Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressions After First Two Weeks of New Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new 100D Model S on August 30th in Mount Kisco, NY. I left there and went straight to Myrtle Beach for a week of vacation. Stopped in Charlotte, NC to check out the Billy Graham museum on the way to Myrtle Beach. Drove back home to New Hampshire from Myrtle Beach just in time to miss Hurricane Florence. I thought I would put together a list of a few things I've observed that have surprised me in the first couple of weeks and 2k+ miles.
  • First off, I absolutely love the car. The technology is second to none. If you're a technology freak like myself, you will love the car. It changes everything about driving, in a good way.
  • The regen is amazing. I read all about it prior to getting my MS but its one of those things you have to experience and use for a while to really get a feel for its usefulness. It makes driving so easy. I live in NH and its pretty hilly. when I go down hills, I simply lift the accelerator just a little and I can maintain my speed vs. riding my brakes all the way down the hill like I do on my MB. It also makes stopping so much easier. You rarely need your brakes.
  • The speed assist is great and works well. Sometimes it does seem a bit jerky and puts the brakes on pretty hard when it maybe doesn't need to. However, it's a great feature and very useful on more than just long trips.
  • Autopilot is great and makes long trips so much easier to handle. The auto lane change is nice as well. You still need to pay attention but can relax a lot more as it does take away a lot of the driving tasks.
  • Slacker is good, better than I thought it would be. It played great music all the way down to myrtle beach and back.
  • Tunein is disappointing. It doesn't remember the podcasts I listen too so it's difficult to manage. The same podcasts are all available whether I've already listened to them or not. Maybe there is a way to fix this but haven't found it.
  • I've had to reboot the MDU or the MCU has rebooted itself a few times. The first time it happened was a bit scary as I was on the highway cruising pretty fast. The screen was black so I had no idea how fast I was going until it came back up. It also didn't seem to record the mileage I drove while rebooting.
  • The energy window is pretty cool but seems like more could be done. Maybe the next software update will do more.
  • The garage door automatic opening/closing is a nice feature, very convenient.
  • Waiting for software updates suck, just like waiting for new Apple IOS. However, its great knowing people are actually working to make my car more functional. Once I bought my MB, I know there will never be anything new added feature wise - they are working on the next year model. With Tesla, what I have today will only get better.
Hopefully, this will help those getting ready to take delivery to know what they might expect in the first couple thousand miles. It's an amazing car and find myself looking for excuses to drive.

One other thing I forgot to add, I wrestled with buying a 75D or 100D. I went with the 100D since I do quite a bit of long trips. I am so glad I went with the 100D and got the add'l miles. Range is extremely important when on the road. In fact, I got caught in a situation in Charlotte where President Trump was in town and we had to wait roughly an hour for his motorcade to pass. I was concerned as I was getting pretty low on charge and I wasn't familiar with the car to know how much battery it takes sitting in traffic, no moving but with the AC, radio and other things turned on. In fact, I probably would not have made it if I had the 75D. I might have planned better if I had the 75D but it made me very thankful I went with the bigger battery.

One other thing I forgot to add, I wrestled with buying a 75D or 100D. I went with the 100D since I do quite a bit of long trips. I am so glad I went with the 100D and got the add'l miles. Range is extremely important when on the road. In fact, I got caught in a situation in Charlotte where President Trump was in town and we had to wait roughly an hour for his motorcade to pass. I was concerned as I was getting pretty low on charge and I wasn't familiar with the car to know how much battery it takes sitting in traffic, no moving but with the AC, radio and other things turned on. In fact, I probably would not have made it if I had the 75D. I might have planned better if I had the 75D but it made me very thankful I went with the bigger battery.
I had the 75 and made the Cape Cod to Orlando trips multiple times and to the North when it was 20 below without any problem but the extra range of the 100 definitely provides a nice buffer especially during the winter and like you stated, in unexpected situations.

I was surprised with how much I had gotten used to the regen until I charged to 100% where you lose regen for a little while. In some cases where I can spare a few miles, I only charge to 96-98% to minimize the time without it since I hate how much I have to use my brakes again.

I was surprised with how much I had gotten used to the regen until I charged to 100% where you lose regen for a little while. In some cases where I can spare a few miles, I only charge to 96-98% to minimize the time without it since I hate how much I have to use my brakes again.

Do you constantly charge above 90%? Wouldn't that be harmful for the battery life or are you leasing the car? But yeah.... the regen is pretty awesome.

Do you constantly charge above 90%? Wouldn't that be harmful for the battery life or are you leasing the car? But yeah.... the regen is pretty awesome.
Technically yes it is more harmful, but I don’t have charging at home, so I often charge to 100% at work and then immediately drive the 30 miles home and don’t charge again for a few days when I’m down to ~20-30%. Live in a condo, but the city is installing more charging stations soon, so I hopefully won’t have to do it as much.

Technically yes it is more harmful, but I don’t have charging at home, so I often charge to 100% at work and then immediately drive the 30 miles home and don’t charge again for a few days when I’m down to ~20-30%. Live in a condo, but the city is installing more charging stations soon, so I hopefully won’t have to do it as much.

Ahh.. well hopefully the city builds those soon without charging outrageous prices!

One more thing I thought of that surprised me on the first trip was the large drain on the battery when driving through heavy rain. We ran into some pretty significant rain on the way home and the battery drain was much higher. I'm not sure why this is but would be interesting if anyone has information. It's difficult to know how much more battery but could tell as I was using ABRP and also the amount of energy used. I don't remember the exact number of m/kw but just remember it was significantly higher during heavy rains - maybe 20-25%? Once the rain stopped, things went back to normal. Probably not a problem in most cases but something to keep in mind if you know your going to be going through heavy rain for any period of time.

I am lost as to why you are waiting on sw updates? They come when they are fully tested and ready for release. How would you know there was an update in the works? I have 125k miles, i get the notice they have been downloaded into car, and it asked me when do i want them installed.
If your system reboots more than once a month? Call Fremont imediately . They can log in and read your error codes. 877.798.3752
The sw guys are great if you have a glitch. I was in Salt Lake City, had a glitch, called, it went to level 2 team, they worked on it and stayed with me for 4 hours . It was perfect after they found what had happened. It wasnt a driving issue, it was an app problem.

"If your system reboots more than once a month? Call Fremont imediately . They can log in and read your error codes. 877.798.3752"

good advice, I will do that. I thought reboots were par for the course from what I read on this and other forums so glad to hear otherwise.