Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Impressive Anti-Elon Attack Ad

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I doubt the energy industry is worried about EVs right now. In ten years they might wake up, but EVs are a rounding error right now.

They are worried about solar though and Solarcity is the biggest player in the solar market. Many states have passed laws that require utilities to buy excess renewable energy from consumer's homes at the retail rate rather than the wholesale rate which is a losing proposition for the utilities. They don't get all that electricity back out of the system to deliver to another customer. This is causing the utilities to push back on renewables. In some places they won't allow renewable energy installations anymore. I believe it's become a big issue in Hawaii where electricity is more expensive than anywhere else in the US.

The utilities would like to see all government subsidies for renewable installations by customers to go away ASAP.

(ohmman-have you got an image or a story for the "banter twits"?)

I believe some twits produced the video after some banter.

Seriously, though.. glad the thing got thumbs-downed so heavily. Or, in reddit parlance, downvoted into oblivion. Nobody mentions the tax dollars we're saving on space launches due to SpaceX competition. And given yesterday's results, looking to get much cheaper as we move forward. So should we say something like "Thanks for my money?"

Impressive? Shiny happy people B-roll clips, followed by spoopy music over some pretty lame animation.

Not really all that impressive. Looks like a standard state representative lo budget attack ad fare.
For the average person that should have better things to do it's impressive (to me) that the person was so motivated to take the time produce such a video. I'm a simple windows movie maker user, so that's where I'm coming from. Didn't mean to stir anything up.

This is the kind of asset folks would use to feed an astroturf campaign with the hope if goes viral: Leaked: The Oil Lobby's Conspiracy to Kill off California's Climate Law - Businessweek

I read through the PowerPoint referenced in the article. Meh. It makes points like 57% of people in Quebec don't know about their cap and trade program coming into force. It's a valid point, and to the extent they publicize it, it creates a more informed electorate. These are major public policy issues, and having both sides promoting their point of view is a good thing.

I read through the PowerPoint referenced in the article. Meh. It makes points like 57% of people in Quebec don't know about their cap and trade program coming into force. It's a valid point, and to the extent they publicize it, it creates a more informed electorate. These are major public policy issues, and having both sides promoting their point of view is a good thing.

In general, I agree that more education and information is better. That said, I'd argue that 57% is actually a pretty high number, compared to the electorate's knowledge of most issues. Also, the main problem is selectively informing the electorate about your particular side of the issue, or even just the "two sides" of the issue. Nobody can be expected to be an expert on every policy decision, and having a tiny bit of information can sometimes be worse, as you're just following the lead of whomever selectively provided that information to you.

I don't agree. Partisans always give a slanted view of the facts. The climate change crowd is no better. You have to trust the electorate to be able to figure out the truth when given conflicting information, because it happens on every issue. As far as you implication that the electorate at large is too stupid to figure these things out, well, that's the road to a dictatorship. You either have free speech and a democracy or you don't.

As far as you implication that the electorate at large is too stupid to figure these things out, well, that's the road to a dictatorship. You either have free speech and a democracy or you don't.

Just want to point out that I don't appreciate your putting these words in my mouth. I include myself in the list of people (all of us) who cannot be experts at every policy decision. If you're informed enough to know everything that goes on outside of election season, I imagine you're retired without children or hobbies, and more power to you.

I didn't suggest censoring free speech. I believe in evidence based policy, which is why the climate change "issue" is pretty clear to me. In my ideal world, there would be an evidence based party which followed the scientific method and provided clear summary statistics for their positions. However, as you mention, partisanship is much more interesting to our human brains. Our brains are wired to respond affectionately to colorful anecdote. This isn't because we're "stupid", it's an artifact of our evolution.

Again, I take offense at your insinuation about my comments above, and hope you understand now what I was saying.

Didn't mean to offend you, but geez, if you have a discussion over an Internet forum, don't be surprised if someone doesn't quite understand the exact nuances of your argument.

The climate change "issue" is not clear for a lot of other people, there is no consensus in the public at large, so public discussion of it is a good thing, even if it is as hamfisted and incorrect as that Elon attack ad.

I'm still not sure what your position is via a vis the Elon ad though. You originally said there is a problem with selectively informing the electorate about your particular side since "you're just following the lead of whomever selectively provided that information". And then you backup this assertion in your second post saying that it is very hard to become an expert in every policy. So what's your conclusion and/or solution then? My conclusion is, so what? Yeah, those are problems, but I don't know how to fix them without creating a bigger problem of restricting speech.

Is your actual proposed solution an evidence based party? That won't work and I think you also agree it won't.

Not all problems have solutions...

1) No matter how bad things get, the majority of people won't care about climate change.
2) The debate over climate change is pointless and a waste of public and private resources.

This video does a very good job explaining why policy makers (politicians) should treat climate change as a top priority, and should simply ignore all parties seeking to marginalize the problem. This video is also one of the most, if not the most viewed video on YouTube related to climate change.

The Most Terrifying Video Youll Ever See - YouTube

• Disagree
Reactions: AmishEV
That is a stupid argument for action on climate change. I mean, WE NEED TO MILITARIZE SOCIETY NOW to stand a chance at repelling the alien invasion which will probably happen at some point in the future. The consequences are no action is complete obliteration of the human race. Right?