Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of daytime temperature, passenger load and distance on car's range.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had our new Tesla Model 3 for 2 months and have kept it on the charger when not in use as advised by Tesla on purchase. We were not, however, told that we were supposed to limit the charge to below 90%. I have only found this out by reading. Can anyone advise if we have degraded our new battery by having it on the charger at full charge for days without use. Often we go a week without using the car. Do I set the charge limit on the touch screen?

Also can anyone advise if I would be stretching my luck to drive the Tesla Model 3 a distance of 325ks (202 miles) on a hot day (100 degrees ) with 3 passengers at highway speeds? In Australia our EV charging stations are few and far between, as we are slow into the EV uptake. The 202 mile leg is unavoidable.

i appreciate the info shared on this site.

Owned a M3 2018 since 3rd quarter of that year. That business about the charge level is definitely in the manual. Except.. if it's not.

First, if you have a long-range M3, then you've got a Lithium-Ion battery. For general use, it's recommended to charge it to a maximum of 90%. If you're going on a trip, then 100% is a good idea, with the general thought that one would be leaving Right Away and not hang around with that 100%. But, note: We've had posters who actually take Long Trips Each Day, and they tend to go to 100% just before they leave, all the time, without battery degradation. It's hanging about with a full charge that causes the damage. But, that damage is slow to occur. A couple of months are unlikely to do the trick.

If you've got a Li-Ion battery, there's tons of people wandering around here who'll tell you that a Good State of Charge is anything from 50% to 90%; I keep mine around 80%, actually, for full charge. Tesla says they don't care, but stay off of 90%+ unless one is tripping immanently. Asking What Level is like throwing chum to the sharks around here.

Next: If you have a recent Standard Range M3, it's Very Extremely Likely that you've got an LFP (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) battery. In that case, if memory serves, 100% is not an issue; in fact, Tesla actually recommends hitting that battery with a 100% charge on a pretty regular basis. The LFP battery has been reported (especially when new, when Tesla was tweaking things) to have reduced cold-weather performance; but I haven't heard complaints about that, much, for about six months to a year around here.

So, what's your battery type? Should be in the manual. Is the car an SR, an LR, an SR+, or a P? What's the advertised range? (That last should be on the Manroney Sticker that was on the inside of the window when you bought the car.)

Last edited:
Reactions: mswlogo
We have had our new Tesla Model 3 for 2 months and have kept it on the charger when not in use as advised by Tesla on purchase. We were not, however, told that we were supposed to limit the charge to below 90%. I have only found this out by reading. Can anyone advise if we have degraded our new battery by having it on the charger at full charge for days without use. Often we go a week without using the car. Do I set the charge limit on the touch screen?

Also can anyone advise if I would be stretching my luck to drive the Tesla Model 3 a distance of 325ks (202 miles) on a hot day (100 degrees ) with 3 passengers at highway speeds? In Australia our EV charging stations are few and far between, as we are slow into the EV uptake. The 202 mile leg is unavoidable.

i appreciate the info shared on this site.
You didn't tell us which 3 you have , since there are 2 kinds of batteries which have different charging strategies.
Anyhow, just punch your trip data into ABRP: ABRP and it'll give you a real estimate, using real world data on whether you can or can't make your proposed trip.

Reactions: XPsionic
Owned a M3 2018 since 3rd quarter of that year. That business about the charge level is definitely in the manual. Except.. if it's not.

First, if you have a long-range M3, then you've got a Lithium-Ion battery. For general use, it's recommended to charge it to a maximum of 90%. If you're going on a trip, then 100% is a good idea, with the general thought that one would be leaving Right Away and not hang around with that 100%. But, note: We've had posters who actually take Long Trips Each Day, and they tend to go to 100% just before they leave, all the time, without battery degradation. It's hanging about with a full charge that causes the damage. But, that damage is slow to occur. A couple of months are unlikely to do the trick.

If you've got a Li-Ion battery, there's tons of people wandering around here who'll tell you that a Good State of Charge is anything from 50% to 90%; I keep mine around 80%, actually, for full charge. Tesla says they don't care, but stay off of 90%+ unless one is tripping immanently. Asking What Level is like throwing chum to the sharks around here.

Next: If you have a recent Standard Range M3, it's Very Extremely that you've got an LFP (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) battery. In that case, if memory serves, 100% is not an issue; in fact, Tesla actually recommends hitting that battery with a 100% charge on a pretty regular basis. The LFP battery has been reported (especially when new, when Tesla was tweaking things) to have reduced cold-weather performance; but I haven't heard complaints about that, much, for about six months to a year around here.

So, what's your battery type? Should be in the manual. Is the car an SR, an LR, an SR+, or a P? What's the advertised range? (That last should be on the Manroney Sticker that was on the inside of the window when you bought the car.)
Thank you for taking the time to give me such comprehensive feedback. I appreciate it.

Range will depend on how fast you drive on the highway (higher speeds -> worse economy and range).

