Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing U.S. Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
こんにちは!

I am a current Model S owner and am looking to move to Japan, specifically Tokyo, in the future. I am wondering if anyone else has had the experience of moving their S. Any major issues? The best I've seen online is this post: Military member Shipping Tesla Model S to Okinawa, Japan | Tesla but mostly everyone is talking him out of it. I wouldn't be driving it regularly and my move is only for a few years. Would the car require any modifications for importation? What are insurance rates like?

ありがとうございました

Sounds like it would be a pain in the butt. I've visited Japan 5x for vacation myself and it will be my 6th time in about 1.5 months.

A quick Google searched turned up Customs Answer(FAQ) (search for vehicle). I also found Japan: Car Import, Registration, Insurance.

The other big problem is the obviously the steering wheel is on the wrong side, so, you'll probably find it sub-optimal to drive it there, esp. if you want to overtake. (Not that I haven't seen cars in Japan w/the steering wheel on the wrong side, but it's very rare there.)

hiroshiy (see Japan) is in Japan w/a proper version for this market. I haven't follow this posts carefully but there have been considerations about the Model S being so big is that it doesn't fit "mechanical parking" (as they call it, aka car elevator) in many places.

You sure you can actually get parking in Tokyo? It's not exactly plentiful there. Most privately owned automobiles tend to be on the smaller side vs. what we see in the US.

How long "in the future" is "in the future"? It's probably not what you want to hear, but you might want to have the plan in mind "sell your current car, re-buy once in Japan". And maybe consider switching to a well-upgraded Model 3 if it'll be far enough in the future, since it's a smaller car.

Hi there,

We're doing exactly this (importing our 2016 Model S 90D) in a couple months.
The first thing you want to do is find a Japanese import agent. We're going with these guys since they give you a detailed breakdown of the estimated costs: COMPANY PROFILE / Marshal Cars -auto trading service-

The import agent handles everything from exporting the car from the US, shipping it, importing it into Japan, taking it through customs and inspections, even registering and getting a license plate for the car, then finally delivering it to your final destination (wherever you are staying/living in Tokyo). Including all this, the estimate came out to about 12k USD (1,300,000JPY)

They just need the VIN in order to create the estimated cost report for you. One thing I'll say is that we asked for an estimate for our Model S and X initially. But because of some (weird) regulations in Japan, our Model X can't be imported (There's a limit on how many Model X's of a certain year that can be in Japan..ours was manufactured in Oct 2016 so it's not allowed, but it would have been ok if it was manufactured before June 2016. Go figure..)

A couple of things to note:
- I asked Tesla USA, but once you export your Tesla out of the US, it becomes a grey market car, meaning they no longer support apps or updates. I assumed we'd be able to get updates via wifi, but the service rep said no. I'm hoping they are wrong ..
- He did mention that Tesla Japan would service your car, given that you pay for all parts (even those that should be covered under warranty).
- Unless you can figure out a way to replace the SIM card (located in a steel cage behind the center console screen) there is definitely no way the GPS or the Tesla app would work. We use waze and other nav apps on our smartphones anyway, so this won't be too big of a deal. It'll be a bummer not being able to remotely control the climate or the lock, but it'll still be the same car to drive.
- Even though you won't get support or connectivity while you're in Japan, once you bring the car back into the US everything will be back to normal.
- Regarding parts that need to be replaced. The standard procedure for American cars entering Japan is to have the tail lights replaced (they use orange instead of red LEDs for turn signals). This is included in the estimated cost for this particular import agent. But there are also side-lights (turn signals on either the side of the car) that need to be installed. The official Tesla sidelights are roughly 1k USD apiece.

The other option you may want to consider, depending on how long you'll be in Tokyo, is to utilize Carnet:
JAF |Show Your Card and SaveR Program in Japan

Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: JayInJapan
Ooh, one other thing. If you get a mifi (portable wifi) and have it constantly connected to that wifi, I'm guessing the remote controls (unlock, climate, summon, etc) would work.

Also, the only thing Tesla USA clearly said was that the connectivity and updates "are not supported." When tech companies say something is "not supported" what they really mean is "it will probably work but if something goes wrong we won't fix it" :)

Jay is correct. I once tried to support an American guy relocating to Japan with his Tesla, but Tesla didn't like it. An old-timer at the service center, and a gentleman who actually imported one and driving one here, said his was now an exception and he is a close friend of Elon.
I would recommend you call the service center in Japan for at least parts availability.

