Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improve the "Set Charge Limit" Control!

Should Tesla add a keypad feature to set the desired charge limit to a specific level?

• Yes, keypad entry of charge limit would be a desirable convenience

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No, I happy happy with the current charge slide bar as it is

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So after 18 months with my Model S, which I love overall, I want to see whether any one else in this forum finds the "set charge limit" slider control to be inaccurate and annoying to use, especially after firmware 9.0 removed the "snap to" the line feature it had in firmware 8.0. Wouldn't it be a simple matter to allow digital entry of the desired charge level, either to the desired target percentage of charge, or mileage? Why not have a keypad option to set the charge limit more accurately, and even set up a couple of presets so that typical daily charge levels versus various desired trip levels can be entered and stored.

:rolleyes:
No, because that would make people even more obsessive about their charge level. It makes no difference if your 80% is really 82% or whatever.

Easy for you to say! Same problem as several others. Shooting for 80% and ended up with 81%. Haven't slept since I installed the latest update. I am so verklempt I can't make a coherent argument !;):confused::rolleyes:

After thousands of charges i dont care.
But, why r u changing the limit?
There should be 2 settings, home and traveling. The charge at home varies by weather and how the sytem feels.
I have solar panels, somy charging time is 10am to 4pm. Unless i get home with zero miles.
I've been in about 25 states and many more cities and Canada. I still have 2 settings which turn out to be about 180 miles or 230+ for travel.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 81
Reactions: Ciaopec
No, because that would make people even more obsessive about their charge level. It makes no difference if your 80% is really 82% or whatever.
I agree. Being that specific with something as inherently analog as a battery is a waste of time.
And now with Elon indicating that the numbers aren't that big of deal either, well 80 vs 81 just ain't that big of a deal

What would be even more useful is a "use once" setting - so that after you've charged to 100%, the charge level will be reset to the previous setting, and not risk accidentally charging back up to 100% again.

I apologize if it seems like I am encouraging charging obsessiveness syndrome (CHOBS?) with this question and poll, that is not my goal. I am just wondering if any one else would find it more to convenient to have a keypad entry system and some preset buttons instead of the current slider system. Most of us don't care if its 80 or 81 percent, we just want to have an easier way to shift the charge levels around when we need to. One respondent indicated that drivers just need two charge levels, one for daily one for trips. That is simply not true in every case. Even having preset buttons for daily and trip would be better than the current (no pun intended) slider system.

• Funny
Reactions: hiroshiy
I'd be more interested in a "Long Trip" button to set the charge limit to 100% (or some other high figure) just for the day, automatically reverting to my normal lower limit when I return home. When I get home after a long trip, I always plug the car in but often forget to change back to a normal daily limit. As for digital or slider entry of the charge limit: I don't really mind, either way is OK with me.

I find the slider clunky to use, and so usually use Remote S to set battery charge limits. I think this concern could be easily resolved with a better slider with a numerical readout of what charge % the slider is currently at. Slide it to the right, % readout goes up, slide slider down, % readout goes down. Maybe a gentle 'snap-to' for each single % change. It has always struck me as non-user friendly, this clumsy slider in the car and in the Tesla app.

I think these are all good ideas. "Clunky" is a good word for the charge control, and its funny that its an outlier in the overall design of the user interface. You can change the volume of media, the degree of heat etc, incrementally. Why not make the charge amount easier to control as well. Make the units whatever you want, it doesn't have to be 1% or 1 mile, it can be coarser, just make it easier to control.