Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressed with 2017.28.4 cf44833 in some areas on my new Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just traded in my AP1 MS for an AP2 MX. I have to say after reading all the bellyaching about how terrible AP2 was, I’ve come away pleasantly surprised after a drive from Houston to Carlsbad, NM. We drove a mixture of county highways and interstates. On the interstate it is probably 97% of the way there in lane keeping. There’s still a very subtle hunting of the lines and it still wants to follow and exit it two, but overall I was able to use it most of the time. I also did have a couple of phantom brakes so hopefully those will get more rare as we move forward. There are a couple of things AP2 does much better though. Cresting hills is dramatically better now. Also finding really faint lane lines is surprisingly good. What really surprised me though was driving up to the Carlsbad Caverns visitor center, there are a bunch of switch backs to get up and down the mountain. Just for grins I turn on AP, expecting it to panic and try to drive me off the side of the road. To my utter shock it negotiated the hairpin turns perfectly. Slowing down and making the 180 degree turns almost as well as I would have. AP1 could have never managed that. Anyway I thought I’d share after almost 800 miles. We’ll do the return trip tomorrow. Hopefully it goes as well as the drive here.

I also did have a couple of phantom brakes so hopefully those will get more rare as we move forward. .

Have you enabled AEB, Auto Emergency braking option ? I am guessing this could be because of that . I was reading several posts AEB doesn't detect stationary objects or Stationary objects it just came accross like 'Stopped Car' . Just wanted to relate these Phantom breaking events to AEB

thanks

Glad to see thoughts from a recent AP1 to AP2 convert. I switched back in March so my AP1 memories may be getting a little rusty, but I also have strongly felt that AP2 17.26 and now 2017.28 are negotiating sharp curves and hilly / crest-y terrain much better than AP1 ever did, especially when going above 60mph. AP1 always got dicey above 70mph if the road isn't straight, but AP2 was able to handle 85 on a brief test without breaking a sweat.

I'm sure you've noticed already, but AP2 going through intersections (with disappearing lane lines) is quite dicey compared to AP1. That's probably the biggest discrepancy.

Reactions: macd1995
Have you enabled AEB, Auto Emergency braking option ? I am guessing this could be because of that . I was reading several posts AEB doesn't detect stationary objects or Stationary objects it just came accross like 'Stopped Car' . Just wanted to relate these Phantom breaking events to AEB

thanks
The phantom slowdowns occur when the radar is not sure if there's something in front (eg overpass). Over time these false positives will be geotagged out of the system.
AEB on the other hand is maximum braking just prior to impact, just to reduce the impact speed (not to prevent the impact). Very different thing.

Yeah the only places I had the phantom slow downs was overpass and one particularly steep hill where radar would have just seen the road and nothing else. Spots like that should eventually get White listed if nothing else, the way they were with AP1 and not be an issue in the future.

I’m at least hopeful now that they will get EAP where the promised soon. We shall see with FSD but I much prefer being on the cutting edge of AP vs vintage AP...

The phantom slowdowns occur when the radar is not sure if there's something in front (eg overpass). Over time these false positives will be geotagged out of the system.
AEB on the other hand is maximum braking just prior to impact, just to reduce the impact speed (not to prevent the impact). Very different thing.

So irrespective of enabling "AEB" phantom braking could occur ?

So irrespective of enabling "AEB" phantom braking could occur ?
Absolutely.
AEB is max braking once impact is deemed inevitable, to reduce the impact speed. The sort of braking that makes your glasses and false teeth hit the windshield:)
The phantom braking is much milder.
The behaviour of phantom braking has changed many times as Tesla has been tinkering with the AP software. Some releases had more than others.

Absolutely.
AEB is max braking once impact is deemed inevitable, to reduce the impact speed. The sort of braking that makes your glasses and false teeth hit the windshield:)
The phantom braking is much milder.
The behaviour of phantom braking has changed many times as Tesla has been tinkering with the AP software. Some releases had more than others.

Thanks Good to know,