Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Imagining the Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We saw artists take their best guess in renderings for the new Roadster, which weren’t really on target. Still, it’s fun to imagine. And that game is starting again with the Model Y.

Tesla has teased a pair of shadowy rendering, one from the front and one from the side. Based on those, graphic artist Miguel Massé has shared a couple images of what Tesla’s all-electric crossover may look like.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-05-at-7.02.05-PM.png
Tesla’s image of the Model Y

Y1.jpg
Massé’s image of the Model Y

Tesla has said the Model Y will be unveiled in March.

Massé even took a crack at what a Tesla compact car may look like. Tesla CEO Elon Musk said at the company’s recent shareholder meeting that the company will produce a small car in about five years. You can see that Massé leaned heavily on the Model 3 for his render of a Tesla compact.

Tcompact.jpg
Massé’s image of a Tesla compact

What do you think, do these designs appeal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think interior specs slightly more important than aerodynamic profile. What do I mean?
head room and leg room in the back seats even if we must get slightly lower cd rating
Of course the usual safety and doesn't need to compete/match with Model 3 acceleration - practical vs performance. You get the idea.

SUV vs Wagon - Isn't it the height that people prefer of SUV vs Wagon design?

The problem I find with most renderings is they take the statement "it will be built on the Model 3 platform" too literally and try to stretch the Model 3 styling into crossover proportions. The results generally look unflattering. Two things you can count on are different shaped headlights and more cladding around the base.

Great, stupid designer weight added to make it look macho, without purpose.

Make it about the size of a Passat Wagon it they will sell the hell out of it, especially in europe where people dont need to tower over all cars for all the awesome :rolleyes: high center of gravity for excellent rollover capability. No thanks give me sport wagon

In the US, nearly 28,000 rollover accidents are recorded every year, with at least 600 of those rollover accidents occurring in Florida. Out of those 600, approximately 450 rollovers result in serious injury while more than 50 result in one or more fatalities. This means that nearly one person is killed each week. While commercial truck rollovers tend to make news reports as high-profile accidents, SUVs and pick-up trucks account for the largest segment of rollover crashes in the country.

Rollover Accident Definition
Any accident in which a vehicle overturns is considered to be a rollover. The vehicle may stop and come to a rest on its roof, its side, or back on its wheels after rolling over any number of times. Rollover accidents fall under one of two classifications:

• Tripped Rollover: Caused by an impact of force applied by another external object such as a curb, uneven pavement, barrier or another vehicle.
  • Un-tripped Rollover: This occurs when overcompensation, speed and friction produce destabilizing forces strong enough to flip or roll the vehicle over using its own weight and momentum. Some un-tripped rollovers occur as a result of manufacturer defects, such as axle component failure or tire blowouts.
Rollover Accident Statistics
  • More than four in ten Americans think they are safer in a n SUV than in a regular car
  • Nearly 50% of Americans do not consider that loading contributes to the risk of rollovers.
  • SUVs rollover more easily than other types of vehicles-about 37% of fatal crashes, as compared to a 15% rollover rate for passenger cars
  • Fatalities result in 50% of rollover crashes
  • 80% of people who died in rollover accidents were not wearing seatbelts
  • 55% of all single car crashes involve vehicle rollovers
  • 75% of all rollovers involve SUVs, minivans, or pick-up trucks

Last edited:

Make it about the size of a Passat Wagon it they will sell the hell out of it, especially in europe where people dont need to tower over all cars for all the awesome :rolleyes: high center of gravity for excellent rollover capability. No thanks give me sport wagon

In the US, nearly 28,000 rollover accidents are recorded every year, with at least 600 of those rollover accidents occurring in Florida. Out of those 600, approximately 450 rollovers result in serious injury while more than 50 result in one or more fatalities. This means that nearly one person is killed each week. While commercial truck rollovers tend to make news reports as high-profile accidents, SUVs and pick-up trucks account for the largest segment of rollover crashes in the country.

Any accident in which a vehicle overturns is considered to be a rollover. The vehicle may stop and come to a rest on its roof, its side, or back on its wheels after rolling over any number of times. Rollover accidents fall under one of two classifications:

• Tripped Rollover: Caused by an impact of force applied by another external object such as a curb, uneven pavement, barrier or another vehicle.
  • Un-tripped Rollover: This occurs when overcompensation, speed and friction produce destabilizing forces strong enough to flip or roll the vehicle over using its own weight and momentum. Some un-tripped rollovers occur as a result of manufacturer defects, such as axle component failure or tire blowouts.
  • More than four in ten Americans think they are safer in a n SUV than in a regular car
  • Nearly 50% of Americans do not consider that loading contributes to the risk of rollovers.
  • SUVs rollover more easily than other types of vehicles-about 37% of fatal crashes, as compared to a 15% rollover rate for passenger cars

Good points, but remember the Model X has a very low rollover potential due to the heavy battery pack, so I doubt rollover will be an issue with the Model Y either.