I think we're losing sight of the original question here. Goflagators question was, "does anyone have experience importing their Tesla" and not "should I import my US Tesla." Also, he is only moving to Tokyo for a few years. So are we. Why sell the US Tesla and pay almost double the price for a Japanese Tesla, just for a few years use? We are fully aware that we won't get support from Tesla Japan. The superchargers may not work either, in which case we'll just use ChaDeMo. Charging at home doesn't make sense here in the US where the car needs to be charged at least twice a week if not more, but driving distances in Tokyo are much shorter, so charging at home is an option.

I think we're losing sight of the original question here. Goflagators question was, "does anyone have experience importing their Tesla" and not "should I import my US Tesla." Also, he is only moving to Tokyo for a few years. So are we. Why sell the US Tesla and pay almost double the price for a Japanese Tesla, just for a few years use? We are fully aware that we won't get support from Tesla Japan. The superchargers may not work either, in which case we'll just use ChaDeMo. Charging at home doesn't make sense here in the US where the car needs to be charged at least twice a week if not more, but driving distances in Tokyo are much shorter, so charging at home is an option.
No one is losing sight of anything. Bring a non-supported car here, and you’ll lose many of the features; sounds terrible to me. Teslas do not cost twice the price here; in fact, I paid about 10% more than U.S. prices. If it’s for a few years, then, like I wrote above, a CPO can be a great value. But, whatever, bring your shell of a great car here and have fun.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I am trying to help you and I didn't want you to make expensive mistakes. At least please call the service center in Japan (they'll find someone who speaks English) and ask about what you get and what you won't get. If supercharging is disabled CHAdeMO will be also.

Reactions: JayInJapan
Sell the car. Buy something else when you get there.
I lived in Japan for 12 years and imported 5 cars into Japan for personal use.
Shipping will be reasonable... $1-2k depending on where you ship from. You will need to do the weekly temp tag run to the local courthouse. It will need side marker lights and a change in the rear signal lights to Amber.
You will need to make an appointment for the Dyno test. The car will need to be taken to the northern part of Tokyo to get a 2 day $1500 rolling dyno “emissions” test. You will need specific details on the car... drivetrain information, specific manufacturer, type of suspension... etc. Tesla should be able to help you and also sell you the conversion parts. It will also need to travel to Gunma for a noise test for one day. $1000.
Once it passes everything. You take it to the prefecture DOT for another inspection. Pay the registration, weight tax and recycle tax. Another day there. Most likely everything will take 1-3 months to finally get a tag.
Insurance is about the same as the US.
Charging might be an issue. Household outlets are 100v/ 50hz in Tokyo with 200v outlets configurable by an electrician. I have no idea what the public charging and Tesla superchargers run for voltage.
Driving and parking is not that big a deal. I’ve seen left hand drive exotics and even hummers driving around.

• Helpful
Sorry for the late update. We relocated to Japan back in July 2018 and imported our Tesla Model S 2016. The import took about 2 months -- shipping actually only takes 2 weeks but clearing registration in Japan took some back and forth with the importer.

The import was estimated to be roughly 12k (USD) but came out lower because they waived consumer tax since it was part of a household move. Only caveat is that the car has to stay in Japan for at least 1 year and cannot exchange hands until two years have past.

So far:
1) Charging: No issues - at either the Tesla superchargers in Tokyo, Gunma, and any of the rapid chargers at the highway service areas
2) Maps: maps works but navigation doesn't (also at the bottom of the maps it says the last known location in US even though the map shows local Japanese roads)
3) Remote features: since the sim card inside the car doesn't work we put a portable wifi in the car to get around this. Connecting to the car for status updates is no issue.
4) Updates: So far we've only installed one update since we got there. Not sure if it was downloaded before the car was put on the ship, or if it was received after.
5) Left-side drivers wheel: Driving/parking in Tokyo with a ADM car is no problem. Most large parking lots have machines on both sides of the entrance/exit.
6) Parking: You can't park in most automated parking lots but that's true with JDM Teslas too. Self-park lots are no issue.

Sorry for the late update. We relocated to Japan back in July 2018 and imported our Tesla Model S 2016. The import took about 2 months -- shipping actually only takes 2 weeks but clearing registration in Japan took some back and forth with the importer.

