TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

importing a US roadster into Canada

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by mnx, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

Does anyone know if it is possible to import a US roadster into Canada?

Tesla is not listed on the Registrar of Imported vehicles list. I decided to check Lotus (LOTUS) and the elise is not on the list (and therefore not allowed to be imported).

thanks.

- mnx

2. stenkb

stenkb Roadster 938 Model S 5957

Hi mnx,

I was told this isn't a very viable way to get a roadster into Canada. I was told we need a Canadian VIN number to get it registered here and they have to build the car at the factory with a CDN VIN from the start.

I have a deposit down on a roadster right now with the Toronto dealer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

3. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

That's unfortunate. It is substantially cheaper to buy a used US roadster than a new one in Canada.

- mnx

4. pgwoosley

pgwoosley Member

It might be worth double checking that you are getting the straight scoop. I know from time to time that Americans go across into Canada to buy cars more cheaply when the exchange rate is attractive. I remember Corvettes being mentioned.

If you can get a hold of the VIN for a Tesla made for Canada, it should be easy to compare the letter and number pattern with that of cars built for the States. You can often get their VINs off of EBay.