Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

improved phone key reliability on 2019.24.4 (maybe)

has your phone key reliability increased with 2019.24.4?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my M3 for a month now. My phone key has been unreliable at best, but there seem to have been some improvements since 2019.24.4. Let me elaborate:

For context, my phone is an antiquity, an old Samsung still running Android 7.0 (stop laughing, not funny)
I also own a Garmin bluetooth wristband who has been working properly with my ohone for years (I promise it's relevant, keep reading)

previous to 2019.24.4 this is what happened:
-with a freshly rebooted phone, phone-key will work no problem as soon as I get close to the car
-after some time (minutes, hours, who knows), my phone will start acting up and will not work as a phone key anymore. Also, when in this state, the phone will stop communicating with my bluetooth wristband and other non-audio bluetooth equipment.
-when in this stae, bluetooth music will work fine, even when pairing to the M3
-at this point, a phone reboot fixed the issue both with the car and the wristband

after updating to 2019.24.4
-now my phone bluetooth communications with the car and my wristband do not get blocked-until-reboot anymore
-on the other hand, I have the imrpession it takes longer for the phone to get connected to the car, when I get close to it, than on previous versions.. Around 10 seconds is not uncommon.
-even when inside the car, I can see the phone sometimes cycling fast between disconnected-connecting-connected-disconnected... which never did before
-the craziest part is that the only piece of software updated was the car, not the Tesla app in my phone, nor the phone software in any way

So if my deduction is right, with previous Tesla car software versions, somehow my phone was affected by the communications with the car in some way that blocked my phone bluetooth connection to non-audio bluetooth devices....

Or maybe is just all coincidence. It would be SO NICE to have access to Tesla release notes... how many hundresds of speculative post like this one would cease to exist?

Do you see any difference in your case?

I went from a Galaxy 6, which was very intermittent, to a Galaxy 9 last week. I'm disappointed to find that the 9 is WORSE. I spent some time this morning playing with the settings on the app, hopefully this makes the connection more reliable.

Phone integration, both as the key and to the infotainment system, is a weak spot on the Model 3, in my opinion.

Reactions: McFlurri and 16Coma
For most folks, there's the honeymoon period. That's the first few months when access is infuriating.

But then you enter the long time period, during which the phone just works.

What people don't understand is that the phone uses Bluetooth RF to connect. If you have used Bluetooth headphones or speaker, you will have probably noticed a number of times when things weren't working and they were very close to each other. This is what's often happening to the car.

I carry my phones in my back pocket. There's a number of times that I'll get to the car and the doors don't unlock. Two simple actions solve the problem, 100% of the time for me.
  • Just simply pause for a few second. The phone and the car haven't had enough time to handshake.
  • Turn around. The car isn't able to hear the phone.
Even the body mass of a skinny person can be enough to block a Bluetooth signal. In a purse, there could be a lot of things blocking the signal. Dependent on which direction you approach the car from, the car will respond differently.

There are indeed a few, generally older, phones that have Bluetooth issues. I've been through 4-5 different brands and model phones and they all seemingly worked as well as each other.

One trick is to look at the phone and see if it shows Phone Key - Connected. If it does, doors should open. And no, the app doesn't seem need to be open or in focus.

• Informative
Reactions: Common_Loon
There's no option in your poll, but I've noticed that connectivity with my iPhone 7 is worse with 2019.24.x than it was with 2019.12.x or 2019.20.x.

I've had three experiences in two weeks where I had to toggle BT. I never had to do that previously.

Side note - all involve times when my wife's Samsung s6? was also in range. I don't think I've ever had the issue solo.

I have noticed a better response with my iPhone 7. The previous version I was on; I would sometimes have to unlock the phone to unlock the car — no clue why that worked, but it did. Over the last year, my experience with using the phone as a key has been great. I love not having a FOB with me.

Update: I have not had to reboot my phone for 5 days now, totally unheard of.

In the other hand, connection is way quirkier now, to the point I can get into the car, but when trying to get into drive, the cars asks me for the keycard, never happened before either.

Solution: keep pressing the brake, in a few seconds the phone will briefly reconnect and the keycard message will dissapear and the car will get into drive...

An update: Yesterday I went into the settings on the Tesla app on my Galaxy S9 and 'allowed' the app to make changes to the the phone's system settings. That seemed like a scary step, but I decided to give it a try. Based on 24 hours of feedback, it dramatically improved the phone's performance as a key. The car has recognized the phone every time I have walked up to it, whether the phone is awake or asleep. Bluetooth has connected to the infotainment system each time as well. Its only been a day, but it is working much more smoothly now.

To do this, I went to 'settings', then selected 'apps'. I scrolled down to the Tesla App and opened it. Then I moved the switch under 'Change System Settings' to "yes.". Other than the phone working properly, I did not notice any other changes.