Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Importing USA sold Tesla into Puerto Rico

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Reeler

Decade of Pure EV Driving
Oct 14, 2015
Denver, CO
I have a 2018 Model 3 that I am considering moving to Puerto Rico. It looks like there are now some superchargers on the island and a service center. I see plenty of Tesla cars in PR.

I presume the car's cellular connectivity and maps would still work. Tesla will gimp models moved between regions and countries sometimes, but not sure what they do when moving between the mainland and PR. Any issues with maps, traffic updates, music streaming, warranty repair, supercharging, etc.?

I have a 2018 Model 3 that I am considering moving to Puerto Rico. It looks like there are now some superchargers on the island and a service center. I see plenty of Tesla cars in PR.

I presume the car's cellular connectivity and maps would still work. Tesla will gimp models moved between regions and countries sometimes, but not sure what they do when moving between the mainland and PR. Any issues with maps, traffic updates, music streaming, warranty repair, supercharging, etc.?
Did you ever get clarity on if the warranty was still honored after the import to Puerto Rico?

This is brilliant! My takeaway is that given PR is a core market (with sales center and a service center presence), warranty from US would be honored. Please feel free to check me in that if the conclusion is wrong!

I didn’t see any dates on the .pdf so I presume the reference still holds true?

(I’ll send reference to the local US sales/service center that indicates vehicles are NOT covered)

This is brilliant! My takeaway is that given PR is a core market (with sales center and a service center presence), warranty from US would be honored. Please feel free to check me in that if the conclusion is wrong!

Correct PR is in the same core market as the US and Canada, so you would be good: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

1652837800236.png

The core markets are:
  • USA and Canada
  • Europe
  • Australia
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Korea
  • Macau
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • United Arab Emirates
You just can't take a car from one core market to another.

Reactions: Midwest317
Correct PR is in the same core market as the US and Canada, so you would be good: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

View attachment 805651

The core markets are:
  • USA and Canada
  • Europe
  • Australia
  • Hong Kong
  • Japan
  • Jordan
  • Korea
  • Macau
  • Mexico
  • New Zealand
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • United Arab Emirates
You just can't take a car from one core market to another.
Thanks for that. It just blows my mind that our local office in Indiana states it is not allowable.

1652839903235.png