a Rivian. Don't bring the SuperCharging Network into this conversation, especially since it looks like it might be opening up for more EV's. Take that out of the equation, it really comes down to how compelling the CT can be when compared to the Rivian. The other trucks are just not there in my opinion, both in cost, shady dealer and manufacturer practices, and perceived value.

Considering how much swag they’ve released for the Cybertruck plus the Cyberquad, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see options or bundles. It wouldn’t be the crazy bundles most legacy companies sell though, it would be something like Off Road Performance For $10k with some big tires and other OHV specific stuff.

There might be some options the service centers can install as well. Tires would be an easy one for them to customize.

I don’t think special glass or funky things which require retooling. That would greatly complicates the manufacturing steps.

Also, why would you need steps for a truck that’s 8 inches off the ground when parked? It’ll kneel down for you.

For context, the Model S was advertised as $49,900 in 2011-2012 prior to launch. (I know very well, as I had to explain to wife why the car actually was 100k out the door in 2012)

When the Model S launched batteries cost $800+ / kWh and they are down around $100/ kWh right now, likely less for the Cybertruck with 4680s.

These comparisons don’t make a ton of sense to me.

They are going to be forced to launch it at the advertised price or offer some serious upgrades.

Right now I see no reason to buy a Cybertruck over the F-150 Lightening.

The only reason I see to buy one over a Rivian is the Tesla charging network.

Face it, Tesla got beat to market on the truck and it’s going to cost them.

Reactions: buckets0fun
They are going to be forced to launch it at the advertised price or offer some serious upgrades.

Right now I see no reason to buy a Cybertruck over the F-150 Lightening.

The only reason I see to buy one over a Rivian is the Tesla charging network.

Face it, Tesla got beat to market on the truck and it’s going to cost them.
Tesla got beat to market with the Model 3 also.

They weren’t even the first EV on the market.

So you think they are going to come out of the gate with something more expensive, with fewer features, poorer build quality, and that’s going to work out in their favor?

Competition has caught up a bit since 2018.

I’d love to hear your idea of what the Model 3s competition was. On the one hand we had the Leaf, which was interesting and affordable, but was ugly and never had a range more than 150 miles or so. On the other had we had the Bolt which was also ugly and also had significantly less range than the Model 3. Both charged quite slowly and the bolt catches fire and burns and cost it’s builder (LG) $3 billion dollars to clean up.

But you want to talk about a few cosmetic things with the Model 3? People overwhelmingly love the Model 3 in spite of the cosmetic issues. The fact that it has through the roof resale value versus its competitors tells you how much better a car it is and was at the time.

Yes, I think the Cybertruck will be very nearly analogous to the Model 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteWi
I think it doesn't matter because every EV truck made will sell at whatever price for the next 2 years. There are not enough batteries nor enough chips (apparently). So no matter what truck Tesla releases they wont be delivering my model for a few years (bare bones long range). Nor will Ford. Nor will Rivian. It's going to be a lux buy. Huge margins for all 3 makers.

I think it doesn't matter because every EV truck made will sell at whatever price for the next 2 years. There are not enough batteries nor enough chips (apparently). So no matter what truck Tesla releases they wont be delivering my model for a few years (bare bones long range). Nor will Ford. Nor will Rivian. It's going to be a lux buy. Huge margins for all 3 makers.
It’s a bad time to buy a truck.

I’m hoping Tesla is sandbagging their production estimates for the Cybertruck and will be cranking out 400-600k/ year by end of first year of production. Also hoping they start early in 2023.

Fortunately my truck should be 6-9 months after start of production.

I’d love to hear your idea of what the Model 3s competition was. On the one hand we had the Leaf, which was interesting and affordable, but was ugly and never had a range more than 150 miles or so. On the other had we had the Bolt which was also ugly and also had significantly less range than the Model 3. Both charged quite slowly and the bolt catches fire and burns and cost it’s builder (LG) $3 billion dollars to clean up.

But you want to talk about a few cosmetic things with the Model 3? People overwhelmingly love the Model 3 in spite of the cosmetic issues. The fact that it has through the roof resale value versus its competitors tells you how much better a car it is and was at the time.

Yes, I think the Cybertruck will be very nearly analogous to the Model 3.
This thread is about the Cybertruck.

The competition I am referring to is Ford and Rivian.

The Model 3 has nothing to do with it. This is not 2018 anymore.

You are talking in circles.
Nope. You are failing to follow along.

