Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Charge Port Access with Extra Fob Antenna Fixed the Tesla Two-Step

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To avoid the Tesla Two Step I do the Tesla Two Click (of the fob key) to unlock the car when approaching from the rear.

I used to do this, but rarely do, now, after reading on this forum that manual unlocking prevents the walk-away lock from engaging until the next time one manually locks the car, which I believe explains a few times the car wasn't locked when I thought it shoulv'e been. (I love the walk-away lock feature!) Granted, occasionally I manually lock anyway (parking in front of 7-11 or the like), just to be sure. . . .

I do like the name "Tesla Two Step," though; is that anything like the Push Tush? ;-) (I'm not a country music fan, just know the name.)

- - - Updated - - -

I do like the name "Tesla Two Step," though; is that anything like the Push Tush? ;-) (I'm not a country music fan, just know the name.)

Whoops, I mean "Tush Push" (apparently, I don't know the name).

Taking the clue from Akikiki, I installed two antenna in the lift gate area. I had enough extra wire to experiment with different locations. It appears the parcel shelf supports on both sides are the best locations. With the antennae there the handles extend when I approach the car from the rear and rear sides including approaching the charging port. I'll do some final tests tomorrow, permanently mount the antenna (hidden of course), and post some photos of the results

Last edited:
Taking the clue from Akikiki, I installed two antenna in the lift gate area. I had enough extra wire to experiment with different locations. It appears the parcel shelf supports on both sides are the best locations. With the antennae there the handles extend when I approach the car from the rear and rear sides including approaching the charging port. I'll do some final tests tomorrow, permanently mount the antenna (hidden of course), and post some photos of the results

Does this mounting location also improve approach from passenger rear? My 5 year old usually gets in first and that's the door we go to first. I have to two-step forward to the passenger front door for the car to recognize me on that side.

Thanks for any info.... (and pics, heh)

-m

Does this mounting location also improve approach from passenger rear? My 5 year old usually gets in first and that's the door we go to first. I have to two-step forward to the passenger front door for the car to recognize me on that side.

Thanks for any info.... (and pics, heh)

-m

Definitely. I ended up permanently mounting the two additional antenna in the left and right upper wheel well openings, near the charge port on the driver's side and the same location on the passenger side. This morning I deliberately approached the car from the rear passenger side. As I got within about 18 inches of the rear tail light the handles presented themselves.

I just picked mine up Tuesday and I need to back in and approach from the rear. But I haven't had the problem. I thought I would. I walk up, the car doesn't unlock, but when I push the button on the charge cable, the door pops open. I wonder if they did an inline change and aren't talking about it. But I've only charged twice. She's still basically a virgin!

TeslaTap is a pretty commonly-linked site, and there's a giant modifications header button on the top of the screen. Best to just link to the actual modification in question, IMO. Basically, this:

Sometimes you can't choose how the car is parked. Wiring run limitations or parking restrictions could limit you to one direction or another. Plus, it would be kind of nice if you approached the car from the back in a parking lot it would unlock before you're standing by the door. I can see why someone would want to do this.

I just picked mine up Tuesday and I need to back in and approach from the rear. But I haven't had the problem. I thought I would. I walk up, the car doesn't unlock, but when I push the button on the charge cable, the door pops open. I wonder if they did an inline change and aren't talking about it. But I've only charged twice. She's still basically a virgin!
Enjoy your car!

The problem we're talking about is disconnecting from the car. Can you remove the charging cable while the car is locked and you approach from the rear?

Enjoy your car!

The problem we're talking about is disconnecting from the car. Can you remove the charging cable while the car is locked and you approach from the rear?

Hi,

Yes I can. I have no problem only walking up as far as the port, holding the button for one second, if that long, and the port opens to charge or the cable lock releases. Quite convenient as I have somewhat tight quarters in the garage. I also have no problem with opening the trunk by walking up from the rear only and pushing the button on the trunk lid. However, the doors do not present until I approach from the side. Based on all the comments I have read, I wonder if they made an inline change.

Resurrecting this old thread for some assistance.

My passive entry system was disabled on purchase as I had a hybrid tech package (I know weird but go with it). The attached picture shows the antenna and connector but i cannot find the connector it plugs into in the side of the dash. Does anyone have a picture of the connector in the dash and where it goes to in the wiring loom so I can locate it? Or would someone be prepared to open the end of the dash and take a picture of where the wire ultimately feeds from? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

FOB-antenna-IMG_4858.jpg

Wouldn't it just be easier to park the car so you walk past the driver or passenger door on your way to the charge port to unplug?

I back in for this reason. I don't have an attached garage. In an attached garage I would most likely nose in so I had to pass the doors with the fob in pocket so it unlocks and then I can remove the UMC.

I back in and approach my car from the rear drivers side. and dance

IMG_1391.JPG

Last edited: