TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Impossible Engineering episode on the GigaFactory 5/25/17

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Shumdit, May 18, 2017.

1. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Science channel will show a new episode of Impossible Engineering on 5/25/17 (9 PM Eastern, but check your local listings) on the GIgafactory for those interested. Hope this is in the correct section and not a repost.

• Informative x 6
    • Like x 3
  2. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

Thanks for the heads-up. I have my DVR set. However, I can't find any episode details on-line other than the title "Inside the Tesla Factory". Is this definitely about the Gigafactory rather than the Fremont factory?

3. RacerX

RacerX 3x F1 World Champion #44

Columbus/CLE/Cincinnati/Mason, OH. /Detroit USA
    Yes This episode will be on Science Channel:
    May 25 2017 9pm EST
    May 26 2017 12:08am EST
    June 1 2017 8pm EST

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Active Member

It's unclear. My TiVo Bolt+ has no description other than the title. But, it uses crap Rovi guide data.

TV Listings Grid, TV Guide and TV Schedule, Where to Watch TV Shows - Screener doesn't help either.

• Like x 1
  5. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

I'm going to record it just in case. If it's really about the Gigafactory, then it would be quite a coup!

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

The promo commercial shows the Gigafacttory under construction and they specifically mention the Gigafactory (although oddly, they also so a Model S in production it looks like, or that's how it looked). I feel confident this is Gigafactory related.

• Informative x 1
  7. Trips

Trips Member

Thank you Directv for charging for all these extra channels that I've never watched. You never know when you might find something good on them. (Choice Package and above)

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  8. Mach Schnell!

Mach Schnell! Gearhead, Engineer & P100D(L) Pilot

Thanks! Set to record.

9. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Thanks. I have to go check now if the Science Channel is one of my 1800 channels. :)
    I am really getting a very low efficiency viewing with my TV. Maybe watch 10 out of 1800 channels :)

• Funny x 1
  10. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

#10 SMAlset, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    There's also the Science Channel Go app (in the Apple App store--SCIgo) for phone and tablet viewing that you can watch the episode for free on it if the channel is part of your package with your service provider. You can watch shows either Live or the day after they first air.

We'll definitely be checking it out. I checked to see if the app gave any info on upcoming Impossible Engineering episodes but nada. Wouldn't have known about it otherwise so thanks for the heads up.

• Informative x 1
  11. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#11 BluestarE3, May 20, 2017
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    I saw the same promo last night that @Shumdit mentioned above and it's a bit confusing. The voiceover specifically mentioned the Gigafactory, but the video also showed the Fremont factory along with cars being assembled. The episode description on the Science Channel site for Impossible Engineering says this:
    Maybe the show's producers are conflating the two factories or maybe they'll be covering both?

Speaking of Tesla (Nikola), another Science Channel series, "Mysteries of the Abandoned", has a segment on Wardenclyffe Tower in the episode, "The Tesla Conspiracy", which aired this earlier week and will rerun this afternoon (and likely again on some future dates). Also available on-line here: The Tesla Conspiracy | Mysteries of the Abandoned | Science GO
    It's a bit heavy on the conspiracy and light on the content, but gives rare glimpses of the insides of the remaining abandoned buildings at the site.

12. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Thanks for the tip; scheduled on the TiVo!

13. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

Just a heads up the show is about to air on Discovery's "Science Channel" (6pm PDT). Starts after the hour so odd timing. It airs again a little after 9pm PDT. On DirecTV we get it on Ch. 284. I'm watching on their SciGo app. Starting now.

14. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

The Dish Network channel just says "Inside the Tesla Factory".

Of course I'm already DVR'ing that series...

15. ValueAnalyst

ValueAnalyst Active Member

Not able to watch it tonight, but would love to read anything you find noteworthy new information.

16. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

#16 SMAlset, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Yes, my description when I checked zap2it.com also says "Inside the Tesla Factory" Season 3, Episode 9. Not sure where they got the gigafactory in some of the TV listings. Still interesting to watch. Some background on innovations like that factory in Italy with the what five levels of production with test track on the roof? Impressive. We haven't been to the Fremont factory so just seeing what they are showing is very interesting. Love seeing the robots and stamp press. Maybe they will address the gigafactory at some point.

As mentioned the show starts a few minutes after the hour and continues past the hour. The episode will repeat. Here's what the zap2it listing shows (PDT, using DirecTV): Th 5/25 - 9:02 - 10:04pm; Fri 5/26 - 12:08 - 1:10am; Th 6/1 - 8:00 - 9:02 pm and 11:06 - 12:08am.

Don't think there will be anything "new". But if you haven't seen how all of the car comes together including the electrostatic painting of the cars, then its all "new" to watch.

Aw, near the end of the show they touch on the gigafactory. But just more of an mention really. No view inside.

17. Trips

Trips Member

If your looking for the Gigafactory you will find it from minute 52-53. They only have a little video of the outside from a few months ago. Overall it was a ok episode that seemed to focus on the robots inside Fremont.

18. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I meant to record this, but then I sat down and my generic Tivo Wishlist to record anything with "Tesla" in it picked it up automagically.

• Like x 2
  19. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

#19 BluestarE3, May 25, 2017
    Last edited: May 25, 2017
    This was a bit disappointing. Too much filler with tangential stories. It was also weird they gave Tesla credit for coming up with regenerative braking. This was overwhelmingly about the Fremont factory with only about a minute or two about the Gigafactory. I think the "How It's Made: Dream Cars" and "Megafactories" episodes from a few years ago did a much better job covering the Fremont factory and the construction of the Model S.

20. SMAlset

SMAlset Member

They did say regenerative braking came from the auto racing community. But yeah didn't mention other manufacturers were already using it.