Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the premium interior lighting package and the instructions from Abstract Ocean recommend using a professional to install the 4 Ultra Bright LED puddle lights. Has anyone done this by themselves and can give tips?
How handy are you? I'm pretty handy and had no real problem installing the rear puddle lights on my Tesla that didn't come with rear puddle lights.

You do have to cut out the opening (with a razor knife or similar) but you can see the size of the hole by the indentation in the fabric. Err on the side of cutting the hole too small vs too big. You'll get a snug fit with a too small hole and I think that's better. You'll have to pull out the wires that attach to the light, I think one side was green and black and the other side was a different color on my car (late 2015 build) Anyway I have long fingers and could just pull out the wires. The tape that held the wires was relatively weak and I just pulled it out no problem. Once you cut the hole use a flashlight to look in the hole and you will see the clip that isn't attached to anything and that's what you need to grab. Once you've installed some other lights you'll know what the clip looks like that you need to fish out. After I was done I was surprised how easy it was ... all that said if you aren't that handy and like paying people to do things for you then take it somewhere and give them your money.

Btw the lights are great and super bright. Probably make the biggest difference on the puddle lights since that's where they are most helpful. I've replaced all of the factory lights except for the red door lights which at some point I'll probably order.

Reactions: pete8314
How handy are you? I'm pretty handy and had no real problem installing the rear puddle lights on my Tesla that didn't come with rear puddle lights.

You do have to cut out the opening (with a razor knife or similar) but you can see the size of the hole by the indentation in the fabric. Err on the side of cutting the hole too small vs too big. You'll get a snug fit with a too small hole and I think that's better. You'll have to pull out the wires that attach to the light, I think one side was green and black and the other side was a different color on my car (late 2015 build) Anyway I have long fingers and could just pull out the wires. The tape that held the wires was relatively weak and I just pulled it out no problem. Once you cut the hole use a flashlight to look in the hole and you will see the clip that isn't attached to anything and that's what you need to grab. Once you've installed some other lights you'll know what the clip looks like that you need to fish out. After I was done I was surprised how easy it was ... all that said if you aren't that handy and like paying people to do things for you then take it somewhere and give them your money.

Btw the lights are great and super bright. Probably make the biggest difference on the puddle lights since that's where they are most helpful. I've replaced all of the factory lights except for the red door lights which at some point I'll probably order.
Pretty sure those wires are not the puddle-light ones, and your lights stay on when the doors are closed. Those are ambient light wiring. You have to go higher up in to the door to find the right one. I had to pop the panels on mine. YMMV
Details here: Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

Pretty sure those wires are not the puddle-light ones, and your lights stay on when the doors are closed. Those are ambient light wiring. You have to go higher up in to the door to find the right one. I had to pop the panels on mine. YMMV
Details here: Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?
How did you determine which wires were the correct ones to use for the puddle lights?

I've read this entire thread. Even though it is an older thread, I wanted to say thanks to all of you, I've successfully added new LEDs to the rear doors (puddle), the trunk, and under the rear seats that my S didn't come with. Updated all the others (well, the trunk has repurposed temporary original Tesla lights until my latest AO order arrives).

Mine is a November 2016 build.

Regarding the cars with no original rear door puddle lights: I popped the speaker cover off. It is held on by four clips, pull straight starting at the bottom, and it is easy to remove. On the side of the speaker cover there is a hole that if you look straight up (head looking directly up from the ground) you can use a finger to push aside some sound dampening material. If you shine a light in, and you are as lucky as I was, you'll see the taped wires and the connectors for the rear puddle lights. I used a screwdriver to loosen the tape, the connector had plenty of wire, and I was literally done with each door in 5 minutes. Used a razor blade to cut the fabric square and plugged in the AO lights. Did not have to pull the trim at all. Both sets of wire (each side of the car) were green and black. The lights do go off with the others, so I did not end up with the ambient light connector some people found by the nearby red lights. This was ridiculously simple, at least for me.

I do not believe I saw this speaker cover method discussed elsewhere in this thread, I think I saw someone suggest it in another post somewhere. If it is here, sorry for the repeat info, but I think the consensus in this thread is that the door trim requires removal.

I am adding a pic of where I was able to access the wire.
JcYKykkMQwWoEnKKpbJpsQ.jpg

Regarding adding the two trunk lights that weren't there: Simply put my hand under the carpet and gently pulled down from under the trim. Found the wire connectors easily (for me passenger was easier than driver, but neither was difficult), razor bladed the carpet where it was scored already, and done in about 10 min total. Temporarily using some repurposed Tesla original LEDs until AO order arrives. Super easy.

Again thank you to all of you who helped. This was a fun project for me.

@pete8314 - I just placed an order for these lights - I ordered 9 white LED's for the footwell, trunk, frunk, glovebox etc. And 4 puddle lights for the doors. I can't wait to remove the existing OEM LED's and replace them with yours.

Do you also have the map light LED's? I hate the warm look of the current lights.

@pete8314 - I just placed an order for these lights - I ordered 9 white LED's for the footwell, trunk, frunk, glovebox etc. And 4 puddle lights for the doors. I can't wait to remove the existing OEM LED's and replace them with yours.

Do you also have the map light LED's? I hate the warm look of the current lights.
Thanks!

No on the map lights. I'm not near my S at the moment, but I also have a 2016 (facelift), and the lights seemed to be a little cooler than my previous (2013) S. I only mention this as the current version of the lights direct from Tesla might be cooler, but I'm not sure, someone with a more recent S will need to comment.

Reactions: SilverGS
Thanks!

No on the map lights. I'm not near my S at the moment, but I also have a 2016 (facelift), and the lights seemed to be a little cooler than my previous (2013) S. I only mention this as the current version of the lights direct from Tesla might be cooler, but I'm not sure, someone with a more recent S will need to comment.
They are still too warm for my tastes. :)