Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Important VIN thresholds?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a CPO S on order (VIN P37xxx-ish, first registered around May 2014) that I'm awaiting delivery for (hasn't shipped yet). After borrowing a friend's car with the rear-facing seats and using them with kids, I kind of wish my CPO had them. I then found a CPO that is very comparable in terms of mileage, year, options, price and has the rear facing seats and I'm now thinking about switching before they ship the other one out. The other CPO is VIN P28xxx, so we're talking about a difference of roughly 8-9,000 in production VINs. I know that TSLA is constantly iterating and improving in terms of overall build quality over time, so my question is would there be a noticeable difference in build quality from these VINs? I know AP was ~Sep 2014, but beyond that what are the other important VIN thresholds to be aware of?

I currently have a CPO S on order (VIN P37xxx-ish, first registered around May 2014) that I'm awaiting delivery for (hasn't shipped yet). After borrowing a friend's car with the rear-facing seats and using them with kids, I kind of wish my CPO had them. I then found a CPO that is very comparable in terms of mileage, year, options, price and has the rear facing seats and I'm now thinking about switching before they ship the other one out. The other CPO is VIN P28xxx, so we're talking about a difference of roughly 8-9,000 in production VINs. I know that TSLA is constantly iterating and improving in terms of overall build quality over time, so my question is would there be a noticeable difference in build quality from these VINs? I know AP was ~Sep 2014, but beyond that what are the other important VIN thresholds to be aware of?
It won't make much of a difference.

My first was an 11k VIN. Very few issues (ignoring the motors - had mine replaced twice). When I got it, the people in the PDX Tesla group with < 10k VIN numbers were impressed with the improvements.
Some things in my 74k VIN second Model S were much improved. Others (especially the fit of body panels) in my new Model S are atrocious. So in general I think I'd agree with what many others seem to be saying... once you are at around Q2/13 (>10k VIN) you should be fine - and then there's a second bump when you hit around 60k with the added AP hardware.

My first was an 11k VIN. Very few issues (ignoring the motors - had mine replaced twice). When I got it, the people in the PDX Tesla group with < 10k VIN numbers were impressed with the improvements.
Some things in my 74k VIN second Model S were much improved. Others (especially the fit of body panels) in my new Model S are atrocious. So in general I think I'd agree with what many others seem to be saying... once you are at around Q2/13 (>10k VIN) you should be fine - and then there's a second bump when you hit around 60k with the added AP hardware.

This is perfect info. Thanks!

My old Model S was one of the first with Auto Pilot hardware. It was around number 52,000. Build quality was excellent.

Mr current MS is number 93,200. Differences are minor but additions include include DAB radio, alcantara dash insert and head lining, yacht floor on the centre console, different rear light surround, same seats, wheels. Maybe a single piece fuse box in the frunk.

Probably not much difference between 28K ans 37K, they are likely less than 6 months apart. 28K should have folding mirrors (showed up at the end of 25K, I got one of the first ones). Build quality of my late 25K was just as good if not slightly better than my 84K (the new one had few more minor issues which Tesla fixed promptly). Dual motors, Auto-Pilot, NextGen seats, heated steering wheel and air ionizer were the big differences I noticed got between 25K and 84K. Hope this helps.