Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing a Roadster into the USA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been on the hunt for a roadster for a while now, and have done a lot of research on how to do it. Have found companies that are able to get it here, but the roadblock is actually Tesla themselves. I would need to have a Letter of Compliance from Tesla to provide to the EPA and NTHSA stating that the vehicle is compliant with all USA laws. Has anyone else ever done this? Does anyone know of a contact at Tesla that could help? As most of us know, getting ahold of a human being over there is pretty difficult. I've talked with Pete Gruber about it, and he said he doesn't know of anyone that's successfully done it but given that it's an American made car, it seems like it should be possible if I could clear that hurdle. If anyone has ever gotten a letter, or has a contact at Tesla that might be able to help me get that letter I would really appreciate it!

I've been on the hunt for a roadster for a while now, and have done a lot of research on how to do it. Have found companies that are able to get it here, but the roadblock is actually Tesla themselves. I would need to have a Letter of Compliance from Tesla to provide to the EPA and NTHSA stating that the vehicle is compliant with all USA laws. Has anyone else ever done this? Does anyone know of a contact at Tesla that could help? As most of us know, getting ahold of a human being over there is pretty difficult. I've talked with Pete Gruber about it, and he said he doesn't know of anyone that's successfully done it but given that it's an American made car, it seems like it should be possible if I could clear that hurdle. If anyone has ever gotten a letter, or has a contact at Tesla that might be able to help me get that letter I would really appreciate it!
I should have mentioned this is an EU Roadster I'm trying to import. Perhaps there are actual differences that would make them non-compliant with the NTHSA (certainly should be compliant from an EPA standpoint of course), but I haven't found any information on that one way or another to confirm.

The letter from tesla is easy to get, and I have gotten/have one. However, if it is a euro spec car, it’s not made in the US for starters. Check the vin, if the first letter is ‘S’ it’s made in the UK, and it will not be able to get imported into the US as far as I know. If the first character in the vin is ‘5’ you can bring it into the US.

The letter from tesla is easy to get, and I have gotten/have one. However, if it is a euro spec car, it’s not made in the US for starters. Check the vin, if the first letter is ‘S’ it’s made in the UK, and it will not be able to get imported into the US as far as I know. If the first character in the vin is ‘5’ you can bring it into the US.
Thanks for the reply. It is a Euro spec car, so I guess it is the dead end that I expected. Seems silly though, I believe those laws are in place for good reasons but I would imagine that a euro spec roadster would likely meet all of the US EPA and NTHSA standards.

Before I give up entirely, do you have a contact at Tesla that you got your letter from? I have called quite a few numbers and haven't been able to get to a real person. A firm no from Tesla would probably save me a lot of time, but would like to hear it from them before I give up. I'll send you a private message, thanks again.

I’ll respond here in case someone reads this in the future.
The letter was something I asked a service adviser to get, which they got in a day or so.
The letter is a ‘notirization letter’ confirming the vehicle was manufactured in the US. If that VIN doesn’t stsrt wirhba 5, you won’t be aboe to get the letter. The importer won’t import a vehicle unless it can be brought into country.
I imagine the only reason why such laws exist, is to protect the dealership networks by not allowing foreign cars to be purchased feom dealers outside of the country.

Letter:

Dear Sir or Madam,
We are pleased to confirm that all vehicles listed below have been assembled in the United States.
• 5YJRE11Bxxxxxx
This declaration is provided to assist you in facilitating the registration with competent authorities. Tesla provides this declaration letter to aide you in updating your registration with relevant authorities but does not assume any risk or responsibility for fines arising from non-compliance, fees, or compensation for time spent complying with these requirements. Please turn to your local authority for assistance.
Kind Regards
Suraj Nagaraj
Director – Vehicle Homologation

But we see some RHD British cars on the roads here occasionally. What is different for them?
RHD tesla roadsters?

If not, then it’s likely cars that are 25 years or older, after that time limit in the states, I think they can come in, i’m not sure on the US market rules exactly.
I am in Canada and our rules are after 15 years of age, anything can come in and be registered with no modifications.
Someone from the US that had imported can chime in. I know the euro spec Ferrari can be converted to suit the US market, just not sure how involved and constly that is. Likely you wouldn’t want to do this on a RHD, lots of extra cost when there are plenty of euro LHD roadsters available.

Last edited:
No, definitely not. You guys are right, they were probably all older than 25 years. I think I recall an XKE, some MGs, etc.
Yeah if its 25+ years old, it’s exempt from the requirements. Just had hoped that as an American company and an EV, common sense would prevail and a roadster could be imported but alas, we are talking government agencies :) I’d be happy to let them tax it if that’s what they wanted but I guess they don’t want to set a precedent.

There are companies that specialize in obtaining import paperwork. They do the legwork for you, so you don't have to. I used one when selling my car to @Retiredeh in Canada. I suspect, given the challenge you're discussing, that I would not be cheap and that not all of them would take you on, but it's worth trying.