I’ll start again by saying the exact same thing I originally posted. Let me know where there is any mention of a Model 3 or competition to the Model 3 at its time of release.

“So you think they are going to come out of the gate with something more expensive, with fewer features, poorer build quality, and that’s going to work out in their favor?

Competition* has caught up a bit since 2018.”

*where competition in the truck space = Rivian and Ford

Reactions: AMPd
Nope. You are failing to follow along.

I’ll start again by saying the exact same thing I originally posted. Let me know where there is any mention of a Model 3 or competition to the Model 3 at its time of release.

“So you think they are going to come out of the gate with something more expensive, with fewer features, poorer build quality, and that’s going to work out in their favor?

Competition* has caught up a bit since 2018.”

*where competition in the truck space = Rivian and Ford
No evidence the situation is any difference.

Rivian (actual measured) charge speed peaks at around 180 kW. Significantly slower than Tesla’s last generation batteries.

Base Ford has a 230 mile range and similar slow charging.

Maybe if the competitors were in the ballpark with Tesla’s 4 year old tech it would be more worrisome. It’s looking very much the same as the Model 3 launch.

I think you're cherry picking data a bit Ogre. The base case CT didn't have much range and it's not going to be produced, they've already removed it. The Ford lightening has pre sold, that's something that the competitors to the 3 never managed to get off the ground. Ford's first EV- the mache has done very well competing against the Y (though I wouldn't buy one) and they'll be selling Lightenings before the CT is out. Maybe a year of sales.

I can't speak to the Rivian- well marketed but terrible production rates. Rivian is what we all feared Tesla would be, so slow to market it would be crushed.

Tesla has yet to finalize the CT yet. They don't have enough 4680 to power them. They can't even open up Berlin yet (and it is not because of bureaucracy- they didn't even submit final paperwork til December) and they can't produce the CT or Semi due to lack of chips and batteries. Tesla has hit a wall re production and next year they'll hit another one, they already told us as much on the earnings call. It will be a miracle if any decent numbers of CT come off the line in 2023. That will give Ford a long lead time, lots of marketing, lots of interest, and a sales backlog if the Lightening is any good at all. 2024 is the first year I'd expect to see realistic numbers of CTs coming off the line and that hurts me. I could really use one in my line of work. My own f350 is beat to crap.

Consumers aren't looking at things like "charge speeds". They'll see if they like the looks, how fast it is, range, how functional, how cool, etc. Lightening and Rivian both score fine. Especially if you can buy one today vs waiting. I'll reiterate though, everybody will sell as many as they can make. In this regard I would agree that it is not like when the 3 launched, the competitors are indeed catching up. I think Ford is now moving faster than VW and with more forewarning re the battery fire risk that is currently engulfing VW hopefully they stay ahead of it. Fine with me if Ford survived. Some OEMs will.

I think you're cherry picking data a bit Ogre. The base case CT didn't have much range and it's not going to be produced, they've already removed it.

They removed all of the Cybertruck configurations, not just the base one. We have no clue what the base CT will look like. Or the middle tier or the top tier.

Tesla has yet to finalize the CT yet. They don't have enough 4680 to power them. They can't even open up Berlin yet (and it is not because of bureaucracy- they didn't even submit final paperwork til December) and they can't produce the CT or Semi due to lack of chips and batteries. Tesla has hit a wall re production and next year they'll hit another one, they already told us as much on the earnings call. It will be a miracle if any decent numbers of CT come off the line in 2023. That will give Ford a long lead time, lots of marketing, lots of interest, and a sales backlog if the Lightening is any good at all. 2024 is the first year I'd expect to see realistic numbers of CTs coming off the line and that hurts me. I could really use one in my line of work. My own f350 is beat to crap.

Ford… can’t even produce their ICE F-150s or their Mustang Mach E right now. They are in the middle of a multi-week long shutdown. Any chip/ cell shortage which Tesla has seems to hit the rest of the industry twice as hard. Or at least that’s been the case to date.

You are making a bunch of predictions about future production here which have little to do with the reality we’re seeing right now.

Simply: We don’t know what Ford or Tesla’s production will look like in 2023.
Consumers aren't looking at things like "charge speeds".
It’s funny, when the Model 3 launched people said the charge speed difference didn’t matter then either. Yet here 4 years later, the Model 3 is the only one still shipping in volume and the only one which has a decent resale value.

Considering charge speed is one of the most common criticisms of EVs. What in god’s name makes you say this?