Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressions After Month 1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our LRY is our third electric car. We were looking at many electrics which were mostly not available, then Tesla cut their prices to a rational level and we ordered one and got it in 5 days. I am a nut about efficiency. Comments and wish list items:
  1. I am able to get excellent range locally, I use about 180 wh/mile around town. As in my other electric cars the key to doing this is to coast a lot and avoid the inefficiencies of accelerating and regen. But its hard to watch the little green/gray bar graph to the side and keep it balanced. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a detent in the throttle at the neutral power point?
  2. I've only used chill mode a little but all it seems to do is cut off the top end of power. My Honda Clarity PHEV has several throttle maps you can select with varying motor responses to accelerator pedal input. Is there some way to do that in the Y? Slower response but without cutting off the top end would make it easier to drive economically and still give you full power if needed.
  3. The climate control seems primitive for an advanced car where heat/AC has a big effect on range. My home HVAC lets you set a temperature spread between heat and AC, we usually use about 10F. Why can't the Tesla controls do that? Another simpler way to help this would be to add a heat on/off button like for AC. I don't need any heat or AC in the 45 to 75F outdoor temperature range.
  4. I read they softened up the suspension a few months ago. Its still fairly stiff to me, but fine for Florida where I live. If I was still in the northeast it might not be tolerable.
  5. Love the available power and the brake and steering feel.
  6. I have many doubts they will ever be able to use the cameras for accurate parking assist. Especially the front camera which does not even seem to be able to see the bumper.

Tesla_Model_Y_Dual_Motor_Pearl_White_Multi-Coat_(1).jpg

"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Pearl White Multi-Coat (1)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

I have been driving my new MYP for a month now. My take from perhaps a different perspective:

I don't worry too much about how "efficiently" i drive the car. I bought it to drive and enjoy it for a few years then probably move on. I rarely keep cars more than 3-5 years. Also I draw battery from 90% to at most on a heavy day 40%. Often I can charge at work for free. Having said that:

1. The base autopilot and the FSD (which I rented), are not great (FSD) not nearly worth the 15000 they charge. Maybe I would pay 1-2000 at the most, or they should pay us given that were guinea pigs on a beta version. The system disconnects often and you have to be constantly applying torque on the steering in order to say on. FSD does miss and screw up quite a bit. The base version was good at keeping lane and speed but after it slowed down for a car it takes forever to accelerate back to speed..to the point where it annoys me and the traffic behind me. So I would give Tesla a 2 stars for their overhyped AP systems.

2. Acceleration is truly amazing on the performance model I have. Smooth, linear, quiet and leaves most cars on the road behind(including many of those priced over 100k,

3. Steering response is similar or better than many sports cars I have driven in the past....the ability to adjust it is a great option.

4. Suspension. I drive in Michigan(potholes galore...) the NE driving you alluded to. I think the suspension is tuned in great balance to the sports car buffs expectations of stiff response, with a bit of forgiveness for when you find a pothole or a slight bump on the freeway. But its not the old Cadillac boat...nor do I want it that way. I find it perfect for the car...and the variety of drivers. From sports car buffs to Dr. Mom driving to and from work. My wife who has a nice comfy Toyota Siena Hybrid Minivan cant wait to drive the Tesla.

5. Interior Comfort and Climate: I have not used the AC yet. Still Winter here. The heat works great. All 5 seats have heating plus steering wheel. and compared with ICE cars its always ready for me when I go to work in the morning. The seats are comfortable. Drivers seat keeps you snug if you drive it like a racecar, and comfortable for daily use. Lumbar on drivers side is nice. I hear they got rid of it on passenger side...dont find it to be a big deal esp if it saves a few bucks.

6. Its super quiet. Can barely hear the hum of the tires on the freeway. Great for taking calls or attending meetings.

7. MODS: I love that there is so much fun stuff to mod on this car. I added the following:

A. Power Frunk: It took about 3.5 hours following the video and product from EVOffer. I love using it. Works great and not that hard to install as some say, if you follow the EVOffer install video. If you are on the fence here based on some past negativity...get it. I use it all the time to put in cold groceries.
B. Compartment organizers: Center Console etc. Must have.
C. Tesla Door Lights. Easy install.
D. S3XY Buttons: honestly can do without these buttons once you get good at the main screen and phone app. I installed them and use them but prob not necessary. Also they kept falling off and I had to really heat up the plastic with a blow-dryer to get them to stick. Prob cause I live in cold Michigan.
E: Tint. Did the front windows to same degree as the rear windows.

