Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 70D came without the 2 bottom trunk lights, (top one on the hatch is there) but does have the wiring and the carpet has a half cut area where so you can easily install the lights. I just installed two 5000K SMD LED strips under the plastic rails that hold the parcel shelf up, one on each side, and it lights up everything clear as day.

That's good to know; I'd like to see the photo's too.

By way of an update, the first production candidate should be with me by early next week. The focus so far has been on the tooling (i.e. the injection molding, lens assembly and wiring), so the version I get should be good from a fit and finish point of view, but the LED bulb will likely need to go through another couple of iterations, as there's a few options there. Making good progress though.

That's good to know; I'd like to see the photo's too.

By way of an update, the first production candidate should be with me by early next week. The focus so far has been on the tooling (i.e. the injection molding, lens assembly and wiring), so the version I get should be good from a fit and finish point of view, but the LED bulb will likely need to go through another couple of iterations, as there's a few options there. Making good progress though.

Hopefully once you get this tooling and production run going, you will easily be able to provide single-lights for the frunk. I believe the Tesla's light puddles are interchangeable between the trunk, frunk, and doors.

I'd be interested in the additional lights for the trunk, pete8314 (I just have the light on the liftgate). Looking forward to updates and photos when you get the prototype.

Do you have any preliminary thoughts on what'll take to install?

Ideally almost no effort at all. The replacement lens will be a complete replacement for what the car ships with (lens, power clip and LED bulb), so it'll just be a question of popping the old lens assembly out (easy to do with a finger nail in the trunk), unclipping the power supply from it(there's a small release clip), and then just clipping on the new one and pushing it back into the opening. Very, very easy, no more than a minute per bulb, no tools, splicing or any other modification needed.

Could you post pictures please? I can't locate the half-cut area you are referring to.

Thanks!

Here's where they are (indicated by masking tape. They are symmetrical, so there's one on the opposite side in the same location. The wires are taped to the harness closer to the shock tower on each side. You have to detach the carpet to get at them.

tesla-trunk-light.jpg

Ideally almost no effort at all. The replacement lens will be a complete replacement for what the car ships with (lens, power clip and LED bulb), so it'll just be a question of popping the old lens assembly out (easy to do with a finger nail in the trunk), unclipping the power supply from it(there's a small release clip), and then just clipping on the new one and pushing it back into the opening. Very, very easy, no more than a minute per bulb, no tools, splicing or any other modification needed.

Excellent. That's my kind of mod right there. :cool:

The production candidate (for tooling) came out well, it passed! A few photos below, but essentially the form-factor and composition is identical.

Tooling production candidate.jpg

The brightness increase registered at a little under 3x as can be seen below (using a fairly basic IOS app), however, the real-life observation lacked the 'wow, that's bright' factor. This was using 2x 5630 SMD LEDs, so the next samples will vary the LED type, and quantity. It'll be a couple of weeks before the next samples get here, but we're getting close.

v1 light measurement.jpg

I'm interested in a handful, especially if you can get them brighter. I'll have to go take a look, there's a lot of them scattered all around! (Some I've already replaced with strips though)

I'd really like to figure out how to enable the "Ambient lighting" mode so I could add those. The wiring is clearly there.

Thank you Pete. Without the work you are doing, you wouldn't get such quality products as you have done. Totally worth it!

Thanks. Truth is I (mostly) enjoy it, it's a interesting diversion from my (IT) day job. This whole thing started on TMC over two years ago, so it's mostly the people on here that helped this all happen. I had the original goal of eventually paying for a set of 21" rims....I never did get those (went for the T-Sportline's instead), but the FobPockets allow me to invest in fun side projects like this one.

- - - Updated - - -

That's great Pete. I'll take 4 as they are and two later for the trunk.
check your email.

We might end up with a couple of versions (bright and ultra-bright, or something like that); the latter for the frunk and truck, and the former for some of the internal lights where you really don't want anything that's too bright, on the basis it's meant to be ambient. We'll see how the next batch works out.

We might end up with a couple of versions (bright and ultra-bright, or something like that); the latter for the frunk and truck, and the former for some of the internal lights where you really don't want anything that's too bright, on the basis it's meant to be ambient. We'll see how the next batch works out.

Do you know if these can be installed on cars without the premium interior package?