Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Driving Dynamics with SR MY 4680 w Structural Pack?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Bobfitz1

Supporting Member
Sep 24, 2012
Ludlow, Vt
I believe the SR MY built in Texas have had 4680 cells and the structural battery pack since June 2022.
Tesla claimed back at Battery Day that front and rear gigacastings and structural pack would significantly
improve some aspects of driving dynamics. Have any TMC members who now have an SR MY and previously
had a LR Model Y with traditional pack observed handling improvements?

I currently have the 23 MYLR(19" Gemini) and was able to test drive a standard range 23 with 20" induction wheels and can attest that there is a difference. The MYLR drives heavier. The standard range feels softer, more lexus like. The difference is minimal but there is a difference.

Secondly, although the LR is rated at only 0.2 seconds faster from 0-60, you do feel a slight loss of power when driving the standard range. Again, minimal but a difference.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
Tesla does not currently sell a Standard Range Model Y vehicle in the US. The current lineup of Tesla Model Y vehicles in the US includes:

Tesla Model Y (Built in Austin, uses the 4680 battery cells, estimated 279 mile range)
Long Range Model Y (Uses the 2170 battery cells, estimated 330 mile range)
Performance Model Y (Uses the 2179 battery cells, estimated 303 mile range)

I didn’t drive them back to back, but I drove a 22 MY LR for a while last year and just bought a new 4680, I feel like the 4680 feels more “solid”, you feel bumps are absorbed by the chassis, they are still there, but instead of making things rattle, the car kinda softens them.
But again, this is a 22 MY LR vs a 23 MY AWD, not a 23 MY LR.

It’s a similar difference to what I felt in my previous VW Atlas vs an Audi Q7.

So less of a harsh ride overall and a more quiet interior.

In terms of dynamics unless you put them to the limit on a race track I doubt you would notice any difference on normal roads.

Just bumping, to see if any other members missed this thread and can add their insights to this regarding the 4680 AWD. Would be great to get more feedback.

Spoken Reviews did a youtube video where he took his 4680 out on the road and recorded the interior sound and driving impressions. Didn't hear any squeaks or rattles, but then again he was on the freeway most of the time rather than on bumpy roads. Nevertheless, the video was helpful for people to hear the interior of the vehicle while in motion.

Drove a Fremont made 23’ MYLR at the PDX showroom, so not 4860 but the car in comfort steering/driving felt more rigid on the steering than my 22’ MYP. The ride quality was a bit smoother, even driving on 20” rim options. I swapped my Ubertines for 19” winters and it helped my 22’ MYP driving over bumps, but the 23’ MYLR was smoother still.
One big thing was the parking sensors, it was comically bad without the radar sensors. Until Vision 4 and the enlarged cameras make it into the MY, I wouldn’t get the car yet. They will release updates but it doesn’t make sense to me without them if you care about parking.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I didn’t drive them back to back, but I drove a 22 MY LR for a while last year and just bought a new 4680, I feel like the 4680 feels more “solid”, you feel bumps are absorbed by the chassis, they are still there, but instead of making things rattle, the car kinda softens them.
But again, this is a 22 MY LR vs a 23 MY AWD, not a 23 MY LR.

It’s a similar difference to what I felt in my previous VW Atlas vs an Audi Q7.

So less of a harsh ride overall and a more quiet interior.

In terms of dynamics unless you put them to the limit on a race track I doubt you would notice any difference on normal roads.
Hi AleNYAle,

When you say more "solid" are you referring to the feeling that the car feels like a solid piece of block of metal and a bump in the road at 1 corner of the car doesn't create additional noises of flex in the chassis? Where as your 22 MY LR when you get a bump in the road it creates some flexing or rattle in the car from the bump?

Thanks!

Hi AleNYAle,

When you say more "solid" are you referring to the feeling that the car feels like a solid piece of block of metal and a bump in the road at 1 corner of the car doesn't create additional noises of flex in the chassis? Where as your 22 MY LR when you get a bump in the road it creates some flexing or rattle in the car from the bump?

Thanks!
Yes, the feeling that there are no rattles, just a smooth "umpf" after a bump, the 22MY LR (which now that I think of it could have been a 21... it's my brother in law car and I can't remember exactly when he got it) didn't really flex but it was less smooth and I remember hearing more of the suspension noise and a less muffled sound coming from wherever the car hit the bump first... And generally higher pitch noises/rattles vs muffled and solid ones now... Make sense? It's hard to explain...

Yes, the feeling that there are no rattles, just a smooth "umpf" after a bump, the 22MY LR (which now that I think of it could have been a 21... it's my brother in law car and I can't remember exactly when he got it) didn't really flex but it was less smooth and I remember hearing more of the suspension noise and a less muffled sound coming from wherever the car hit the bump first... And generally higher pitch noises/rattles vs muffled and solid ones now... Make sense? It's hard to explain...

Yup, makes sense. Like a Porsche or a BMW feels solid and well built, 1 road bump equals 1 thump. Done.

Your 4680, how was the build quality exterior and interior when you took delivery of the vehicle? With the front and rear castings, the car is supposed to be easier to build to the expected tolerances like panel gaps should be more consistent.

Thanks!

Yup, makes sense. Like a Porsche or a BMW feels solid and well built, 1 road bump equals 1 thump. Done.

Your 4680, how was the build quality exterior and interior when you took delivery of the vehicle? With the front and rear castings, the car is supposed to be easier to build to the expected tolerances like panel gaps should be more consistent.

Thanks!
I’m not one to obsess over microscopic details but I couldn’t find any issue and I happily took delivery after a 5 minutes inspection and didn’t find any issue after either..

Reactions: tm1v2 and Lartymarf