Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing an MS to a country without Tesla presence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 18 months of ownership and a new drive unit, numerous charge port repair attempts, a number of water in indicator and light housing repairs and many other warranty repairs I would have to say you would be insane to import this car without a local service shop. Outstanding vehicle but you'll regret it, I suggest you wait.

very useful thank you for the support you are offering .

can you give me an idea on what exactly is your software is logging live from the car ? screenshot?

i live in saudi arabia so something like that might help me prevent shipping the car back to Germany for repair

Ames can you include me , i want to chip in as well when he comes to the UAEi . do the model s owners in the UAE have a whatsapp group?
i like to join please
if so here is my number +966 5 666 66673

i am the first and only tesla models s in saudi and hopfully i am not the last

I tried adding you to our WhatsApp group but it seems you don't use WhatsApp so I can't add you.

Try contacting me via WhatsApp on +97150 4439401.

Alex

Last edited:
Hey Jeff - I spoke to BMW recently and there are moves afoot to reduce/drop import duty on EVs so we can live in hope. Most probably still have to pay VAT but that could be reclaimed in the UK and that is 20% vs 14% (SA)

I have thought exactly the same about the prestigious Simola Hill Climb (sponsored by Jaguar!). If you had the balls to 'give it a go' in a P90D Lude I reckon you'd be right up there as there are only two real corners.

Has anyone else competed at a hillclimb in a Tesla? Straight drag racing may be impressive but pretty meaningless in comparison. Simola is only about 30 secs so a Tesla should be able to cope without going into low power mode...............

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff4155
Is Mennekes an EVSE standard in South Africa?

It would be unfortunate if you get a car with a Mennekes port (e.g. UK/Australia RHD model) and Tesla chooses to use the Tesla proprietary port (e.g. Japan RHD model) in SA.

That means you won't be able to Supercharge the vehicle once the supercharger infrastructure is up.

If all of the other EVSE's there are already Mennekes, Tesla would probably go Mennekes as well. If the current system is J1772 + Chademo however, Tesla might stick with proprietary.

Just checked with BMW and apparently South Africa has agreed to use European Type 2 port. As a non-EV bloke at the moment I do not know my Type 2 from my Chademo.

What impact will this have on what Tesla do/use etc? Presumably the SC have a Tesla-specific port.

After 18 months of ownership and a new drive unit, numerous charge port repair attempts, a number of water in indicator and light housing repairs and many other warranty repairs I would have to say you would be insane to import this car without a local service shop. Outstanding vehicle but you'll regret it, I suggest you wait.
While not every Tesla owner has problems with their car, I agree with this sentiment. I think it is a extremely risky to bring a Tesla into a country where Tesla does not offer local service.

Just checked with BMW and apparently South Africa has agreed to use European Type 2 port. As a non-EV bloke at the moment I do not know my Type 2 from my Chademo.

What impact will this have on what Tesla do/use etc? Presumably the SC have a Tesla-specific port.
The Type 2 port, sometimes referred to as Mennekes, is standard fitment on UK/European Model S and supports three phase charging. If true that is good news for you as it means that a UK spec Model S would most likely be compatible to any charging infrastructure put in for the BMW models.

We can only hope that SA does bring some incentives in the form of dropping/ reducing import duties for electric vehicles.
Straying from topic but I heard that the Simola Hill climb (sponsored by Jaguar) won by Nissan :p
will have the new F-pace SUV there, mmmmh, thought I would skip this year, but then again always great to see all different types of cars from exF1 vehicles to 2000hp GT-R's trying there luck, some not so lucky.

If the Model 3 stays as a trunked (non-liftback) when it gets to production it may not serve our needs which is why I was considering importing an MS. Alternatively we wait until the Y is released but our wait may now be getting intolerably long!

My main concern with an MS would be the DU failure/replacement which may not be practical in South Africa (even if Tesla are here for the M3). So unless the DU issue is put to bed so that failure/need to replace is a rarity, then an MS is not an option.

This means either a very l-o-n-g wait to go EV (or, at least, Tesla EV...) OR we have to settle for something else in the meantime (forever? I don't really want to have to change cars again within a few years - we tend to keep cars for ages which is why another ICE-age car is not desirable)

It will, in the end, depend on who seems the most committed here - GM with the Bolt; BMW with a new i-series car or a Leaf 2. Only BMW and Nissan seem to be making the effort here now.............Hmm feels like a Leaf 2 all things considered unless it is terrible!

My main concern with an MS would be the DU failure/replacement which may not be practical in South Africa (even if Tesla are here for the M3). So unless the DU issue is put to bed so that failure/need to replace is a rarity, then an MS is not an option.

I doubt South Africa will be Model 3 only. When Tesla starts up over there there is no reason not to offer/service the Model S and X as well.

South Africa had a pretty healthy 7-series and S-class market last time I looked.

Edmond - my understanding is that the Model Y will be a SUV based on the M3 - so slightly bigger (and more expensive?) So similar relationship MX to MS............

I also got the feeling that Elon is/was(!?) considering FWDs on the Y if they got sorted out on the MX. If the MY has FWDs then I would skip it as we don't need that complexity and return to the MS option or, failing that, another manufacturer (which would be sad after 3 years 'stalking' Tesla.............)

Just wondering out aloud here - nearly 1000 people have read this post and 3 or 4 have advised against the idea.....

Do I draw any conclusions from this? Do the 900 and something think it is an OK idea? Or have had minimal problems with their cars?

Or don't have Teslas and are considering the idea like me......?

But very few trolls apparently!