Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Immersive Sound on New MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
Sound on my March 2018 Build Model S 100D seems significantly better than it was on my 2017 March Build Model S 90D. It’s actually amazing!
Is it possible that this is a carryover from the Model 3 which shares a similar if not the same MCU?
Is the Immersive New sound option a firmware thing? Does anyone see this with the old MCU on 2018.12?
ECD65992-8A6E-418D-A165-81CA94DF865D.jpeg

Sound on my March 2018 Build Model S 100D seems significantly better than it was on my 2017 March Build Model S 90D. It’s actually amazing!
Is it possible that this is a carryover from the Model 3 which shares a similar if not the same MCU?
Is the Immersive New sound option a firmware thing? Does anyone see this with the old MCU on 2018.12?
View attachment 293642

Is this only a feature for those with the PUP?
I have the upgraded sound system and noticed that feature when i got my car a few weeks ago.

What i did noticed was missing on min that was present in the older 85D loaner was an option for Dolby Surround.

Is this only a feature for those with the PUP?
I have the upgraded sound system and noticed that feature when i got my car a few weeks ago.

What i did noticed was missing on min that was present in the older 85D loaner was an option for Dolby Surround.
The consensus is that this is a hardware /MCU2 thing at least for now. Based on the link in post #4 above yours,
I’d say Dolby Is a subset of Immersive Sound which is the latest and greatest.

View attachment 293642

My late February build wth the old MCU does not have the Immersive Sound option. Also, I am currently in a loaner with 2018.12? and the old MCU. This car does not have the Immersive sound option.

Definitely not an option with the old MCU on 18.12 all I get is dolby, Id also like to point out that 18.12 made my premium sound sound go to crap, its sounds very flat and digital now even when streaming from a high quality flac or wav file. Ive sent an email to Tesla support about it and hopefully that can restore the way it was before this update...

Reactions: caltrader
Possibly apples to oranges, but compared to my 2013 Model S with Premium Sound (Dolby), I think my new X with new MCU and "Immersive Sound" sounds worse.
I’m comparing my March build 2017 Model S to my March build March build 2018 Model S. Very apples to apples.
So it could be an S versus X thing for you or just a matter of personal taste.

I’m comparing my March build 2017 Model S to my March build March build 2018 Model S. Very apples to apples.
Worth mentioning the X has more speakers then the S does as well.

Also my car is a June 2016 Model S build and I never use Dolby as I don't like how it sounds I had all my EQ sliders at 0 before this update now nothing helps the EQ sliders can't change the way Tesla is processing the tracks / audio / sound!!

Yeah, that's what I meant: maybe just an S to an X thing. In any event, to my ear, my 2103 S sounded better than my 2018 X. Not that it's horrible or anything like that...

Friends don’t let friends use Dolby :).

The best sound I’ve heard in an S comes from a Reus Audio upgrade. Had both the base package in the first S and the premium package in the second S Reus-ified.

I look forward to three next steps:

1. Sitting in a friend’s Model 3 to hear that Immersive Sound.

then

2. Upgrading my MCU to hear this new in-car Immersive Sound with the Reus enhancements.

and

3. Making an A/B USB stick with both FLAC and .mp3 (192kbps, 320kbps) versions of a dozen or so popular tracks so that people can hear and appreciate the difference for themselves.

Tangentially, if you want to hear music absolutely the way it was produced, and I don’t recommend doing this in the car, pick up some electrostatic earphones. They deliver Orpheus II-quality sound without the $55,000 price tag.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus and Galve2000
Definitely not an option with the old MCU on 18.12 all I get is dolby, Id also like to point out that 18.12 made my premium sound sound go to crap, its sounds very flat and digital now even when streaming from a high quality flac or wav file. Ive sent an email to Tesla support about it and hopefully that can restore the way it was before this update...

The equalizer used to go from -12 to 12, now only goes from -8 to 8. We had our bass set to 12 and now we can really tell the difference. It sounds like a car stereo now. we had premium audio.....

The equalizer used to go from -12 to 12, now only goes from -8 to 8. We had our bass set to 12 and now we can really tell the difference. It sounds like a car stereo now. we had premium audio.....
I had all my EQ at 0 and it was great now its garbage.... It has to do with how they are processing the audio vs how the equalizer is set..

Maybe it's helps with distortion?
I have my bass set to 6/7 and it sounds amazing, but then again, i have a brand new 75D with the new MCU and nothing to compare it to (i'm a new Tesla owner)