Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of 4680 cells?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prices will continue fluctuate, but the site, engineering, and tooling cost a lot of $. Tesla has great margins and I can see them trying to preserve it so they can react to the competition.

Good question. Texas plant will be able to more than double Model Y production capacity. So anyone not naive knows a price drop is coming. The Fremont Model Y's may become the new standard range, while the next gen Model Y's from Texas maybe the new long range with 400+ miles of range.

Prices will continue fluctuate, but the site, engineering, and tooling cost a lot of $. Tesla has great margins and I can see them trying to preserve it so they can react to the competition.
Elon has stated that he wants Model Y to be the best selling vehicle. My wife ordered a Model Y recently. Price with taxes and fees, 7 seater, was $62.5K in California. No way it is going to become a best seller at that price.

Tesla is building capacity (economy of scale), but the two main factories (Austin and Berlin) aren't up yet. Also, I don't think they have demand issues and customers are likely buying everything Tesla is producing.

Elon has stated that he wants Model Y to be the best selling vehicle. My wife ordered a Model Y recently. Price with taxes and fees, 7 seater, was $62.5K in California. No way it is going to become a best seller at that price.

Elon has stated that he wants Model Y to be the best selling vehicle. My wife ordered a Model Y recently. Price with taxes and fees, 7 seater, was $62.5K in California. No way it is going to become a best seller at that price
my 5 seater OTD was about 55k, this and the 3 are easily best sellers since it smokes anything under like 90k

Money aside--again, buying a new car is almost never wise--I'm concerned about getting delivery of a MYP in the next two months, only to learn that in the next X months the MYP will be significantly faster with significantly better range. And that these improvements cannot be realized on existing MYPs. Granted, one could trade in or sell their 6 month old MYP, but the thought of that is crazy even if money doesn't matter.
I'm almost at the point where I'm considering that. Maybe not trading in after 6 months, but maybe 18 months or 2 years while they really get the batteries and pack and structure and vision ironed out and production perfected. Teslas hold their values so well, and in another year or so there may be a significant tax credit to boot. So rather than waiting five or six months then being on the front edge and still maybe no credit, I think buying now and waiting 18 months or two years gets a great car now, won't lose TOO much in depreciation, especially if a tax credit arrives, then get a gen 2 closer to perfect with FSD to keep for a long, long time.

Reactions: Wolfhausen
Hard to know what Tesla will do short and long term with the new batteries. And hard to know if they're worth waiting for. I don't know if I want to put off buying one for a year though - especially if chip shortages continue and Tesla prices keep going up. I'm sure part of me will wish I'd waited - especially if there are significant reductions in charge time or increases in range/speed. But, it's also possible they wait or charge a premium to unlock that potential anyway.

I'm holding out for a 4680 MY. I'm ready to buy now but I've made the decision to wait a bit seeing how Austin is so close to production. It only seems like a prudent financial decision to me. :cool:
I was in the same boat, but decided differently. I ordered the MYLR in June, EDD Sept 2021. My rational is, we don't know when the 4680's, front mega-casting, or structural pack will be implemented. It could be weeks, months, or years. It depends if there are any hiccups and unforeseen problems with the new tech. I don't have a Tesla currently and want to get away from the rising cost of fuel prices NOW. If I wait for the "next best" from Tesla, I'll never pull the trigger. They are always innovating and usually don't announce changes until a customer discovers them. When the version 2.0 hits the mainstream, if I feel the improvements justify it, I'll sell my Y and order the new version. Tesla has a history of missing timelines and Musk's statements on the subject are often cryptic.

I placed my order on June 22nd, and the reason was that I watched a YouTube that said "If you're waiting for the 4680, or the one piece or whatever, then don't because by the time that becomes available, there'll be something else to wait for". Plus. let's be honest, you're really only on the hook for $100. I'm glad I ordered when I did, because it means I'm $1,500 better off

Too bad I didn't watch that vid in February - lol

Reactions: Wolfhausen
Is it worth holding out for the 4680 version? That's the big question on many minds 😜
I have some issues with this....
1) You can't really predict the future. If you need the car now, buy it. Tesla's are actually pretty mature vehicles.
2) The car with 4680 batteries may be cheaper for Tesla to build, but they won't sell it cheaper. Price is often determined by the 2nd most efficient producer. None of the other EVs are close to Tesla.
3) The 4680 battery is an incremental improvement, not game changing. And Tesla battery technology has not changed that much in 4 years ....

I have some issues with this....
1) You can't really predict the future. If you need the car now, buy it. Tesla's are actually pretty mature vehicles.
2) The car with 4680 batteries may be cheaper for Tesla to build, but they won't sell it cheaper. Price is often determined by the 2nd most efficient producer. None of the other EVs are close to Tesla.
3) The 4680 battery is an incremental improvement, not game changing. And Tesla battery technology has not changed that much in 4 years ....
I actually think the battery plus battery pack is close to game changing once they get to scale and have production smoothed out. Ultimately a Y will have capacity for 500 miles which means even on road trips you'll probably only have to charge twice, and you're going to stop twice anyhow. And charging times will be faster to the point that IMO virtual parity with ICE will be achieved. And of course the cars will get cheaper and cheaper.

However, Elon isn't going to roll all that out at once. I bet he dribbles out extended range and drop prices bit by bit to stay one generation ahead of the competition. So next year when they all hit 300 miles, he'll release 400. When they get to 400 he'll release 500. And at the same time he'll be dropping prices; but probably not for at least a year until production catches up with demand. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see an 'end state' in about four years where the Model 2 is $25K, the Model 3$ is 35K, and the Y is $40K.

So I don't think you can wait 6 months and get all that stuff. For me, I'm going to buy now, drive it two or three years, then trade in for a perfected second gen that will have all that range, faster charging times, air suspension, whatever, that maybe by then will also have true FSD.

Last edited:
My guess is that Texas will produce MY and CT. Fremont will have M3, MX and MS. Nevada will produce the Semi.
Elon has stated the CT will be first from GigaTexas. Probably because the CT doesn't require a paint shop to make it.
There's been a MY BIW (body in white) delivered to TX to begin calibrating the (very) few robots already in place, but don't expect MY production until EoY.

• Disagree
Reactions: KJD