Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of 2nd gen Roadster on 1st gen prices?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MitchJi

Trying to learn kindness, patience & forgiveness
Jun 1, 2015
Marin County, CA
I'm interested in opinions on Impact of 2nd gen Roadster on 1st gen prices. I was looking at adds here:
and asking prices are up to 150k without the 3.0 upgrade. IMO that's insane! If you add 30k for the upgrade you are only saving 20k vs a new Roadster.

I wouldn't pay over 100k MAXIMUM for a 1st gen Roadster unless it already had the 3.0 upgrade. That's a total price of 130k which is pushing the limit IMO.

I don't think your comparison with (the pricing of) a second generation roadster is relevant. For sure, a second generation roadster has better specs in all aspects, but that's not the point. If it was, a Ferrari 250 GTO should be cheaper than a Ferrari Roma, which also beats a 250 GTO in all aspects.

It's all about demand and supply. Demand gets higher as the market starts to realize the uniqueness of a first generation roadster: the first electric car that had sportcar specs, the first with a long range battery and the first Tesla model ever, to name a few unique characteristics. On the other hand, supply is fairly constraint, as less than 2500 have been build and fewer survive as of today.

I wouldn't be surprised if prices will eventually become higher than those of a second generation roadster. Prices are already nearing (and sometimes surpassing!) the original MSRP prices.

Reactions: Sig72 and eHorses
Unfortunately what you would or wouldn’t pay does not reflect on market prices, the cost escalated in the past 18 months. Tesla are not knocking out 7000 a week. Comparing the 2023 roadster to the Original is like comparing a model S to a model 3. They are very different cars built for very different purposes. You can never make a original roadster come close to the performance of the next one, but if that’s all someone wanted then it makes sense to buy the latest tech.
As seen on one of the notorious EV reluctant sites (BaT) the prices for a good vehicle is 120,000-180,000. If you find a car with a good R80 for under 100,000 you should grab it.

Reactions: eHorses
When I purchased my Roadster, I was basically in the market for a Lotus, but refused to buy another gasoline engine. The new Tesla Roadster is not a Lotus, so in my opinion it's just a name. There is no relation between the cars.

Of course, many original owners just wanted any electric car. They wanted to support Tesla Motors. They may not have wanted a sports car, and most traded for a Model S as soon as they could. For these customers, a new Roadster might be the same as the old Roadster.

In other words, it depends upon your perspective. However, no matter what your perspective is, I seriously doubt that the new Roadster will have any specific effect on the old Roadster resale values - other than perhaps renewed publicity (which means the new Roadster will make the prices of the old Roadster go up).

Reactions: Curt and Sonics2020
I agree with the above responses...the new roadster won't have significant impact on the original roadster pricing...
First, as mentioned, the limited and slowly reducing population of the original version, starting from a small (relatively) number. A few of the "new" roadster may hold value (first 5 founders, etc) over time, but with a supply in production, they will depreciate. The original, on the other hand, will not have a growing supply, thus, as collectors get/keep the ones they have, the open market for anyone wanting one will continue to get tighter.

But, I'm not really concerned about the price as I'm never selling mine...

Thanks for the replies! I learned something about myself and the market. I'm a practical person and factors that mean nothing to me are clearly very important to a substantial portion of the market for older classic cars.
A "practical person" won't buy an original roadster...at least not for "practicality" of the car/price. :)

But, as you mention, most of the original roadster owners are probably not "practical" folks... I CAN be practical most of the time, but not when it came to the opportunity to buy my baby.

Reactions: eHorses
I agree with most here that the new Roadster (whenever that will actually go into production), will draw renewed interest and publicity to the original Roadster. I'd say that it would last for 6 mos to a year. I think prices for the 1st gen will spike and then taper off. But, the prices will steadily appreciate. Many here (as well as elsewhere) have noted that the original Roadster will be and is historically significant. Not only is it the car that put Tesla on the map, but it is the car that proved that electric cars are viable. And now, the entire industry is going in that direction... a car collection would not be complete w/o an original Roadster.

Just my $0.02

I agree with most here that the new Roadster (whenever that will actually go into production), will draw renewed interest and publicity to the original Roadster. I'd say that it would last for 6 mos to a year. I think prices for the 1st gen will spike and then taper off. But, the prices will steadily appreciate. Many here (as well as elsewhere) have noted that the original Roadster will be and is historically significant.
I think most Roadsters (unfortunatelly) in the future will end up at museums or private collectors. In that setting it may not be worth for the ”caretakers” to have them in drivable state. So they probably will have dead batteries.

I also think the value will keep rising because of that regardless of the Roadsters are ”dead & alive”.

The 1:st gen Roadster will always have a significant place in (electric)carhistory. Like many other 1:st gen of different carmodels. Even thou many later on came in both better/faster/cheaper 2:nd, 3:rd generation and so.

You can compare it a bit like almost everyone remember/can name who the 1:st man on the moon was. Not as many can point out who was the 2:nd man with the same accuracy. And very few can name the 3:rd man on the moon…

(Admit that you now think of Googling it ;-)

Reactions: eHorses and X.l.r.8
As someone who has spent too much time and too many resources worrying over vintage cars, I think there are (at least) two components to a used car's value. The first relates to objective performance/reliability characteristics. How big is it? How fast? How efficient? The second relates to what you might call mystique. What does it represent historically? How sexy is it? How does it make me feel when I drive it? How cool is it? Does it dilate my pupils?

My 1979 Porsche 911SC is slower than most new Honda Civics these days and it's not very reliable compared to those Civics. But it remains relatively valuable because of how it performs on point 2. In fact, it'll continue to get worse in relative terms on Point 1, but I think it will never go down in price because it will increase monotonically in terms of Point 2. A new Civic will never be more valuable that it is today unless it happens to be a rare performance model or a museum piece.

On point 1, the original roadster performs pretty well. No gasoline, pretty good range, very good (but no longer world-beating) acceleration, reasonable reliability. It is starting to show it's age relative to newer Teslas and Taycans, and my brother-in-law's new Corvette will beat it in a drag race.

But I think the original roadster won't go down in value because of Point 2. There were very few ever made. It was desirable, sexy, fast, and essentially unobtainable for most people when it was sold new. It has always been an aspirational car. Replacement of a battery is no worse than an engine rebuild in a Ferrari or Porsche. Only George Clooney, Elon Musk, and a few of you on this list were able to buy them new. When you drive one, it feels exotic. The view out the front of the driver's cocoon feels very much like that of a Ferrari or even a GT40 or Porsche 962. The bubble windshield and the flying front fenders just feel different and racy. Hit the throttle and it feels amazing. The Lotus engineering that Tesla tries to downplay can't be hidden: It has magnificent steering feel, it handles very well, and it's softly sprung for a car in this category. Those are all exotic Lotus attributes that some Silicon Valley engineers could not have done themselves. It's made of carbon fiber and the door hinges are milled aluminum. It's as low as a Ferrari or Lambo. People stare at the car. Drive up to a cars and coffee and park next to a Lamborghini, and you get just as many people ooo-ing and ahhh-ing over the Roadster as you do over the Lambo. My 14-year-old son and his friends are more excited by the Roadster than they are by Porsches.

Furthermore, and perhaps most important, this car represents something significant historically. The Porsche 959 and Carrera GT, the McLaren F1, and the Ferrari F40 have shot up in value because they represent something historic and unique: The first AWD supercar, the last analog stickshift supercar, the no-compromises pure expression of the designer's passion, the last car made while Enzo was alive, etc. The Tesla Roadster was the first real electric car, it feels nearly as exotic as a supercar, the company has gone on to significant success, it was launched to Mars! It belongs in a museum. I am happy I got mine when I did. I think it's a good investment in addition to being an engaging automobile.

(it's been a productive Zoom meeting I guess)

1 Some people here above say: price will go up
2 Some people here above say: price will go down (or be stable)

What do you think when you read all the reasons to underscribe 1 (prices will go up) but not one reason to underscribe 2 (prices will go down)?

Looks like the “classic“ will be the only option for awhile.
1630621227433.jpeg

I just paid slightly over $100k (total) for mine in June. That's about 25% higher than I would have paid in early 2019, so the prices are trending up pretty fast. The trend is your friend.

The original total price of my Roadster was somewhere around $150k (2.5 Sport with upgrades), so if you account for inflation, in today's money that's roughly $188k. That means I got mine for close to 50% depreciated. I believe this signals that prices are still relatively low for these cars even at $100k-$150k, because they are still technically selling at depreciated exotic car prices.

When HNWIs begin to grab these sweet sleds for their collections (or "rolling portfolios"), I believe the prices will at least jump above the original MSRP prices. I wouldn't be surprised to see used prices of these models hovering just under $200k in 2023 before the new Roadster starts to ship, even though the new one is going to be $200-$250k.