Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing from Japan to the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys! So glad I found this forum as I've been struggling to get the info online.

Basically I've imported a 2018 Model S into the UK recently from Japan. The issue is that the car was under 6 months old when it was "deregistered" from Japan so there are 2 sections blank on the Japanese export certificate (specification no & classification no)

I either need to find out what these were or ask Tesla to send me the following Directive info for my specific car:

Noise

Emissions

Brakes

Protective steering

Seat belt anchorages

Side impact

Electrical safety.

Is anyone able to point me in the right direction? Either this or if I can get a letter from MLIT in japan to explain why this info wasn't on the certificate this is suitable too but can't find any contact details for them.

All help is appreciated!!

Hi, I could ask my service guy about this but;

In Japan Model S and X after AWD is NOT type approved, as the sales was low and it was easier for Tesla. As an additional bonus non type approved car's insurance is very cheap!

So there is no documentation from MILT - they just physically measure every Tesla and issue a registration paper.

I think you could explain that Japanese cars are very similar to UK car, and it's not type approved there.

Hi you seem to be very right from what I've come across with my contacts in Japan, MILT have said it's because there are under 5000 sold there so I'm in a bit of a pickle. I just need Tesla HQ to provide me with the figures that they SHOULD be but cant even get in touch with anyone there lol can't believe how poor the customer services are!!

Does anyone have any idea on how I can even charge the car when its here? Would a normal tesla charging station work or would I need to use some sort of converter or something?!?! Lol

Hi you seem to be very right from what I've come across with my contacts in Japan, MILT have said it's because there are under 5000 sold there so I'm in a bit of a pickle. I just need Tesla HQ to provide me with the figures that they SHOULD be but cant even get in touch with anyone there lol can't believe how poor the customer services are!!

Does anyone have any idea on how I can even charge the car when its here? Would a normal tesla charging station work or would I need to use some sort of converter or something?!?! Lol
The car from Japan has a North American Tesla inlet. It should have come with a J1772 (Type-1) adapter. With that adapter you should be able to charge it anywhere a Nissan Leaf (through ~2017 MY) can charge.
- From a socketed Type-2 station, use a Type-2 to Type-1 cable. They are common.
- You could also use a Type-1 granny cable with a UK 3-pin plug on it.

The North American inlet also means that you can't Supercharge it in Europe. Surely you didn't overlook that fact, right? CHAdeMO will be the fastest charging available to you. Maybe the car came with the proper CHAdeMO adapter too.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I’m a new Model S driver in Osaka. I was also thinking of bringing my model S back to Europe (Ireland) after my assignment, so I need to look into this more.
Interesting article on the development of the charger inlets:
Why is Tesla charging different? | The Driven

That article is full of so many accuracies, it is hard to keep count.

Tesla not only has two different charging plugs for different markets, but they also differ to the ones chosen by the other EV manufacturers.

No. Many more than two. I can count at least 5 (roadster, original US Model S, Type II EU, new Model 3 CCS, China standard plug).

in 2008 when the Tesla Roadster was first released, Tesla needed a robust plug for general AC charging, as well as allowing for DC charging capacity.

No. The Tesla Roadster connector has no DC charging capability.

Tesla went it alone to develop the first Tesla EV charging plug, as shown below. (picture of Tesla North America Model S plug)

No. The first Tesla EV charging plug was the one for the roadster.

I think the article is more misinformation than information.

@Alonso Garcia, it is perfectly possible to change map data and make other software changes to your Tesla; however, the hardware is different between the UK and Japanese Tesla.
Charging Connector: UK=CCS2, Japan=US-style Supercharger Connector
AC Charging: UK=3 phase, Japan=single phase

Thus, mobile connectors, wall connectors are also NOT compatible. If you don't use Superchargers, it is possible to bring them to the UK, but I don't recommend otherwise.