TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Improved Key FOB Range

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Doug_G, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Here's a tip for those 2.0 owners who have poor key fob reception. I'm sure you know the drill, you practically have to be on top of the car for it to work. Apparently newer cars have better antenna positioning and have better range.

Apparently Eli in Toronto had an idea yesterday while servicing Jaff's Roadster. Jaff's fob receiver was being replaced because it wouldn't lock. When he installed the new unit, he repositioned the antenna wire just under the dashboard. Jaff told me this had a big effect on the key fob range.

As it happens, Mark came to town to work on my car today. He was also into the dashboard, so we tried the same thing. Basically he just taped the purple antenna wire as shown in this picture, just below the edge of the dashboard near the window. The dashboard goes on top, of course, so when everything is back together you can't see the wire.

The result? WOW!!! I'm seeing a 3X - 4X range improvement.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2655&d=1316742186.jpg

Attached Files:

2. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

The post below contains a link about the same type of issue on Elises and maybe a similar improvement (I've been too lazy to open up the dash and take a look).

The Valet Key

3. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

I always thought that the poor fob performace was a power issue...with Eli's quick & innovative thinking re this issue, the fob now has the range as good as any car I've ever owned...kudos Eli!

I love this because when approching a group of folks looking at the car, I can now "pop" the trunk and scare the bejeebers outta them! :biggrin::wink:

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Awesome. Has he referred this to Tesla HQ? Maybe they can add this a fix during that annual service or something. That keyfob range is on my list of minor annoyances with the Roadster.

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Reportedly yes, he's writing it up.

6. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

FWIW, my range was the very-poor (barely worked from directly behind the car) experience until Tesla found the antenna wire was pinched and replaced it during other servicing. Now I can be about 10 steps (short legs) away from the rear of the car.

7. Dragon

Dragon Lightning Green Fairytale

WHAT!?!? You got a range from 732 to 976 miles just by doing that!? Extraordinary! :eek:

8. zack

zack Member

My car's in the shop through tomorrow... I sent them a link to this thread and begged to have the mod done. It's one thing that I'd really enjoy. I often feel (look) like an idiot for walking just a little too far from the car before locking the doors.

9. S-2000 Roadster

Is this another issue where the carbon fiber body is preventing good reception of the radio waves?

10. zack

zack Member

Does the carbon-fiber body form, essentially, a Faraday cage?

11. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Any body surface that reflects RF waves partially or totally will increase signal levels outside and decrease or blacken out inside.
    RF reflection is caused by electric conductivity of a body material. I don't know the electric conductivity of CF panels, but I am pretty sure it's not that high to form a Faraday cage. Surely they attenuate RF waves a bit.
    The poor key fob reception of the original antenna wire position can be caused by reflection, attenuation, or partial shielding. Quite an evasive subject.

12. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

I put my auto toll tag (how we pay toll fees here for things like tunnels) in the front trunk near the AirCon. Works at 50kph through the front bonnet just fine.

13. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I think it was simply poor placement. They routed the antenna with the other wires.

14. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

15. zack

zack Member

milli-Hz? Slip of the shift button there...

16. zack

zack Member

OK! I contacted them in time... they actually had my dash apart and are going to look at moving the antenna for me!

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Let us know how it affects the FOB range!

18. S-2000 Roadster

Oh, and what does the FOB TLA (three-letter acronym) stand for? I mean, is it fob, Fob, or FOB?

19. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Good question! From Wikipedia: