Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Immersive Sound on New MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes sense that MCU1 Audio was ruined if MCU2 has a different DAC and a different sound processor, but they applied the same software to both MCUs. This must be a really noob fail from the media software team. Wonder how they let this pass.

Hi all, I just watched the video of DAErik and then I looked up what "Immersive Sound" is and I found it HERE. I was really positively surprised, as I am waiting for my end September coming very first Tesla (Model S). You can truly say that it's the successor of Dolby. Unfortunately for people who have the Dolby version in their Tesla, this is not upgradable with software, as it is a new type of amplifier. I'm not a technician, so please forgive me if I'm wrong and you may correct me on this.

Ive seen no reports that a new amplifier is installed, Immersive Sound is related to the new MCU (the center screen)

My March 2018-build Model X with the new MCU has "Immersive Sound". To my ear, it doesn't sound as good as the Dolby Premium Sound system in my 2013 Model S did, but that could easily be a function of the different cabin dimensions and speaker placement.

My March 2018-build Model X with the new MCU has "Immersive Sound". To my ear, it doesn't sound as good as the Dolby Premium Sound system in my 2013 Model S did, but that could easily be a function of the different cabin dimensions and speaker placement.

I learned that indeed there is a difference in sound between the Model X and S, so the only good comparison would be between two model X-cars or two S-models, so one with and the other without the system. Maybe you can try that, that is, of course, if you care to compare them. I was enthusiastic when I saw the video of Erik Strait, so I hope that it indeed will be a difference for the better. Still... if there is no new hardware at all (amplifier/speakers), the difference will not be that enormous...

Don't have it on the old MCU. I think it is limited to the new MCU and the new speaker setup. Oh well.. I am glad I got the premium package with UHF audio. My experience in the loaner 2016 90D with base audio was very underwhelming. Was just like my 2006 civic. Coming back to my car, the experience was immediately much better.

I have the old MCU in my March 2018 100D. I received version 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5 about a week ago. This morning I noticed there was something different about the sound but could not exactly identify. When I went into the equalizer settings I noticed a new button called "Options" in there I found Immersive sound settings of Off, Normal and High. Oddly, I can't tell any difference between the three settings. My guess is the controls are there but the settings don't seem to be doing anything.

I have the old MCU in my March 2018 100D. I received version 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5 about a week ago. This morning I noticed there was something different about the sound but could not exactly identify. When I went into the equalizer settings I noticed a new button called "Options" in there I found Immersive sound settings of Off, Normal and High. Oddly, I can't tell any difference between the three settings. My guess is the controls are there but the settings don't seem to be doing anything.

Well I have the mother of old MCU's a 2012 M/S Signature VIN number 162. And for a time I had the immersive sound option on my screen but it didn't do anything much like you said and it wound up getting replaced with the Dolby surround option (which doesn't really change much either) again in another update.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hank42 and markn455
Well I have the mother of old MCU's a 2012 M/S Signature VIN number 162. And for a time I had the immersive sound option on my screen but it didn't do anything much like you said and it wound up getting replaced with the Dolby surround option (which doesn't really change much either) again in another update.
What version do you have now that has the Dolby Surround option?

Also, I was able to mess with it some on the way home from work today. The Equalizer now goes to 12 again...It was limited to 8 on the last several builds. The settings do seem to make a little difference but it's slightly delayed before "kicking" in. The Jury is still out but I think it sound pretty nice. Different than the dolby but not half bad.

What version do you have now that has the Dolby Surround option?

Also, I was able to mess with it some on the way home from work today. The Equalizer now goes to 12 again...It was limited to 8 on the last several builds. The settings do seem to make a little difference but it's slightly delayed before "kicking" in. The Jury is still out but I think it sound pretty nice. Different than the dolby but not half bad.

I'm on 2018.48.12.1 d6999f5

Are you sure you have the old MCU in a March 2018?
Have you tested it?
If not, enter this address in the browser.
JSFiddle
If so, you must have missed MCU2 lby days. :(
I have a March 2018 MS 100D with MCU2.
My build started March 12, ended March 14

Are you sure you have the old MCU in a March 2018?
Have you tested it?
If not, enter this address in the browser.
JSFiddle
If so, you must have missed MCU2 lby days. :(
I have a March 2018 MS 100D with MCU2.
My build started March 12, ended March 14

Yes, I tested and its the MCU1...You are correct. My car missed it by days. I am wondering if their records are off and that is the reason they put the control on the screen. I have messed with it more and the best I can tell...it does nothing.

Sound on my March 2018 Build Model S 100D seems significantly better than it was on my 2017 March Build Model S 90D. It’s actually amazing!
Is it possible that this is a carryover from the Model 3 which shares a similar if not the same MCU?
Is the Immersive New sound option a firmware thing? Does anyone see this with the old MCU on 2018.12?
View attachment 293642
I have a 2014 s and I just saw that I got the immersive sound thing!! Instead of Dolby digital