Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the risk of sounding like Every. Kickstarter. Ever., we've hit a small delay. The production candidate failed a soak-test, where the black plastic part of the assembly started to deform slightly due to the heat output of the LEDs. This wasn't a real-life use-case, since the light had been lit for over 24hrs (typically the Model S times out the lights after 5 mins), but nevertheless, it should be able to withstand constant use. It's a simple formula change in the plastic, but it does require another sample run. It's also the moon festival in Taiwan/China next week, so it's going to be a few more weeks before we can go into full production. On the upside, the packaging is done, and the spudgers have been sourced (optional add-on), so if the next production candidate passes the soak-test, we'll be good to go.

Sorry for the delay, but these need to be right, as the production run has to be quite big (to warrant the tooling costs).

Sorry for the delay, but these need to be right, as the production run has to be quite big (to warrant the tooling costs).

Wait, what?

You're not going to simply throw in the towel and tell us that the quality wasn't there, and that making things is hard, and that you're sorry, but these just aren't going to happen, while directing us to other products in your store that we might like to purchase?

How very un-Tesla-like of you! :)

(Yes, I'm still bitter as hell over my Piano Black (instead of Matte Obeche) Tesla center console.)

OK this is as crazy as it gets.... about 2 months away from ordering my model S but count me in on the trunk lights! :rolleyes:

Oh and to make matters worse, I've had a pair of your silicone fob pockets for over a year... they are holding up well as they await the actual fobs... they have passed my very rigorous "living in a dark drawer test" with flying colors... I may place them in the freezer for a few months as a secondary test. oh baby I am tough on these fob pockets...

Ok you's guys.... keep your comments to yourselves.... My middle name is Self-Depreciation.... sigh.

Last edited:
OK this is as crazy as it gets.... about 2 months away from ordering my model S but count me in on the trunk lights! :rolleyes:

Oh and to make matters worse, I've had a pair of your silicone fob pockets for over a year... they are holding up well as they await the actual fobs... they have passed my very rigorous "living in a dark drawer test" with flying colors... I may place them in the freezer for a few months as a secondary test. oh baby I am tough on these fob pockets...

Ok you's guys.... keep your comments to yourselves.... My middle name is Self-Depreciation.... sigh.

My Fob Pockets are holding up well. If I had to order again, I probably wouldn't do the gold and silver metallic again though. The "paint" is coming off and the solid silicone underneath is showing through. Oh well. I still prefer it to the leather pockets Tesla gave me when I bought the car.

Do you still have slots available for your production run? My 2012 has some weak ass lighting in the trunk?

Yes....plenty, I'll have 1000's of the things! I'll post an order link on this thread before sending out a more general newsletter, although I rarely get notified of new posts for some reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, totally understand. I practically converted my garage to a Tesla shrine while waiting for mine!