Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Charging Behavior? Auto resets to 40 at next charge.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
So... my car would randomly kick down from 40 amps to 30.
And no, we are not discussing that. It is the fault of things outside my home/control.
It's been reviewed and beaten to death, zombied, then beaten again.

After some update this month, it finally behaves like it should. Even after a detected 'issue'. Plugging the in the next day, at home, without the tedious manual effort by me of unplugging, re-plugging, and upping the amps... it goes back to 40!

Could not be happier!
Finally after 2.5 years of this bugging the hell out of me, Tesla programmed it correctly.
To reset to the level specified when I plug in at home.

Anyone else notice this? Now it fills at 40 amps 90-95% of the time, without me having to mess with it!
And if the grid can't keep up, it goes down to 34/35, then auto back to 40 next day. How it should work.
Love having a car that gets better with time automatically and for free.

what? I never had a problem with this. In fact, remotely stopping and starting the charge would bring it back to specified level. This is necessary on commercial L2 chargers wired "up to code" because of the voltage drop of high gauge wire in conduit.

Maybe twice in over two years I have had my setting drop from 40 A to 30 A when charging at home. But the last two times I have been to the same hotel destination charger, it dropped to 30 amps both times. I have always had to manually reset back to 40 A or it will just stay at 30. But it Tesla made a change to bring it back to 40 automatically, that is good.

Last night, mine conked down to 30. I manually reset 40 (200 mile drive). it held 40 for a while, but this morning when I left for work, the dash showed 30 amps. No charging error message though. I didn't touch anything. Just unplugged and went to work. Fingers crossed that when I get home it starts at 40 amps. Really want to see the grid light up when we have 2 cars charging!

Got home, and tapped the charge icon on the center stack. showed 30 amps. :(

But, I plugged in without adjusting it.

Changed to 40 amps on it's own! :) And it was pulling 40 amps when I left it alone.
So you are saying it changed back to 40 A right after you plugged in, before it started charging? Or did it change later on, when the automatic charging started?

Doesn't Tesla geo-tag the charge location and "remember" the charging amps? This sounds like the software thinks you should be a 30A at your home location for some reason and it keeps wanting to default back to that. I don't know if there's a way to override it. Manually changing it back to 40A "should" do it, but apparently, it doesn't.