Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improve charging speed beyond 48A using 100A breaker with Gen2 Wall Connector? [not possible]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just figured that I might be having a Gen2 wall connector (without wifi) the Part Number being identified with the following prefixes: (Please see pic attached for the front facing of the charger)

(P)TPN - 1060067-##-# (or it is 1050067-##-#, where the third digit is printed all blurry)
(S)TPN - A19F001####

I have installed a 100A breaker and the electrician configured it to use max settings (D) expecting 80A (as per page 22 of user manual - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf), but then discovered that Model 3 onboard charger is limited to 48A. (Onboard Charger). Is there a way to increase the limit - by firmware update possibly - to increase the charging capacity beyond 48A?

First, am not sure if the onboard charger is the real reason for limiting consumption to 48A. Second, how is such an update possible on this charger? Third, will a firmware update help increase capacity as I imagine it should be?

Solution
I just figured that I might be having a Gen2 wall connector (without wifi) the Part Number being identified with the following prefixes: (Please see pic attached for the front facing of the charger)

(P)TPN - 1060067-##-# (or it is 1050067-##-#, where the third digit is printed all blurry)
(S)TPN - A19F001####

I have installed a 100A breaker and the electrician configured it to use max settings (D) expecting 80A (as per page 22 of user manual - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf), but then discovered that Model 3 onboard charger is limited to 48A. (Onboard Charger). Is there a way to increase the limit - by firmware update possibly - to increase the...
Attaching pic here.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2021-09-11 at 8.57.31 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2021-09-11 at 8.57.31 PM.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

(S)TPN - A19F001####

I have installed a 100A breaker and the electrician configured it to use max settings (D) expecting 80A (as per page 22 of user manual - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/wall_connector_installation_manual_80A_en_US.pdf), but then discovered that Model 3 onboard charger is limited to 48A. (Onboard Charger). Is there a way to increase the limit - by firmware update possibly - to increase the charging capacity beyond 48A?

First, am not sure if the onboard charger is the real reason for limiting consumption to 48A. Second, how is such an update possible on this charger? Third, will a firmware update help increase capacity as I imagine it should be?

No, the charger is in the car, there is no update to charge any faster than 48amps in a model 3. Only old teslas charge faster than that, even new S and X only faster than 48amp.

48Amp is 44 miles an hour, so there is not very likely you will ever need to charge faster than that. I get "charging as fast as I can", but there is zero way to charge faster in a model 3, and dont expect one in the future except for possibly a cybertruck.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Solution
No, the charger is in the car, there is no update to charge any faster than 48amps in a model 3. Only old teslas charge faster than that, even new S and X only faster than 48amp.

48Amp is 44 miles an hour, so there is not very likely you will ever need to charge faster than that. I get "charging as fast as I can", but there is zero way to charge faster in a model 3, and dont expect one in the future except for possibly a cybertruck.
Can you help understand this with respect to model 3 being able to get "supercharged" at higher speed when connected to the Tesla provided destination chargers?

Upvote 0
Can you help understand this with respect to model 3 being able to get "supercharged" at higher speed when connected to the Tesla provided destination chargers?
Supercharging does not use the onboard charger at all. It is delivered as high voltage(480V, I believe) direct current, rather than relatively low voltage alternating current from your house. That alternating current has to be both turned into direct current AND increased in voltage to the point where it can be used to charge the battery.

Note: 'Destination' charging is not supercharging(usually). rather, it is another L2 charger like the one you have installed, and you'd usually expect to stay plugged into it for a few hours. It is called Destination charging because its usually at a mall or hotel or other 'destination' you'd be likely to stay at for a while. Its uncommon to stay at a supercharging station for more than an hour or maybe 90 minutes, because the cars battery will be full(or nearly full) in that time.

• Informative
Upvote 0
If you absolutely, positively want the fastest charging possible, you could always (for hundreds or low thousands of dollars!) get a transformer installed to increase the voltage input to the HPWC to 277V or a touch more. You'd get ~10% faster charging.

If the HPWC happens to be installed at a commercial site, they'd frequently have 277V available without special work. They actually took the instructions on how to make the 277V connection out of the later Gen2 installation guides, but Gen2's still work fine with 277V inputs. I don't think anyone has ever tried a Gen3 HPWC with 277V, and if they did it would be a noncompliant installation.

• Funny
Reactions: garth_angst
Upvote 0
DV vs AC power. Superchargers are DC. Your house is AC. The onboard charger on your Tesla converts the AC power to DC to store it in the battery pack. Tesla destination chargers are simply Tesla WC with a different paint scheme. They do not charge any faster than a WC. Superchargers are completely different. You cannot “update” the onboard charger. You cannot circumvent the onboard charger unless you are using DC to charge the battery aka Supercharging.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

You mixed a couple of things up in your statement, here. Tesla "Destination" chargers do not charge any faster than 48amps for a model 3. They are the same charger you installed, which is a L2 charger capable of charging up to 80amps on a 100amp circuit, however model 3s can only be charged up to 48amps.

Superchargers (which is what the other responses quoted you) bypass the onboard charger.

The mistake you are making is in thinking the wall CONNECTOR is a charger, which its not. its a connector, that announces to the car what it can provide. The CHARGER is in the car, and in a model 3 LR / or Performance, that is up to 48 amps (32 amps for a SR+ model 3).

TL ; DR - supercharging bypasses the charger in the car and charges the battery directly. Destination chargers are not superchargers, and do not charge any faster than 48amps on a model 3 because the charger is in the car, not the connector on the wall.

• Informative
Upvote 0

(S)TPN - A19F001####

It’s pretty we’ll known that’s a hard limit that’s not likely to change. You are already at 44/hr what’s the big rush?

• Love
Upvote 0

(S)TPN - A19F001####

Good news - the electrician set your Gen 2 charger correctly for 100 Amp service. You’re all set for 2018 and earlier S & X that could charge at 80 or 72 Amps.

Bad news - Model 3 & Y chargers are only capable of handling 48 Amps.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Yeah, I think Tesla's UI kind of confuses customers since the little lights on the HPWC will kind of flow out of the unit and "into" the car as if the wall connector was doing something akin to what a gas pump was doing (where the contraption is the thing pushing stuff into the car). So it's a bit counterintuitive that when its parked in your garage, the car is the one doing the charging and the wall connector is just a simple/dumb plug.

Reactions: dhandapani
Upvote 0

(S)TPN - A19F001####

No. The model 3 is physically limited to 48A.

The 80A is for the old models (S/X) that had dual onboard chargers.

• Informative
Upvote 0
I had the same wall charger previously installed with 60A breaker. Didn't have any kind of knowledge except that i was using it to charge it around 40mph. The new electrician who installed it when I moved to a different place figured from the Tesla wall connector manual that it can do more. He frankly admitted that he is new to installing this charger and as admitted, I wasn't aware of the limits either. That's where I became a little greedy to try the max settings to see if it can be achieved. Hence the story. Thank you all for your valuable responses!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.