Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impact of warranty on price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Debating between used p85d/p90d vs new PY. Most used car at good price are 15 and have 3 years battery warranty left. I keep cars for 5+ years. What do you think impact of end of battery warranty would be on Model s.. I am afraid price might fall from 45k today to 10k in 3 years as no one would want to buy one outside Tesla warranty..?

The market price will definitely go down outside of battery warranty, but as of now they seem to have a price floor around $20k, even wrecked/non-running. Tesla has such a lock on parts and service, and there are so relatively few cars on the road, they maintain a lot of value as parts cars.

• Informative
Reactions: PhilDavid and m335
in general speaking, the battery will never just suddenly die. it will degrade over time and lose miles but i doubt it will need to be replaced

as for the drive unit, i havnt really seen these actually stop working either. if anything the most common issue is the weird wind noise but it operates as normal still

in general speaking, the battery will never just suddenly die. it will degrade over time and lose miles but i doubt it will need to be replaced

as for the drive unit, i havnt really seen these actually stop working either. if anything the most common issue is the weird wind noise but it operates as normal still
Thanks! But I have seen many threads here in forum and YouTube about battery replacement. I think every owner should have some plan to handle it out of warranty..these are not invincible. U would like to understand if there is a path and cost it will have to keep car running.

in general speaking, the battery will never just suddenly die.
Not so sure about that. I wouldn’t say it’s common but it happens plenty enough to be frequently documented here.

Of course the entire battery doesn’t just “die” but a module failure or similar results in Tesla swapping the whole pack and refurbishing the old one on their own timeline.

As more cars come off battery warranty, I think it will be interesting to see if third parties step up with battery pack refurb/repair services to fill the niche.

Early drive units were problematic but I think near 100% of them have been replaced by now and current revisions seem to be quite reliable.

Reactions: m335
Thanks! But I have seen many threads here in forum and YouTube about battery replacement. I think every owner should have some plan to handle it out of warranty..these are not invincible. U would like to understand if there is a path and cost it will have to keep car running.
Not so sure about that. I wouldn’t say it’s common but it happens plenty enough to be frequently documented here.

Of course the entire battery doesn’t just “die” but a module failure or similar results in Tesla swapping the whole pack and refurbishing the old one on their own timeline.

As more cars come off battery warranty, I think it will be interesting to see if third parties step up with battery pack refurb/repair services to fill the niche.

Early drive units were problematic but I think near 100% of them have been replaced by now and current revisions seem to be quite reliable.

sorry i should be more specific. there is rarely any problem with the actual battery. yes electronics connected to it due fail and probably will fail way before the battery does. these components are not expensive though. with that said. a 85/90 pack currently is under $10k. in another 5 years or so, i wont be surprised to see them at $5k or so. id rather save that $5000 than to buy tesla's $5000 warranty that you may never end up using

sorry i should be more specific. there is rarely any problem with the actual battery. yes electronics connected to it due fail and probably will fail way before the battery does. these components are not expensive though. with that said. a 85/90 pack currently is under $10k. in another 5 years or so, i wont be surprised to see them at $5k or so. id rather save that $5000 than to buy tesla's $5000 warranty that you may never end up using
Awesome! This is great info..i wasnt aware these packs are sold by tesla for 10k. That is reasonable price which I feel comfortable to pay in worst case.

Awesome! This is great info..i wasnt aware these packs are sold by tesla for 10k. That is reasonable price which I feel comfortable to pay in worst case.
They’re not sold by Tesla for that price. Third party.

I think the most recent concrete info we have is someone getting a 60kwh battery replaced by Tesla out of warranty for ~$11k if I recall.

That was for a refurbished pack and taking the broken one back as a core.

Don’t think we have any good data on a first party Tesla replacement for a 85/90 pack, but I’d expect it’s a good deal more than the $11k for the 60.

• Informative
While it may still be too early to tell just how many complete battery replacements will be necessary as more and more Teslas start to reach 8+ years old (and beyond warranty), it will likely have a notable impact on value as battery replacements can be expensive. I've seen numbers suggesting around $225 to $250 per kWh so a 90 kWh battery would cost around $20,250 to $22,500 at this point. Engines on ICE vehicle sometimes need to be replaced too but the cost there is typically significantly less especially with more competition in the non-factory/aftermarket world.

While it may still be too early to tell just how many complete battery replacements will be necessary as more and more Teslas start to reach 8+ years old (and beyond warranty), it will likely have a notable impact on value as battery replacements can be expensive. I've seen numbers suggesting around $225 to $250 per kWh so a 90 kWh battery would cost around $20,250 to $22,500 at this point. Engines on ICE vehicle sometimes need to be replaced too but the cost there is typically significantly less especially with more competition in the non-factory/aftermarket world.
Thanks! I notice something today morning. Yesterday there were 6 p85ds. Today only one left, these are going like candies..lol☺

Thanks! I notice something today morning. Yesterday there were 6 p85ds. Today only one left, these are going like candies..lol☺
Are you looking in a particular region only? I am currently seeing five P85Ds from Tesla ranging in price from $42,300 to $51,300.

2016 Model S | Tesla - 32k miles for $51,300
2015 Model S | Tesla - 48k miles for $46,200
2015 Model S | Tesla - 39k miles for $45,600
2015 Model S | Tesla - 74k miles for $42,300
2014 Model S | Tesla - 41k miles for $44,200

• Informative
Are you looking in a particular region only? I am currently seeing five P85Ds from Tesla ranging in price from $42,300 to $51,300.

2016 Model S | Tesla - 32k miles for $51,300
2015 Model S | Tesla - 48k miles for $46,200
2015 Model S | Tesla - 39k miles for $45,600
2015 Model S | Tesla - 74k miles for $42,300
2014 Model S | Tesla - 41k miles for $44,200
Yeah there was some service issue this morning..out of these 5 links 4 were shown not available but they came back by afternoon. So not selling as fast as I thought.