Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing M3 from US to Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I know there might be many threads on this but I still have not heard a success story of importing Tesla M3 from US to Canada (other than this: Exporting a Tesla Model 3 from San Francisco, California to Toronto, Ontario | Reid Main).

If someone could please shed some light on this topic in 2021, I would greatly appreciate it. I am planning to move back to Canada next year and wondering if I can take my M3 along with me. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

I know there might be many threads on this but I still have not heard a success story of importing Tesla M3 from US to Canada (other than this: Exporting a Tesla Model 3 from San Francisco, California to Toronto, Ontario | Reid Main).

If someone could please shed some light on this topic in 2021, I would greatly appreciate it. I am planning to move back to Canada next year and wondering if I can take my M3 along with me. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Yes, it shouldn't be a problem. We just did my wife's civic a few months ago. I'll copy the instructions from my car broker, you should use a car broker. I don't recommend Border Buddy, I used them for my car and they weren't good. The people for wife's car were way better. Chris @

smhewitt.ca​

" Hello Hamza

There are two steps for this when clearing the car.. First you have to process the vehicle export / AES filing with US CUstoms.

part 1:

You have to export the vehicle with US customs. They verify there is no Liens on the car and it is not stolen..
For this you will have to fill out the attached form and send back along with a copy of the title , bill of sale if you have t and her passport
we need to submit this at least 72 hours in advacne..

Part 2:

Since she is immigrating into Canada she will have to clear the car herself on the Canadian side .. She will have to provide Canada customs
with all the immigrating documents. They have to process it when when she arrives a broker cannot process this clearance ahead of time..

For more info you can Contact Canada Customs. The best time to call is first thing in the morning . They open at 8am.
If you call later in the day your wait times can be long. "

You might have to do a variation of this since your not immigrating.

• Informative
Reactions: Abraham
Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

This forum has been invaluable in helping me import my car to Canada. I am stuck at the last step with RIV inspection at Canadian Tire and they failed the car because it has the ability to turn off daytime running lights (DRLs). I have contacted tesla service and they have raised a ticket but are unsure on how to proceed. Has anyone done this before?

Any help would be appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

This forum has been invaluable in helping me import my car to Canada. I am stuck at the last step with RIV inspection at Canadian Tire and they failed the car because it has the ability to turn off daytime running lights (DRLs). I have contacted tesla service and they have raised a ticket but are unsure on how to proceed. Has anyone done this before?

Were you able to resolve this issue? Could you elaborate on how the DRLs were able to be turned off?

Upvote 0
Hey everyone,

Did you get this resolved? I am having this exact issue as well.

Upvote 0
Update: you have to go to Tesla in Canada. They updated it over the air and everything is in compliance with the DRL now.
Good to know. Did you walk into a service center? Did it cost anything?

Also do we have to pay duty/import tax? I’m seeing that we don’t for personal vehicles but still unsure. And is there provincial sales tax at registration?

Upvote 0