The import was estimated to be roughly 12k (USD) but came out lower because they waived consumer tax since it was part of a household move. Only caveat is that the car has to stay in Japan for at least 1 year and cannot exchange hands until two years have past.

So far:
1) Charging: No issues - at either the Tesla superchargers in Tokyo, Gunma, and any of the rapid chargers at the highway service areas
2) Maps: maps works but navigation doesn't (also at the bottom of the maps it says the last known location in US even though the map shows local Japanese roads)
3) Remote features: since the sim card inside the car doesn't work we put a portable wifi in the car to get around this. Connecting to the car for status updates is no issue.
4) Updates: So far we've only installed one update since we got there. Not sure if it was downloaded before the car was put on the ship, or if it was received after.
5) Left-side drivers wheel: Driving/parking in Tokyo with a ADM car is no problem. Most large parking lots have machines on both sides of the entrance/exit.
6) Parking: You can't park in most automated parking lots but that's true with JDM Teslas too. Self-park lots are no issue.
Wow, thanks for the update! Interesting that the navigations do not work... what firmware version do you have? Japan sees much less number of updates due to government regulations.

Wow, thanks for the update! Interesting that the navigations do not work... what firmware version do you have? Japan sees much less number of updates due to government regulations.
Sorry for the late update. We relocated to Japan back in July 2018 and imported our Tesla Model S 2016. The import took about 2 months -- shipping actually only takes 2 weeks but clearing registration in Japan took some back and forth with the importer.....

This is all good info. I'm probably moving to Japan for a 3-year stint in about 6 months and am looking into the feasibility of bringing my year-old Model 3. Work would pay for the shipping there and back, but I'd be responsible for paying to get it approved for Japanese roads. My two questions:

1) I've seen a lot of back-and-forth about charging off the local electrical grid using the UMC...did anyone ever figure out a good off-the-shelf solution for charging off the two-prong NEMA 1-15 in Japan? I'll be renting, and while I'll likely have a garage, I don't know if I can get a HPWC installed.

2) There was some discussion of how Teslas become "grey market" cars when they leave the U.S. and are no longer supported for updates. Does this apply when they come back to the U.S. too? I've purchased all the FSD and autopilot updates and would hope to resume using my car as usual when I get home.

My other choice is to store it for 3 years and buy a beater in Japan, but that seems like such a waste for a brand-new car to sit. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

This is all good info. I'm probably moving to Japan for a 3-year stint in about 6 months and am looking into the feasibility of bringing my year-old Model 3. Work would pay for the shipping there and back, but I'd be responsible for paying to get it approved for Japanese roads. My two questions:

1) I've seen a lot of back-and-forth about charging off the local electrical grid using the UMC...did anyone ever figure out a good off-the-shelf solution for charging off the two-prong NEMA 1-15 in Japan? I'll be renting, and while I'll likely have a garage, I don't know if I can get a HPWC installed.

2) There was some discussion of how Teslas become "grey market" cars when they leave the U.S. and are no longer supported for updates. Does this apply when they come back to the U.S. too? I've purchased all the FSD and autopilot updates and would hope to resume using my car as usual when I get home.

My other choice is to store it for 3 years and buy a beater in Japan, but that seems like such a waste for a brand-new car to sit. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Sorry for late reply. Re (1) UMC won't work with 2 prong 100V outlet. Requires 3 prong with proper ground connection. If the company pays for your apartment, ask for charging - it is far easier for you to charge at home, than to ask the owner to install chargers after you moved. Also there are public chargers and superchargers, standard charging is very slow and quick chargers are generally crowded and you might need to wait.

Tesla owners group in Japan is trying to find a way to create an adapter for 2 prong outlets - Japanese outlets cold pin on 2 prong receptacle is usually well grounded and not floating so while it is not recommended to everybody, the adapter is safe to use.

The other option is to purchase Prius PHV charging adapter - I have tried the previous version and it worked at 2.4kW with 2 prong. Haven't tested recent version of the adapter.

For (2) I don't have an answer - as I recommended before, I would ask the service center in Japan (Yokohama is the one) in advance. Tesla could do anything - or change anything so beware.

No worries, this is good info. I'm still in back-and-forth with Tesla about the answer to #2...will update the group when I find out more.

As for 1, do you have a link for the Prius PHV adapter? I found mostly 3-prong adapters or other higher-voltage ones, but didn't see any 2-prong adapters.

Thanks again!