TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Impressions from a tall driver/passanger at Palo Alto event

Discussion in 'Model S' started by contaygious, Aug 12, 2012.

1. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Mike already posted great pictures and insights from the test drive event, but I wanted to add my impressions as a tall driver in case anyone is interested. I'm 6’8 and today my wife drove the black performance with tan/cf interior first and then I took my own test drive after. It was obviously a blast to drive.

I have sat in the back before and hit my head, but this time there was a panoramic roof and I had no issues whatsoever. It makes a big difference for headroom. I can post a pic if anyone wants it. There is plenty of leg room as well. I was really impressed at the difference since last time.

As the driver, I noticed a couple of issues. First, when I move the steering wheel down to go with my lowered seat it blocks the screens on both sides so it's hard to see the nav and media, etc. through the wheel. I tried fiddling with the seat and wheel, but never got it where I wanted exactly. the wheel also doesn't go down very far so I have to grip the wheel below the buttons. I could raise my seat, but then I'd hit my head. My infinity moves the screen down with the steering wheel which is nice and will be missed. The second issue is that the wheel does not raise when the car is turned off. It's hard to get out with my legs smacking into the wheel, but I am told this can be fixed via software.

Power folding side mirrors sound like a no go. They told me they are trying to kill the mirrors and replace with cameras in the future anyway in new models so I doubt they would add motors for folding. Luckily it was easy to reach out and fold the mirror in.

The panoramic roof bar is ugly, but I guess I won't see it while driving. Actually I won't see the panoramic roof hardly at all given you have to look up and back while driving to see it. My two cars have the moonroof in front of you so it's more noticeable and feels much more open. I'm kinda sad that I have this huge open roof for the non existent passengers behind me when I drive, but will appreciate the air coming through.

Regen is partially overrated IMO. Our mini s and Past bmws already slow down nearly as much. It didn't slow down enough to a avoid breaking when coming up on a car or at a stop sign. I was expecting a lot more. It's still nice, but often exaggerated a bit.

I'm pretty torn on the stereo. I brought a USB stick with flac and lossless which it played fine, but I'll need more time to judge the stereo. I heard 5 tracks and my initial impression was that it is lacking bass. I listened to hip hop And electronic for a bit where I know the bass should be hard and sharp, but I didn't feel much. I made sure eq was flat. I noticed with the bass up high it has some powers but the flat eq is just too low in bass. Also, I thought Dolby made it all sound worse and had to turn that off. It's nice that you can move the center position to be on the driver. Also, it turns up plenty loud and doesn't get distorted at all which is nice. I saw slak3r on the car for those who like it.

I thought the fit and finish of the interior was excellent. I loved the shelf, pouch, bag holding area, cf, etc. it was all really high quality.

For nav, if you don't have tech package then it is purely google maps with directions. No nav whatsoever. The arrow won't move when you drive.

I love the new exterior nose and fit of the trim. It is much improved. Mike had a pic of the red s with new nose that will be standard.

Lastly, I was told creep and hill hold are coming in an update for sure.

Hope this is helpful!

Taylor

2. Tommy

Tommy Member

contaygious - thanks for the write up. I am 6' 1"; however very tall in the torso so headroom is a problem for me as well and is why I opted for the pano. I've got the auto retract on my Lexus for the steering wheel and it's an option you don't think you need until you have it; I hope Tesla follows through with a software update to make that part of the car's driver memory. Regarding power mirrors; again it's an option once you have it you find lots of uses for it; also hope Tesla reconsiders this as well.

There has been different views regarding the quantity of bass (vs quality) output the premium system delivers; keep us posted if you get a chance to do more listening. Again, thanks for posting the info

3. chmod a+wrx

chmod a+wrx Member

Thanks, man.

I am curious as to how they are going to eliminate the side mirrors and replace with cameras....I'm just trying to imagine the implementation of that.

I am 6'4", so I am glad to hear that YOU felt comfortable in the car in terms of headroom.

4. MikeK

MikeK R#129, TSLA shareholder

That's so weird. With the EQ flat, I could feel the seat and steering wheel vibrating from the bass on the tracks I played. That was in the Sunset Red car. Why would your experience be so different? I wonder if some of the cars are differently equipped, or running different software. I think the only way to answer the question would be to try multiple cars at an event like this, with the same tracks.

5. contaygious

Yeah, I think you guys will feel pretty comfortable and won't have to lower the seat all the way which causes some issues with the screen behind the steering wheel. Also, the shoulder room is great.

6. MikeK

If you check out the videos from the Model S event at Santana Row, they had the views from the exterior "wing" cameras within the "gauge cluster" screen behind the steering wheel. I personally think that would be a bit weird. One of the things that's nice about an outside mirror is that as you glance towards the mirror, it also shifts your peripheral vision, so you see more to the side of the car as well. You wouldn't get that effect with a display right in front of you. On the other hand, you could have wide angle views.

I would definitely like to try a camera-based system to see how it works in practice.

7. contaygious

That's a good point. Looking at the mirror causes me to check my blind spot. Plus, I doubt it would be legal to only have cameras.

8. MikeK

My understanding is that it is not currently legal, but it may be possible to get that regulation updated if it can be shown to be as safe as or safer than...

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Given how many people don't check the outside mirrors because they'd have to turn there head, I don't see how a case can be made that outside mirrors are safer. No safety device works unless it is used.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Roadster has a lot more regen.

Hill hold, great.

Who needs creep?

11. contaygious

Yeah not sure why they are adding creep. Hill hold would be good enough.

As for cameras, I see audi is replacing mirrors now already so maybe it's not too far off:
    audi-r8etron-rearviewdisplay-580x409.jpg