TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Immersive Sound on New MCU?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Daniellane, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Sound on my March 2018 Build Model S 100D seems significantly better than it was on my 2017 March Build Model S 90D. It’s actually amazing!
    Is it possible that this is a carryover from the Model 3 which shares a similar if not the same MCU?
    Is the Immersive New sound option a firmware thing? Does anyone see this with the old MCU on 2018.12?
    ECD65992-8A6E-418D-A165-81CA94DF865D.jpeg

2. vraev

vraev Member

Don't have it on the old MCU. I think it is limited to the new MCU and the new speaker setup. Oh well.. I am glad I got the premium package with UHF audio. My experience in the loaner 2016 90D with base audio was very underwhelming. Was just like my 2006 civic. Coming back to my car, the experience was immediately much better.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  3. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

Did Tesla update the speakers on newer cars? or did they just add some new software processing?

4. boonedocks

boonedocks Active Member

Hopefully it will be a new CODEC for all of us with UHF sound systems. It has always shown Dolby in our cars, 2018.10.4 still tho, but Immersive Sound is a different animal altogether.

Immersive Sound

5. DMack

DMack Member

Is this only a feature for those with the PUP?
    I have the upgraded sound system and noticed that feature when i got my car a few weeks ago.

What i did noticed was missing on min that was present in the older 85D loaner was an option for Dolby Surround.

6. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

The consensus is that this is a hardware /MCU2 thing at least for now. Based on the link in post #4 above yours,
    I’d say Dolby Is a subset of Immersive Sound which is the latest and greatest.

7. markn455

markn455 Member

My late February build wth the old MCU does not have the Immersive Sound option. Also, I am currently in a loaner with 2018.12? and the old MCU. This car does not have the Immersive sound option.

8. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

Definitely not an option with the old MCU on 18.12 all I get is dolby, Id also like to point out that 18.12 made my premium sound sound go to crap, its sounds very flat and digital now even when streaming from a high quality flac or wav file. Ive sent an email to Tesla support about it and hopefully that can restore the way it was before this update...

• Like x 1
  9. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Possibly apples to oranges, but compared to my 2013 Model S with Premium Sound (Dolby), I think my new X with new MCU and "Immersive Sound" sounds worse.

• Informative x 1
  10. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

I’m comparing my March build 2017 Model S to my March build March build 2018 Model S. Very apples to apples.
    So it could be an S versus X thing for you or just a matter of personal taste.

11. Tech_Guy

Worth mentioning the X has more speakers then the S does as well.

Also my car is a June 2016 Model S build and I never use Dolby as I don't like how it sounds I had all my EQ sliders at 0 before this update now nothing helps the EQ sliders can't change the way Tesla is processing the tracks / audio / sound!!

12. Daniellane

Daniellane Active Member

Not sure a larger space & more speakers equates to a better experience.
    Try putting on a pair of high end professional headphones. Talk about getting emmersed in the Sound.

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's what I meant: maybe just an S to an X thing. In any event, to my ear, my 2103 S sounded better than my 2018 X. Not that it's horrible or anything like that...

14. nexusone

nexusone Member

My 3 week old MS with PUP sounds terrible. CS suggested that they replace all the speakers and pad the doors/grills next visit. I'm using headphones in the car it's so bad.

• Informative x 1
  15. Astraviel

Astraviel Member

I expect a car from 2103 to sound better than from 2018.

• Funny x 2
  16. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

Friends don’t let friends use Dolby :).

The best sound I’ve heard in an S comes from a Reus Audio upgrade. Had both the base package in the first S and the premium package in the second S Reus-ified.

I look forward to three next steps:

1. Sitting in a friend’s Model 3 to hear that Immersive Sound.

then

2. Upgrading my MCU to hear this new in-car Immersive Sound with the Reus enhancements.

and

3. Making an A/B USB stick with both FLAC and .mp3 (192kbps, 320kbps) versions of a dozen or so popular tracks so that people can hear and appreciate the difference for themselves.

Tangentially, if you want to hear music absolutely the way it was produced, and I don’t recommend doing this in the car, pick up some electrostatic earphones. They deliver Orpheus II-quality sound without the $55,000 price tag.

• Informative x 2
  17. Tamar

Tamar Member

The equalizer used to go from -12 to 12, now only goes from -8 to 8. We had our bass set to 12 and now we can really tell the difference. It sounds like a car stereo now. we had premium audio.....

18. Tech_Guy

I had all my EQ at 0 and it was great now its garbage.... It has to do with how they are processing the audio vs how the equalizer is set..

19. kev1n

kev1n Active Member

i've listened to both systems side by side and can confirm that my P85D on .12 sounds worse than my P85 on .6 and both are equipped with the premium audio package

• Informative x 1
  20. DMack

DMack Member

Maybe it's helps with distortion?
    I have my bass set to 6/7 and it sounds amazing, but then again, i have a brand new 75D with the new MCU and nothing to compare it to (i'm a new Tesla owner)