Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impossible Engineering episode on the GigaFactory 5/25/17

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: st50maint
The promo commercial shows the Gigafacttory under construction and they specifically mention the Gigafactory (although oddly, they also so a Model S in production it looks like, or that's how it looked). I feel confident this is Gigafactory related.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
There's also the Science Channel Go app (in the Apple App store--SCIgo) for phone and tablet viewing that you can watch the episode for free on it if the channel is part of your package with your service provider. You can watch shows either Live or the day after they first air.

We'll definitely be checking it out. I checked to see if the app gave any info on upcoming Impossible Engineering episodes but nada. Wouldn't have known about it otherwise so thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: RacerX
I saw the same promo last night that @Shumdit mentioned above and it's a bit confusing. The voiceover specifically mentioned the Gigafactory, but the video also showed the Fremont factory along with cars being assembled. The episode description on the Science Channel site for Impossible Engineering says this:
Tesla Factory - Fremont, California's 5.3 million square foot facility is the largest factory in the Western Hemisphere with the capacity to manufacture up to 1 million vehicles per year.
Maybe the show's producers are conflating the two factories or maybe they'll be covering both?

Speaking of Tesla (Nikola), another Science Channel series, "Mysteries of the Abandoned", has a segment on Wardenclyffe Tower in the episode, "The Tesla Conspiracy", which aired this earlier week and will rerun this afternoon (and likely again on some future dates). Also available on-line here: The Tesla Conspiracy | Mysteries of the Abandoned | Science GO
It's a bit heavy on the conspiracy and light on the content, but gives rare glimpses of the insides of the remaining abandoned buildings at the site.

Last edited:
Just a heads up the show is about to air on Discovery's "Science Channel" (6pm PDT). Starts after the hour so odd timing. It airs again a little after 9pm PDT. On DirecTV we get it on Ch. 284. I'm watching on their SciGo app. Starting now.

The promo commercial shows the Gigafacttory under construction and they specifically mention the Gigafactory (although oddly, they also so a Model S in production it looks like, or that's how it looked). I feel confident this is Gigafactory related.
The Dish Network channel just says "Inside the Tesla Factory".

Of course I'm already DVR'ing that series...

Yes, my description when I checked zap2it.com also says "Inside the Tesla Factory" Season 3, Episode 9. Not sure where they got the gigafactory in some of the TV listings. Still interesting to watch. Some background on innovations like that factory in Italy with the what five levels of production with test track on the roof? Impressive. We haven't been to the Fremont factory so just seeing what they are showing is very interesting. Love seeing the robots and stamp press. Maybe they will address the gigafactory at some point.

As mentioned the show starts a few minutes after the hour and continues past the hour. The episode will repeat. Here's what the zap2it listing shows (PDT, using DirecTV): Th 5/25 - 9:02 - 10:04pm; Fri 5/26 - 12:08 - 1:10am; Th 6/1 - 8:00 - 9:02 pm and 11:06 - 12:08am.

Don't think there will be anything "new". But if you haven't seen how all of the car comes together including the electrostatic painting of the cars, then its all "new" to watch.

Aw, near the end of the show they touch on the gigafactory. But just more of an mention really. No view inside.

Last edited:
If your looking for the Gigafactory you will find it from minute 52-53. They only have a little video of the outside from a few months ago. Overall it was a ok episode that seemed to focus on the robots inside Fremont.

This was a bit disappointing. Too much filler with tangential stories. It was also weird they gave Tesla credit for coming up with regenerative braking. This was overwhelmingly about the Fremont factory with only about a minute or two about the Gigafactory. I think the "How It's Made: Dream Cars" and "Megafactories" episodes from a few years ago did a much better job covering the Fremont factory and the construction of the Model S.

Last edited: