TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Importing U.S. Model S

Discussion in 'Japan' started by goflagators, Sep 13, 2017.

1. goflagators

goflagators Member

こんにちは!

I am a current Model S owner and am looking to move to Japan, specifically Tokyo, in the future. I am wondering if anyone else has had the experience of moving their S. Any major issues? The best I've seen online is this post: Military member Shipping Tesla Model S to Okinawa, Japan | Tesla but mostly everyone is talking him out of it. I wouldn't be driving it regularly and my move is only for a few years. Would the car require any modifications for importation? What are insurance rates like?

ありがとうございました

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

Sounds like it would be a pain in the butt. I've visited Japan 5x for vacation myself and it will be my 6th time in about 1.5 months.

A quick Google searched turned up Customs Answer(FAQ) (search for vehicle). I also found Japan: Car Import, Registration, Insurance.

The other big problem is the obviously the steering wheel is on the wrong side, so, you'll probably find it sub-optimal to drive it there, esp. if you want to overtake. (Not that I haven't seen cars in Japan w/the steering wheel on the wrong side, but it's very rare there.)

hiroshiy (see Japan) is in Japan w/a proper version for this market. I haven't follow this posts carefully but there have been considerations about the Model S being so big is that it doesn't fit "mechanical parking" (as they call it, aka car elevator) in many places.

You sure you can actually get parking in Tokyo? It's not exactly plentiful there. Most privately owned automobiles tend to be on the smaller side vs. what we see in the US.

3. 12Pack

12Pack Member

Outside of the regulations and size concerns, driving on the opposite side of the road has other inconveniences,e.g., parking lot entrance terminals, toll payments etc.

4. KarenRei

KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei KarenRei

How long "in the future" is "in the future"? It's probably not what you want to hear, but you might want to have the plan in mind "sell your current car, re-buy once in Japan". And maybe consider switching to a well-upgraded Model 3 if it'll be far enough in the future, since it's a smaller car.