Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impression of the Porsche Taycan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m on my second S and have been an owner and devoteé since 2013. I was curious about the Taycan given Porsche’s formidable history of superb engineering and quality. So I did a test drive.

I was blown away. In terms of fit, finish, handling and overall quality, this car is orders of magnitude better than anything I have ever owned (Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, LEXUS).
But what about range? I told the salesman that while I loved the car and the way it drove, I didn’t think it would meet my range needs. We have a second home 195 miles way which involves a 6800 foot vertical climb. Driving 10 miles over my 330 mile range S 100 D consumes 290 miles of range. To make a long story short, they leant me a used 2020 Turbo to test it. My wife followed me in case it couldn’t make it.

I was stunned by the results. In terms of range the Porsche out performed my Tesla. I arrived with 50 miles of range left -better than my S100D. Porsche truly under promises and over delivers.

This is far , far different than a Tesla, a completely different concept. It is a Porsche with electric motors (and a two speed transmission!)-100% Porsche. When Apple came out with the iPhone it was not a new telephone it was an entirely new product segment. That’s what Musk with Tesla. He didn’t just take a car and put electric motors in it he designed a entirely new electric vehicle. Much different.

Tesla’s range numbers on their new models are complete and utter fabrication. “Legal” in terms of the EPA, but complete fantasy.

Porsche, Ford, and others seem to be playing it much more honest. I’ve heard from countless people at this point that the Taycan is dramatically underrated and the Mustang Mach-E is more or less right on the money.

The “400 mile” Model S is still a pipe dream.

I was blown away. In terms of fit, finish, handling and overall quality, this car is orders of magnitude better than anything I have ever owned (Tesla, Mercedes, BMW, LEXUS).
I'm not surprised by any of what you've said, the problem Tesla face is they are not improving in these areas, service is a train wreck and the more of these real competitors that come along the more concerned I am for Tesla long term.
I saw Musk having a crack at Porsche's slow updates for OTA software, I don't know how well the Porsche functions as it is now but anyone that owns a Tesla knows their software QA is abysmal, don't throw stones in glass houses Elon.

Reactions: croman and kavyboy
Can't wait to see the battery degradation stats on Taycans and Mach-e. One of Tesla's secret sauces is battery management that is proven.
Is it though?
Compared to a first generation Leaf in Arizona, sure. I’ll give that to you.

But other modern BEVs? As an owner of a 4 year old car with 12+% degradation, I don’t think they’ve exactly got the market cornered here, if you know what I mean.

The EPA testing must be revised ASAP, there shouldn't be this much deviation in numbers between two cars, when in real world they are very close in range. On your first impressions of the car, it sounds very normal for someone's first experience with a Porsche. Quality built machines, that are about enjoyment and being bespoke/one of a kind. I definitely see myself in an E-Tron GT in the near future, simply cause it won't be as highly priced as a Taycan :p

Can't wait to see the battery degradation stats on Taycans and Mach-e. One of Tesla's secret sauces is battery management that is proven.
Yea that's definitely why there are so many 85kwh battery cars with limited charging speeds, and high degradation. Also some 90kwh owners seeing the same. Not to say other manufacturers won't have the same issues though

Porsche is known to under promise and overdeliver - that's what helps solidify their brand loyalty while making them one of the most profitable car companies in the world.

Tesla seems to be doing the opposite to try and maintain the appearance of a large advantage, and with Elon throwing shade any chance he gets - it may come to bite him one day when they do catch up in all areas. Elon has tweeted about how the paint or the fit and finish will be world class and orders of magnitude better than anyone else but that's yet to happen. We shall see when GigaTexas comes online. It's full steam ahead from the dinosaurs that have awoken. There will be more options and people will no longer be locked into any one brand. I still see Tesla being dominate for several more years but I wager the gap will narrow, especially if another battery breakthrough ends up in the hands of any or many other competitors - which is to be expected in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to testing the Taycan soon..but, keep in mind that Taycan Turbo is over $180K, and you could buy a spare S100D for the difference in price.
So, I would expect nothing less that better quality and superior range and functionality for an extra $90K. Add to that the lack of a dedicated high speed national charging network, no autopilot (even at it's current development level, I find it awesme and use it every day), and questionable long term OTA software feature upgrade ability, and the price difference becomes more dramatic. Let's see what happens when the Lucid shows up later this year as well...

I have to say it. It is interesting that a devotee on his second Tesla over 8 years has his first post. I mean I totally get that some people are car forum people and some are not - but I also wouldn't give a first time poster any automatic credibility.

The English is imperfect also - and sloppy punctuation/capitalization which isn't language dependent. I expect the average 2013 new Tesla buyer from Arizona to have more perfect English. I mean who knew 'LEXUS' was all caps?

It isn't the first report that the Taycan has better range than expected. I am sure I wouldn't cry if given one either. But this post lacks credibility.

Tesla’s range numbers on their new models are complete and utter fabrication. “Legal” in terms of the EPA, but complete fantasy.

Porsche, Ford, and others seem to be playing it much more honest.
I’ve heard from countless people at this point that the Taycan is dramatically underrated and the Mustang Mach-E is more or less right on the money.

The “400 mile” Model S is still a pipe dream.
Agreed... Tesla range estimates called into question in independent tests - Electrek

1616748027399.png

Agreed... Tesla range estimates called into question in independent tests - Electrek

View attachment 648087

This is kind of BS. Where is the 2020 or 2021 MS LR+ which has way more range than the M3 LR?

• Disagree
Reactions: maximizese