8. The way I drive, I am a bit aggressive and temperamental at times with the Gauss pedal... I usually get about 2-3 percent less range than the estimate. and its nice that after a while I know how much battery I will use to various destiantions..so can plan based on that. Don't usually need the computer estimate. but when I do I know what its going to be off by. Their estimate assumes grandma is driving on cruise control in the slow lane on the freeway. I dont find that heating takes up much energy. I use the app Tesla provides and its a very small percentage.
I didn't even consider autopilot seems crazy to spend that much.
Even on my LR model the acceleration is impressive, especially since my backup car has 65 hp.
Interesting that you are fine with the suspension on Michigan roads, although I guess most people must be else they would not have bought it.
I also would like to know where to get some of those mods. I did one fun mod of my own after seeing so many with Model Y plate surrounds. See below.
IMG_9273.jpg

I didn't even consider autopilot seems crazy to spend that much.
Even on my LR model the acceleration is impressive, especially since my backup car has 65 hp.
Interesting that you are fine with the suspension on Michigan roads, although I guess most people must be else they would not have bought it.
I also would like to know where to get some of those mods. I did one fun mod of my own after seeing so many with Model Y plate surrounds. See below.View attachment 914523
I love that plate. Now i Have to get one. :)
My favorite mod was the Automatic Frunk. It works as published. Ignore the negative BS. If you install it like on the video from the EVOFFER installer (on EVOffer Auto Frunk page), it will be straightforward and relatively easy. Take your time and do it right watch the video a few times and even seemingly minor points should be followed. Dont rush through any parts and have a little bit of know how(hands on experience). NOTE: I fix things around the house but I hire for handy man level work. So I am not a car mechanic or hands on wiz.

7. MODS: I love that there is so much fun stuff to mod on this car. I added the following:

A. Power Frunk: It took about 3.5 hours following the video and product from EVOffer. I love using it. Works great and not that hard to install as some say, if you follow the EVOffer install video. If you are on the fence here based on some past negativity...get it. I use it all the time to put in cold groceries.
D. S3XY Buttons: honestly can do without these buttons once you get good at the main screen and phone app. I installed them and use them but prob not necessary. Also they kept falling off and I had to really heat up the plastic with a blow-dryer to get them to stick. Prob cause I live in cold Michigan.

8. The way I drive, I am a bit aggressive and temperamental at times with the Gauss pedal... I usually get about 2-3 percent less range than the estimate. and its nice that after a while I know how much battery I will use to various destiantions..so can plan based on that. Don't usually need the computer estimate. but when I do I know what its going to be off by. Their estimate assumes grandma is driving on cruise control in the slow lane on the freeway. I dont find that heating takes up much energy. I use the app Tesla provides and its a very small percentage.
Do you have a link to the buttons and the door lights?

Did you have the Climate Control set to Auto? In the Auto setting I rarely have to activate the windshield defogger manually. Usually I am trying to defog the side mirrors when I turn on the rear window defogger/defroster (can't see anything out of the rear window 99% of the time anyway.)
Yes...of course...Granted, I don't know if it is defogging/defrosting automatically if I don't see the need to...but the times I knew I'd probably need to, I had to activate it manually..

I almost moved forward with the power fronk but then I read some people say that when there's broke and was stuck shut it was pretty costly to open. Any calming insight to this concern?:)
I saw some of those reviews and vids. Scared me. I think they are of older hardware. The newer ones have better hardware and release options. Also I think the bigger problem is that There are sooo many owners installing these. I think some are just not installing them properly. Ive seen some Youtube videos with bad advice.

I found the best video with some minor variation to non critical stuff from EVOffer rep. Its on page where you buy the hardware.
Video name: “Electric Frunk MARK 4.0 Feature Preview.”
The Mark 5 current version is minimally different and does not pose problems.

Safety:
1. Child safety button inside frunk. Press light and frunk oppens. Can also use to power close
2. Emergency power cable release goes to same spot as regular emergency round pop out button on front fender(driver side). Easy peasy to get to.
3. Can access and cut the power Frunk motor cable from inside the wheel well…. As last resort.

So as you can see you should never get stuck.

The Frunks that dont close or latch properly…those users were clearly not following good instructions or are from older models. Its hard to screw up if you use tape to mark the latch mechanism before taking apart(one of the most impt steps). And to properly tension the latch cable. See video.

I did not intend to open discussion on this …ha ….and prob said too much… but DM me if you have questions. I can sanp pics for you it helps. I didnt post links to anything. I am not supporting any of the companies went with the company above based on other reviews online. So far so good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smeghead
Our LRY is our third electric car. We were looking at many electrics which were mostly not available, then Tesla cut their prices to a rational level and we ordered one and got it in 5 days. I am a nut about efficiency. Comments and wish list items:
  1. I am able to get excellent range locally, I use about 180 wh/mile around town. As in my other electric cars the key to doing this is to coast a lot and avoid the inefficiencies of accelerating and regen. But its hard to watch the little green/gray bar graph to the side and keep it balanced. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a detent in the throttle at the neutral power point?
  2. I've only used chill mode a little but all it seems to do is cut off the top end of power. My Honda Clarity PHEV has several throttle maps you can select with varying motor responses to accelerator pedal input. Is there some way to do that in the Y? Slower response but without cutting off the top end would make it easier to drive economically and still give you full power if needed.
  3. The climate control seems primitive for an advanced car where heat/AC has a big effect on range. My home HVAC lets you set a temperature spread between heat and AC, we usually use about 10F. Why can't the Tesla controls do that? Another simpler way to help this would be to add a heat on/off button like for AC. I don't need any heat or AC in the 45 to 75F outdoor temperature range.
  4. I read they softened up the suspension a few months ago. Its still fairly stiff to me, but fine for Florida where I live. If I was still in the northeast it might not be tolerable.
  5. Love the available power and the brake and steering feel.
  6. I have many doubts they will ever be able to use the cameras for accurate parking assist. Especially the front camera which does not even seem to be able to see the bumper.