Last edited:
I think interior specs slightly more important than aerodynamic profile. What do I mean?
head room and leg room in the back seats even if we must get slightly lower cd rating
Of course the usual safety and doesn't need to compete/match with Model 3 acceleration - practical vs performance. You get the idea.

SUV vs Wagon - Isn't it the height that people prefer of SUV vs Wagon design?

Yes, and given that the battery pack in the floor takes up some of the leg room, a little bit more height should greatly improve seating height and comfort.

That video is so old, it’s clearly not relevant to any current production SUV’s. It definitely makes me question how old and outdated the statistics you are listing are. It is fun to watch historical footage to see how far modern safe SUV’s have come. The model T was very dangerous, we probably should not compare those to modern cars either.

Reactions: Xolt
The video is old, and those stats might be too.. but those stats tell a story, if you rollover you have a 50% of someone dying in your vehicle. In fact in many of the rollover accidents more than one person dies in the vehicle.

As pointed out by Mr. PS and Mr EV above, those chances are far lower in a Tesla due to the design, but I will always buy handling over height in a vehicle that isn't designed to go off road and have it's underbelly bang against rocks, downed trees and ford though small streams... if is a pretty little CUV for the mommies, thats fine, but not in my driveway - same reason I dont have an X.

Also they still do make those vehicles, my best friends son rolled his 2016ish Wrangler JK, just before he was supposed to go off to UVA on a full scholarship. He son survived, and is now learning to walk again, and can now form complete sentences and is understandable, unfortunately the others in the back didn't fair as well with two fatalities.

(The accident below is another example and not my friends kid), but another family who had almost the exact thing happen in the same vehicle).

Teen killed in rollover crash

Last edited:
The video is old, and those stats might be too.. but those stats tell a story, if you rollover you have a 50% of someone dying in your vehicle. In fact in many of the rollover accidents more than one person dies in the vehicle.

As pointed out by Mr. PS and Mr EV above, those chances are far lower in a Tesla due to the design, but I will always buy handling over height in a vehicle that isn't designed to go off road and have it's underbelly bang against rocks, downed trees and ford though small streams... if is a pretty little CUV for the mommies, thats fine, but not in my driveway - same reason I dont have an X.

Also they still do make those vehicles, my best friends son rolled his 2016ish Wrangler JK, just before he was supposed to go off to UVA on a full scholarship. He son survived, and is now learning to walk again, and can now form complete sentences and is understandable, unfortunately the others in the back didn't fair as well with two fatalities.

(The accident below is another example and not my friends kid), but another family who had almost the exact thing happen in the same vehicle).

Teen killed in rollover crash
The 2016 Jeep Wrangler YJ may have not been the best vehicle in a crash but it has been repaced by a totally new 2018 Wrangler TJ that is rated substantially better and safer in all areas. My point is if you look at stats even 1-2 years old they are no longer relevant. A new SUV is safer than most cars built just a few years ago because safety designs are evolving so quickly. The 50% chance of dying in a rollover obviously is outdated too and would need some current statistics. It’s fun to call the X an SUV but most realize it’s a marketing gimmick. I have more confidence in our X safety than an older sedan, and in someways more than our S due to the slightly higher driving position that might give just the slightest advantage in visibility. The accident you avoid is better than even the most minor accident you’re involved in.

Last edited:
The 2016 Jeep Wrangler YJ may have not been the best vehicle in a crash but it has been repaced by a totally new 2018 Wrangler TJ that is rated substantially better and safer in all areas. My point is if you look at stats even 1-2 years old they are no longer relevant. A new SUV is safer than most cars built just a few years ago because safety designs are evolving so quickly. The 50% chance of dying in a rollover obviously is outdated too and would need some current statistics. It’s fun to call the X an SUV but most realize it’s a marketing gimmick. I have more confidence in our X safety than an older sedan.

All probably true, but this fact has hit too close to home in our immediate family too many times.. 50% is too high, 25% is too high...

I would never put my family in this situation-- EVER...

AUTO DEATHS

11px-Decrease_Positive.svg.png
-0.9%
2015 35,485
2016 37,461
2017 40,100

As you can verify, 2014 was the all time low death rate for auto accidents.
Some articles were claiming 2016 broke 40,000 (color me a little confused)??

ANY WAY as you see - a long downward trend has started going back up in 2015.
many claim cell phones

Also with some searching you will find other first world countries are 2x to 4x less deaths per mile.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler