Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive Anti-Elon Attack Ad

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Nov 28, 2006
16,898
1,018
SF Bay Area
"Don't ask us to pay for it!"

And by "us" they apparently mean the entire solar system??

I wonder who's behind it. The "filthy hippie" bit tells you something about the intended audience.
 

Nevek

Overt Member
Apr 30, 2014
583
289
Seattle
....I wonder who's behind it. The "filthy hippie" bit tells you something about the intended audience.

Bezos' revenge!

(actually, I like the bantering twits between he and Musk and think it's healthy)

(ohmman-have you got an image or a story for the "banter twits"?




 

drinkerofkoolaid

Active Member
Nov 3, 2012
1,816
1,756
F
Is this the Mike Ross who uploaded the video?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Ross_(politician)

Pelosi cracks the whips to get climate bill passed, page 1 | Grist

There are a handful of Democrats displaying outright opposition to the bill, including Mike Ross (Ark.), who was one of only four Democrats to vote against it in
committee. Ross issued a press release on Wednesday referring to the House bill as an “energy tax” and touting an alternative bill, the American-Made Energy Act of 2009, that he released this week.
 
Last edited:

artsci

Sponsor
May 10, 2012
6,256
3,230
Timonium, Maryland
Who does these kinds of things? Lies and more lies. One would hope that more billionaires emulate Elon. Talk about tax payer subsidies -- the fossil fuel industry makes Elon's ventures look like pocket change.
 

bonnie

I play a nice person on twitter.
Feb 6, 2011
16,427
9,740
Columbia River Gorge
Awesome comments on the video - I'm betting they (where 'they' means 'whatever short or big oil company funded this') weren't expecting this kind of backlash.
 

wdolson

Well-Known Member
Jul 24, 2015
7,459
9,956
Clark Co, WA
The video was posted by "Mike Ross" who created his account on Dec 8. This is the only thing he's posted.

Searching for Mike Rosses out there, there is a fictional character from the TV show Suits named Mike Ross. There are two former US House of Representatives named Mike Ross, one died in 2007 and the other is from Arkansas, but a Democrat. However he's a conservative Democrat running for governor.

I think it's likely the person who created the YouTube account is either just some guy out there who has not been on the political map before, or it's someone taking a nom de plume for some reason.

In any case it's clearly a gross distortion of the facts.
 

tigerade

Member
May 14, 2013
663
65
Georgia
The video was posted by "Mike Ross" who created his account on Dec 8. This is the only thing he's posted.

Searching for Mike Rosses out there, there is a fictional character from the TV show Suits named Mike Ross. There are two former US House of Representatives named Mike Ross, one died in 2007 and the other is from Arkansas, but a Democrat. However he's a conservative Democrat running for governor.

I think it's likely the person who created the YouTube account is either just some guy out there who has not been on the political map before, or it's someone taking a nom de plume for some reason.

In any case it's clearly a gross distortion of the facts.

Exactly. This really doesn't seem like it was created by a professional political originazation. If it was, what would be the point? You can't lobby against Tesla's DOE loan because they have paid it back already, there is nothing left to do. You could maybe argue that they are just preaching to the choir, but I don't see a point. People who are anti-solar or anti-EV don't need any more convincing.

I'd say the chances here are that there is a 10% chance that this ad is real and a 90% chance that this was created for troll worthiness only.

I vote that we are being trolled.

Edit: UNLESS, this Mike Ross guy really does have a personal vendetta against Elon. If that is the case, this is probably the stupidest possible way to go about it.
 

wdolson

Well-Known Member
Jul 24, 2015
7,459
9,956
Clark Co, WA
Exactly. This really doesn't seem like it was created by a professional political originazation. If it was, what would be the point? You can't lobby against Tesla's DOE loan because they have paid it back already, there is nothing left to do. You could maybe argue that they are just preaching to the choir, but I don't see a point. People who are anti-solar or anti-EV don't need any more convincing.

I'd say the chances here are that there is a 10% chance that this ad is real and a 90% chance that this was created for troll worthiness only.

I vote that we are being trolled.

There are a lot of astroturf (fake grass root) organizations out there making these sorts of materials. They usually look on first blush like they are made by some grass roots organization or an individual, but if you look a bit closer, you see it isn't quite as home made as it originally looked. This strikes me as an astroturf video. In any case, the person or people who made it have some skill as with video editing. The composition and elements look like it was made by someone who has a lot of experience making political attack ads, especially those done by super pacs.
 

Cosmacelf

Well-Known Member
Mar 6, 2013
8,432
20,124
San Diego
So, who benefits the most from this ad? I say ULA, who are SpaceX competitors. Regardless, it's a pretty stupid ad, I don't think it'll have a big impact on consumers. That's why I'm thinking it was created by the SpaceX competitor to try to influence politicians. Maybe they think they can scare enough politicians to influence key votes.
 

wdolson

Well-Known Member
Jul 24, 2015
7,459
9,956
Clark Co, WA
So, who benefits the most from this ad? I say ULA, who are SpaceX competitors. Regardless, it's a pretty stupid ad, I don't think it'll have a big impact on consumers. That's why I'm thinking it was created by the SpaceX competitor to try to influence politicians. Maybe they think they can scare enough politicians to influence key votes.

If it is an astroturf video, it's more likely to be from the energy industry. They have a history of these sorts of things.
 

Cosmacelf

Well-Known Member
Mar 6, 2013
8,432
20,124
San Diego
I doubt the energy industry is worried about EVs right now. In ten years they might wake up, but EVs are a rounding error right now.
 

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top