Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing a Tesla into Colombia (South America): any missing features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

I live in Colombia and we are thinking about importing a Tesla over here. To the other people that have imported their Tesla, what features are missing? Is it too bad to have the car without those features?

Thank you!

I assume you are referring to a Model 3?

In any case, I am not clear on what you mean by “what features are missing?”.

I can tell you that since Tesla does not offer factory service in your country you are taking a big risk. If something goes wrong — no car is perfect — you may have an extremely difficult time fixing it. A car like a Tesla is essentially a computer on wheels. Multiple computers control all aspects of the car’s operation.

Being from Colombia and knowing the status of the roads I can imagine autopilot is pretty much useless if you don't have street markings. I can't imagine how the car behaves with all the motorcycles coming out of nowhere around it.But @ecarfan has the most valid point on the lack of service. The model 3 is a pain to get service here in the USA, I had to get two small issues addressed and both have taken about a month to get the parts to be taken care of, in a country without a service center, that should be your main concern.

If you're going to import a Tesla, I suggest you go with a European build. That way you at least have an industry standard charging port, and can support 3-phase charging, since it's doubtful you're going to find superchargers or fast chargers anywhere for a long time.