Use of air conditioning in hot weather will cost some energy, as will use of cabin heat in cold weather. Installing a sun shade under the glass roof may help reduce the amount of air conditioning needed in hot sunny weather.

Driving slower on that stretch can help but not much. On a hot summer day I opted for a route that used 55 mph vs 75 mph. It was about a 60 mile drive but I managed to save 1-2%. If the trip says you'll make it with a lot to spare than you probably don't need to really worry but if you're only making it with a few percent just drive slower and try to avoid climate controls.

I once heard that the amount of range you save by driving slower and being efficient on a road trip is pretty much no time gained at a supercharger as you gain several % in such a short time.

Charging is all covered in the manual

Charging Best Practices​

• If you are able, maintain a regular charging routine using a low-voltage charger such as a Wall Connector at your home.
  • Avoid allowing the battery to get too low.
  • Only use DC Fast Charging (such as Supercharging) when necessary, such as during long road trips.
  • Charge the battery to the appropriate charge limit for Model 3 based on the installed battery (see Electric Vehicle Components). To adjust the charge limit, navigate to the charging screen and select Set Limit or use the mobile app to drag the charging slider.
  • For RWD vehicles: Tesla recommends you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and you regularly charge your vehicle to 100%. If Model 3 has been parked for longer than a week, drive your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.
  • For AWD vehicles: keep the full charge limit of the battery to under 90% for Daily use. If you need 100% of your battery for a long-distance trip, increase the limit for Trip as needed.

As a reference point, my YLR uses the same energy to power the A/C as driving 30 miles per hour. Someone pointed out that because speed / wind resistance is an exponential relationship, you can't just add 30 mph to your actual speed to estimate the effect. However if you plan to drive for 3 hours at 60 mph for a total of 180 miles, if you're going to run the A/C, then add the 90 miles used in those 3 hours for a trip that would be the equivalent of 270 miles. Hills don't matter much as long as the average is near 0. If your destination elevation is higher that will add to your effective miles and lower will give you bonus free miles.

A late 2022 will have a heat pump AC - will not use much in the way of power compared to the regular AC system they used to have.

Warm weather [even beastly hot 100+ temps] will NOT affect range as much as cold temps. Warmer temps will make the batt more efficient - plus - it carries a cooling system that doesn't use much power.

Does three passengers mean 3 or 4 people in the car since one of them has to be a driver technically . . . . weight will affect range - again - not as mich as you think. The vehicle should EASILY go 200 miles with 3 people at 75mph in those temps.

As for battery degradation =- what's your displayed range at 100% charge? Thats a good first estimate of degradation - but I'm thinking you won't have any problem with 200 miles of range on a warm day at speed with 3 people .. .

Next: If you have a recent Standard Range M3, it's Very Extremely Likely that you've got an LFP (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) battery. In that case, if memory serves, 100% is not an issue; in fact, Tesla actually recommends hitting that battery with a 100% charge on a pretty regular basis. The LFP battery has been reported (especially when new, when Tesla was tweaking things) to have reduced cold-weather performance; but I haven't heard complaints about that, much, for about six months to a year around here.

Thank you for that comprehensive response. I checked as suggested and do have an LFP battery.

A late 2022 will have a heat pump AC - will not use much in the way of power compared to the regular AC system they used to have.

Warm weather [even beastly hot 100+ temps] will NOT affect range as much as cold temps. Warmer temps will make the batt more efficient - plus - it carries a cooling system that doesn't use much power.

Does three passengers mean 3 or 4 people in the car since one of them has to be a driver technically . . . . weight will affect range - again - not as mich as you think. The vehicle should EASILY go 200 miles with 3 people at 75mph in those temps.

As for battery degradation =- what's your displayed range at 100% charge? Thats a good first estimate of degradation - but I'm thinking you won't have any problem with 200 miles of range on a warm day at speed with 3 people .. .
Thank you for that informative and reassuring response. There will only be 3 people in the car, including driver.

Charging is all covered in the manual

Charging Best Practices​

• If you are able, maintain a regular charging routine using a low-voltage charger such as a Wall Connector at your home.
  • Avoid allowing the battery to get too low.
  • Only use DC Fast Charging (such as Supercharging) when necessary, such as during long road trips.
  • Charge the battery to the appropriate charge limit for Model 3 based on the installed battery (see Electric Vehicle Components). To adjust the charge limit, navigate to the charging screen and select Set Limit or use the mobile app to drag the charging slider.
  • For RWD vehicles: Tesla recommends you keep your charge limit to 100%, even for daily use, and you regularly charge your vehicle to 100%. If Model 3 has been parked for longer than a week, drive your vehicle as you normally would and charge to 100% at your earliest convenience.
  • For AWD vehicles: keep the full charge limit of the battery to under 90% for Daily use. If you need 100% of your battery for a long-distance trip, increase the limit for Trip as needed.
Thank you heartily for bringing this Manual entry to my attention. I am on a fast learning curve.