View attachment 913852
"Tesla Model Y Dual Motor Pearl White Multi-Coat (1)" by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail
Yes and double-yes to the idle range between heat and cool! But then again.. to work where I live (midwest) it'd also need humidity sensors and even then wouldn't really work probably, so I just accept having to constantly fiddle with the temp. when outside is anything above 45-deg. Annoying, but trivial.

Reactions: Gonebananas
Yes and double-yes to the idle range between heat and cool! But then again.. to work where I live (midwest) it'd also need humidity sensors and even then wouldn't really work probably, so I just accept having to constantly fiddle with the temp. when outside is anything above 45-deg. Annoying, but trivial.
The saddest part of the climate control is that most other manufacturers figured out better solutions years ago. The previous 7 cars my wife and I have had over the past 25 years all had excellent set and forget climate control. Second saddest part is that there is not an aftermarket fix for the MY as there is for so many of the issues.

Reactions: Gonebananas
I have been driving my new MYP for a month now. My take from perhaps a different perspective:

I don't worry too much about how "efficiently" i drive the car. I bought it to drive and enjoy it for a few years then probably move on. I rarely keep cars more than 3-5 years. Also I draw battery from 90% to at most on a heavy day 40%. Often I can charge at work for free. Having said that:

1. The base autopilot and the FSD (which I rented), are not great (FSD) not nearly worth the 15000 they charge. Maybe I would pay 1-2000 at the most, or they should pay us given that were guinea pigs on a beta version. The system disconnects often and you have to be constantly applying torque on the steering in order to say on. FSD does miss and screw up quite a bit. The base version was good at keeping lane and speed but after it slowed down for a car it takes forever to accelerate back to speed..to the point where it annoys me and the traffic behind me. So I would give Tesla a 2 stars for their overhyped AP systems.

2. Acceleration is truly amazing on the performance model I have. Smooth, linear, quiet and leaves most cars on the road behind(including many of those priced over 100k,

3. Steering response is similar or better than many sports cars I have driven in the past....the ability to adjust it is a great option.

4. Suspension. I drive in Michigan(potholes galore...) the NE driving you alluded to. I think the suspension is tuned in great balance to the sports car buffs expectations of stiff response, with a bit of forgiveness for when you find a pothole or a slight bump on the freeway. But its not the old Cadillac boat...nor do I want it that way. I find it perfect for the car...and the variety of drivers. From sports car buffs to Dr. Mom driving to and from work. My wife who has a nice comfy Toyota Siena Hybrid Minivan cant wait to drive the Tesla.

5. Interior Comfort and Climate: I have not used the AC yet. Still Winter here. The heat works great. All 5 seats have heating plus steering wheel. and compared with ICE cars its always ready for me when I go to work in the morning. The seats are comfortable. Drivers seat keeps you snug if you drive it like a racecar, and comfortable for daily use. Lumbar on drivers side is nice. I hear they got rid of it on passenger side...dont find it to be a big deal esp if it saves a few bucks.

6. Its super quiet. Can barely hear the hum of the tires on the freeway. Great for taking calls or attending meetings.

I assume MOD C is lighted sill plates. I have advice on those even if that's not what you meant.
They don't solve a problem as much as they are just kewl. I unstalled the Hansshow ones which are way better than the Tesla ones. The aftermarket ones are better because you don't have to scrape off the OE parts, all 4 doors have plates, and the batteries are replaceable. I even found an excellent deal at Mr. Bezos' website.

Last edited:
I assume MOD C is lighted sill plates. I have advice on those even if that's not what you meant.
They don't solve a problem as much as they are just kewl. I unstalled the Hansshow ones which are way better than the Tesla ones. The aftermarket ones are better because you don't have to scrape off the OE parts, all 4 doors have plates, and the batteries are replaceable. I even found an excellent deal at Mr. Bezos' website.
I installed the Tesla Lighted Sill Plates. Love em. Yeah just a little cool factor for non tesla passengers :). I used a light string to remove the OEM ones without damaging them. They were plastic. The glue they used for the MYP23 came off in about 3 minutes with the hair dryer(I am in Cold MI). Its was stretchy and pulled right off. Not as bad as some of the video portrayed. I like that they have 2 batteries and I assume will last longer..or at least for the 3-5 years I usually keep a car for. :) Once they die will just look like OEM. No harm.