Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this mean we're ready for a Costco handoff this weekend? :)

No...unfortunately not. I'm going to be overseas for the next couple of weeks, so the plan is to leave them on soak-test during that time to fully test them, in the meantime the packaging is being produced. It's taken longer than expected to get the plastic formulation right to be able to withstand the additional heat output, albeit over a time period that's 100's of times longer than a real-world cycle time.

- - - Updated - - -

I read through my post and added the text because it did not turn out like it was intended.

I have removed my post, since it was not right in this thread.

I am a large supporter of Petes project, and checking his shop regularly to see if he have them in stock.

Have done some testing with the 5630 lights myself and they have a tendency to give spotlight effect, if used with few bulbs in closed dark space.

A tip is to try go make some with as many 3528 or 5050 to disperse the light as much as possible, and warm white for the interior lighting.

The interior is looking better with warm light around 2-3 times as powerful as the original Tesla lights, brighter just do not feel right.

The Trunk and Frunk need to be white to cool white, since the black carpet steals light and makes a warm white light to dark.

Information the original leds from Tesla is 0,2W.

sigurdi

I understand what you're saying about the color temperature, however the objective for this project was to match the factory look and feel in every respect, which included the lens design and color output.

Not much beyond what I mentioned above...we have everything sorted now in terms of packaging, the spudger and specifications, now just waiting on what I expect to be the final release candidate. As soon as I have a confirmed RTM date I'll open up the site for pre-orders, but I do need to complete the soak testing first...that'll be happening over the next couple of weeks.

Pete--for the rear trunk LED systems, any difference between 'model years'/builds to worry about? Different openings/locations, different connectors needed?

Really looking forward to it (...and gives you a new product line since the rear license plate lamps are now LED, so fewer for you to sell now...).

Pete--for the rear trunk LED systems, any difference between 'model years'/builds to worry about? Different openings/locations, different connectors needed?

Really looking forward to it (...and gives you a new product line since the rear license plate lamps are now LED, so fewer for you to sell now...).

You asked Pete, but I'll say that all Model Ss have thus far used the same setup.

Yeah, as far as I can tell, based on my early S, and the various loaners I've had, they've stayed the same. It's possible the X is using the same bulbs as well, but I can't be certain based on the photos; they do look very similar though.

And if they do not, I expect that to eventually come to the S as it makes sense to reuse the one design. And I only consider it could be different when they realize they should address how lackluster the lighting is. But like I said, they should just source then from you!

Yes, I've studied the different model years, and they all use the same crappy lights and the same 2-pin connector. The only thing I've noticed is that at some point they switched from "cold" white to warm white LEDs for the map lights. Probably from 5000 kelvin to 2700. My preference is the higher kelvin for cargo lighting, but the warmer color temperature does make the cabin feel more inviting.

Pete, What temperature are the LEDs you are using?

Yes, I've studied the different model years, and they all use the same crappy lights and the same 2-pin connector. The only thing I've noticed is that at some point they switched from "cold" white to warm white LEDs for the map lights. Probably from 5000 kelvin to 2700. My preference is the higher kelvin for cargo lighting, but the warmer color temperature does make the cabin feel more inviting.

Pete, What temperature are the LEDs you are using?

They're color matched to the factory bulbs, so 5K.

Any updates?

Pete is a good business man. He has a lot of time, effort, and money invested in bringing these to market. Most recently he said this:

Not much beyond what I mentioned above...we have everything sorted now in terms of packaging, the spudger and specifications, now just waiting on what I expect to be the final release candidate. As soon as I have a confirmed RTM date I'll open up the site for pre-orders, but I do need to complete the soak testing first...that'll be happening over the next couple of weeks.

Do you think he would have just forgotten about doing that, or announcing it here when he has done it? I don't.

Hi everyone. Sorry for the quiet spell, just back from Zurich/London, so catching up on emails. The good news is that production of the bulbs has started (no issues during the 11-day soak test), packaging has been designed and signed-off, and the all-important (but optional) spudgers have arrived! The long-pole are the bulbs, so I've just reached out to the factory for a revised ETA. Once I have that, I can, with a reasonable degree of confidence, publish an availability date.

More info to follow soon.