Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improve the Tesla Dashcam by upgrading side repeater cameras?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They were introduced in August 2017 with the upgrade to the AP computer to version 2.5. So if you're browsing on EV-CPO.com for a vehicle on Tesla's site, you can sort by "AP 2.5". Or for private party/dealers, look for the build date. Another tell - the rear seat was changed as part of this minor refresh, and the two passenger seats became more contoured (and comfortable I think!). The prior version was pretty flat.

Actually you are comparing Gen1 seats with Tesla premium but a seat existed in 2016 that was made by Recaro and is Tesla's best seat: the next gen seat and it's very nicely bolstered and has real leather. Definitely better than Tesla's first attempt at seating.

Actually you are comparing Gen1 seats with Tesla premium but a seat existed in 2016 that was made by Recaro and is Tesla's best seat: the next gen seat and it's very nicely bolstered and has real leather. Definitely better than Tesla's first attempt at seating.

I LOVE my next gen seats. Very, very comfortable! And to answer the OP's original question, yes, you can go from 2.0 to 3.0. I just had it done. Personally the camera's are a non issue for me. Plenty high enough resolution to be able to identify traffic incidents and the dreaded sentry mode event.

I see, that’s kind of a deal breaker for me sadly. If there’s a definite/easy way to upgrade the cameras then I’d definitely jump on a used 2016.

is there a way to tell if a used Model S has “real color” cameras?
Cars built from October 2016 through July 2017 would be AP2. Beginning in August 2017, they started using AP2.5 hardware which included cameras with improved color.

Many of us have had no problem buying cameras directly from Tesla and upgrading our AP2 cars. You can also find them for sale on Ebay. Shop around though and get quotes from Tesla. Sometimes the cameras on Ebay are a deal. Other times they are a rip-off.

You should be able to find answers to all of your camera questions in Upgrading AP cameras

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Cars built from October 2016 through July 2017 would be AP2. Beginning in August 2017, they started using AP2.5 hardware which included cameras with improved color.

Many of us have had no problem buying cameras directly from Tesla and upgrading our AP2 cars. You can also find them for sale on Ebay. Shop around though and get quotes from Tesla. Sometimes the cameras on Ebay are a deal. Other times they are a rip-off.

You should be able to find answers to all of your camera questions in Upgrading AP cameras
For the visual folks (see below). I did upgrade my repeater (fender) cameras but it was a little challenging (post: Upgrading AP cameras ).

Graphic and hardware explanations. Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

ZsAXyl7.jpg

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I have been trying to figure out if the side repeater cameras on the 2021 S will fit the older cars. The camera looks bigger but it could just stick out further. My questions is does it have the same connectors and will it fit in the same hole in the fender?