Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Imagining the worst - what would happen if your car jacked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Bit of a grim question I know but these days it's a genuine concern.

I'm confident that my car won't be stolen off my driveway due to the security features and pin to drive etc.

But what would happen if someone car jacked you with the "engine running" so to speak?

Assuming your phone/key is in your pocket rather than on charge or something, would it stop when out of range of the key? Could you stop it remotely? I'm genuinely curious.

My toyota would unfortunately drive for as long as you wanted without the key in, just wouldn't start again once it was switched off obviously.

Bit of a grim question I know but these days it's a genuine concern.

I'm confident that my car won't be stolen off my driveway due to the security features and pin to drive etc.

But what would happen if someone car jacked you with the "engine running" so to speak?

Assuming your phone/key is in your pocket rather than on charge or something, would it stop when out of range of the key? Could you stop it remotely? I'm genuinely curious.

My toyota would unfortunately drive for as long as you wanted without the key in, just wouldn't start again once it was switched off obviously.

Are you a potential thief looking for information? ;)

Valet mode, phone the police, track the car and tell the cops where to head it off. What I wouldn't do is try to be a hero

Oh lord no - not worth getting stabbed or worse over something like this for sure! Just nice to know you have options to at least increase the chances of getting it back.

I would sign up for grammar lessons immediately:)

Hah! I was just pleased I didn't have any spelling mistakes. Typed that out on my phone which is difficult enough at the best of times.

Are you a potential thief looking for information? ;)

Of course not! Just let me know your bank details and I'll send you some money immediately as proof ;)

If you are genuinely worried about this. What I suggest you do is move.

Oh if only it were that easy, i've moved away from London twice, further each time but unfortunately I still have plenty of friends that live in very rough areas, and while thankfully rare, these things do happen and I would imagine a Tesla might be a tempting proposition for a would-be thief.

Power off remotely would be far too dangerous .. think a family member driving on the freeway and you accidentally tap power off button. Not good.

Totally agree! Although some sort of gradual reduction in power until eventually being forced to stop would be nice. Give the person a chance to get out of that fast lane and park up somewhere etc.

If full self driving worked you could set navigation to the nearest police station... :)

Now that is truly the dream! Maybe one day ;) Although probably by that point there won't be any point in stealing cars anyway.

I would sign up for grammar lessons immediately:)
Just what I was thinking :) I read the title several times before I realised what it was saying. At first I thought it meant jack-knifing in the snow or maybe slipping when jacked-up.

You know what they say - grammar is the difference between knowing you're sh1t and knowing your sh1t !

:)

PS - OP, we all make mistakes, and quick typing on phones makes it worse, so don't take this as any dig at you - just a side note on the written language.

I’d hope it would be rare and if it did happen more likely to be an opportunist rather than targeted as I’d assume anyone who would be targeting Tesla would already be aware of all its features and presumably how much of a pain in the ass it would be to nick.

Also the doors are locked by default whenever you drive so that’s got to help lower the chances...

But I agree with the others - if they want it they can have it!

Can you not power it off, blow the horn and so on?

No, much as stealing a car is a serious crime, forcing a car to stop remotely it's in the fast lane of the M1 would be putting other people's lives at risk. I assume you can't blow the horn on a car that's being driven,not tried, you can mess with the seat heaters and volume though.

As others pointed out they will probably need a key and the pin to put it in drive anyway, and under menaces you would give it to them. I have the Model 3 key, so perhaps would keep my phone.

No, much as stealing a car is a serious crime, forcing a car to stop remotely it's in the fast lane of the M1 would be putting other people's lives at risk. I assume you can't blow the horn on a car that's being driven,not tried, you can mess with the seat heaters and volume though.

As others pointed out they will probably need a key and the pin to put it in drive anyway, and under menaces you would give it to them. I have the Model 3 key, so perhaps would keep my phone.
No motorways here in Norfolk. More likely thieves will get stuck behind a tractor :p