Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing from Europe to Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of all vehicles, Teslas should be the most easily adaptable to comply with the regulatory standards of each country and therefore the most easy to import. The fact that Tesla Canada does not allow Teslas to be imported from countries outside of North America, such as in Europe, even though all the parts were made in the US, is protectionist, nonsensical, unjust and anti-competition.

@Antitrust you don't have to like the policy, but I think it's understandable. Compared to the traditional auto makers, Tesla is still a small player, and are still struggling to keep up with service needs. Why would they want to add additional burden to their service centres to modify vehicles from other parts of the world? It's not like there are unique Tesla models only available in Europe that you would need to import to own--S, 3, X, Y all available in this market for purchase.

I guess it sucks if you own(ed) a Tesla in Europe and had to move here, you would have to sell and re-purchase rather than import. I have no idea what it would cost to ship and modify a Tesla, but suspect it would probably amount to at least as much as any losses from selling your existing vehicle in Europe and re-purchasing here, no?

Reactions: Vawlkus and cdswm3
Yeah, I wouldn't want to import a Tesla from Europe. I don't know how much it would be to have Tesla take out the entire EU charging assembly and put a new NA in. I don't think it's a cheap endeavor.

Also, many functions in the software, specifically FSD soft-lock is regional and tie to the car I believe. With the limitation EU put on FSD, last thing you want is to get an EU Tesla here and have all the functions blocked because it was an EDM car.

Transport Canada via the RIV ( Registrar of Imported Vehicles ) takesits marching orders from the manufacturer.
Also a European Tesla has:
- different on board charger ( 3 phase vs. single phase )
- different chargeport connector.
- different map software
- different SIM card

Reactions: McFlurri
Transport Canada via the RIV ( Registrar of Imported Vehicles ) takesits marching orders from the manufacturer.
Also a European Tesla has:
- different on board charger ( 3 phase vs. single phase )
- different chargeport connector.
- different map software
- different SIM card
I agree that the RIV is an important part of the process but only for vehicles originally sold at retail in the US or Mexico. The RIV process does not apply to vehicles from Europe. I would imagine that the vast majority of cars imported into Canada were ones that were originally sold in the US.

The main RIV webpage includes this statement: "Important note: This web site relates solely to information regarding U.S. specifications vehicles sold at retail in the United States or Mexico being permanently imported into Canada. Visit the Transport Canada web site for information regarding the importation of vehicles purchased in countries other than the U.S. or Mexico and the Environment Canada web site for information regarding the Canadian emission legislation and regulations."

The information below is from the RIV website specific to Tesla vehicles being imported from US or Mexico. It would seem that most, if not all, Teslas from those countries can be imported into Canada. (None are noted as being "Inadmissable". Whether Tesla is prepared to do the modifications for certain models is another question.

TESLA, INC.​

ADMISSIBLEINADMISSIBLENOTES
United States and Mexico

2017 TO 2021 Model 3

2012 TO 2021 Model S - see [EIS] note

2009 TO 2011 Roadster - see Note-2 for admissible Roadster models

Please read all notes

For Model X & Model Y sport utility vehicle models, see Section 5.4

See EXPLANATIONS section.

[EIS] The manufacturer confirmed Model S vehicles of 2019 and prior model year will require service to the electronic immobilization system. Read paragraph #9 of the "EXPLANATIONS" section for information on EIS.

Note-1: Please contact the manufacturer prior to importation to determine the exact nature and cost of modifications required.

Note-2: Admissible Roadster models include those built from May 4, 2009 to August 31, 2011 inclusively with last four digit VIN range starting #0501 (build week 5/4/2009) extending through #1420 (build week 8/29/2011).