Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive 90D range!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great info. I'll test that out next time for sure. Definitely a slower rate here than there. Could it also have something to do with the heat? It was 105 during 2nd charge. More energy to cool the battery?

Either way I was really excited. I was so anxious about my Tucson round trips. I now know I can drive down there, go on a bunch of meetings and get back to the charger with a buffer. I had used just about 79 kw when I pulled up to chargers and I was:

Blasting the AC all day
Pre-cooling
Experimenting at 80 and 85 mph
When I knew I could get to the supercharger with no issue I also got the car up to about 110 mph for a brief time.

With all that I was still fine. Big fear is officially annihilated. I'm even more in love with car now.

1st long trip from Scottsdale to Tucson today. Did my first (and second) supercharges.

Here's some stats from the day about wh/mile at different speeds and supercharger info.

75 mph with range mode on got 326 wh/mile / 90kw full charge is 273 range

75 mph with range mode off got 372 wh/mile (242 range)

It was 90 outside and I had air at 70.

Later in the afternoon it was 105 outside and air at 68 (no tint yet).

80 mph range mode on since it works 414 wh/mile (217 range)

Stopped at supercharger on the way down:
188 rated miles left. Got to 232 in 16 minutes (+44)

Stopped at supercharger on the way up:
41 rated miles left got to 131 in 30 minutes (+90)

Thought supercharger rate when battery was mostly full would be slower and when it was almost empty would be faster. Big surprise 30 minutes only got me 90 miles.

Very interesting numbers and thanks for the wonderful report!

The other day I was the only one at the SC and came in at 8%. I was charging at about 300 mph. It took about an hour to go from 8% to 90%. About another hour to get to 98%. Another half hour to get to 99% and then I gave up because it was charging at about 2 mph.

That's more like it! So, in about 30 minutes you got to 50-60% then it started tapering off? You're 30 minutes got you about 130-140 miles. Mine got me 90. Wither something's wrong with my car, the charger or hot AZ Summer's slow down the rate a lot!

Anyone know what's most likely?

Side note--it says all over the manual not to charge to 100% regularly. 90% is recommended. I'd be really nervous to charge up to 100% especially at the supercharger. I think it tapers off to be sure it doesn't hurt the battery.

That's more like it! So, in about 30 minutes you got to 50-60% then it started tapering off? You're 30 minutes got you about 130-140 miles. Mine got me 90. Wither something's wrong with my car, the charger or hot AZ Summer's slow down the rate a lot!

Side note--it says all over the manual not to charge to 100% regularly. 90% is recommended. I'd be really nervous to charge up to 100% especially at the supercharger. I think it tapers off to be sure it doesn't hurt the battery.
If you have tried couple of different SpCs and the charging rate is low, talk to your SC, they can pull the logs even without you needing to take the car there. Most likely it was SpC that was not performing to capacity.

You need to see what speeds you're charging at with different chargers before you can conclude an issue with your car. Sometimes chargers can be slow in heat - I've had slow charges at Harris Ranch due to 100 degree heat.

View attachment 178791 View attachment 178792 View attachment 178791 Just wanted to share my story about our first supercharge experience and road trip in our Model X on Memorial Day.

Background information of our car: 90D, 20" wheels, active spoiler, 1000 miles on odometer and range mode on. Temps around 88F under sunny skies when leaving GA.

We drove from our home in the Atlanta area to Charleston, South Carolina today.
We supercharged in Greenville, South Carolina and allowed for the entire 65 minutes needed to go from our 100 estimated miles when we arrived to what topped out at 262 miles when supercharging completed.
I was at 90% when departing Atlanta (estimated 240 miles range) we drove 128 miles to Greenvile and arrived with an estimated 100 miles of remaining range.
Only a 12 mile difference than initially estimated.
We auto pioleted 95% of the way and speed was set to 77 mph so I thought it was extremely efficient. We averaged 335 wh/mile for this initial jaunt.

The Greenville supercharger is within walking distance of Whole Foods, Chipotle and REI so 1 hr of charging time even with two kids under 4 years old was easy to kill. Ended up with some goodies too at REI in the process. :)

Now here's where it got very interesting.

After charging full to 262 miles in Greenville our Charleston destination remained 220 miles away. 42 miles of estimated buffer is a little too close for comfort for me but knowing the weather was going to mostly cooperate, the temps were toasty and we would go 1000' down in elevation en route I was confident we would make it (if not we could go to the Santee Supercharger although it is a good bit out of the way).

I set autopilot in motion and kept speed at 65 mph, what I've read here to be the sweet spot for X efficiency.

Check out the stats below of what I was able attain.
Important to note the last 60 miles of our trip ended up being in moderate to heavy Tropical Depression Bonnie rains.
Our Wh/mile managed to drop down to around 315.

I also followed our trip meter total energy tab to see how many miles both 85 kwh and 90 kw hours provided under my above mentioned conditions from Atlanta to Charleston.

At 85 kWh of usage I had driven 270 miles while 90kwh of usage rendered ~290 miles of actual driving.

To sum it all up.
I was estimated 262 miles of range, I drove 220 actual miles and arrived with 48 miles remaining. I think the 90X on 20" wheels can easily get 270 miles if kept between 65-70 mph under ideal weather conditions (elevation permitting).
Going 65 in a 70 mph speed limit was really a not a big deal for me today as being a holiday weekend there were dozens of cops hiding everywhere the entire route and it was 1 less thing to worry about.

Hope you find this info useful!
PS....I'm very very glad I got the 90D over the 70(5)D and auto pilot performed heavenly. Cannot begin to describe how I feel about this amazing technology.
I was telling my wife the auto pilot alone is worth the 6 figure price point!

It tapers off because the battery can't take fast charging when it's getting nearly full. I heard Elon give an analogy. Think of the electrons when charging going into parking spaces. When the lot is empty, it is fast and easy for them to find a "parking" spot. When it starts filling-up, the electrons take longer to find a spot.

If it could charge fast all the way to 100%, I think it would.

Those "look how efficient my car is" reports are useless. After around 100k miles I drove in two Teslas my opinion is that the only TRUE range indicator is you lifetime average. If you car is super efficient, I can guarantee you that you either had tailwind or drove in an down angle very slightly.

Once you have 10k miles show us the lifetime average and I would not be surprised if it is close to 400 wh/mile :)

Great report - thanks. I'm always in a hurry, so I never manage to drive that efficiently, but it is nice to know that it can be done. Anecdotally, I've notice that at higher speeds (like 80+ MPH), the X uses significantly more energy than my S, but that's to be expected.

And yes, AP rocks!!!