Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As soon as everything is ready I'll open up the website for orders...right now I'm hoping to complete by Wednesday, although some content (installation videos) will follow a little later. Still not cleared customs though, it's becoming quite an issue for a few product lines, one batch has been delayed for nearly 3 weeks now, but I don't expect the same issues with this batch.

- - - Updated - - -

...(And we should totally have a local install meet-up for those of us in DFW...)

Can do, if the weather sorts itself out, it's ugly out there!

As soon as everything is ready I'll open up the website for orders...right now I'm hoping to complete by Wednesday, although some content (installation videos) will follow a little later. Still not cleared customs though, it's becoming quite an issue for a few product lines, one batch has been delayed for nearly 3 weeks now, but I don't expect the same issues with this batch.

- - - Updated - - -

can you restate your website URL. I'm definitely interested in a set of lights.

The good news is that the bulbs arrived today, so I'm working through all the stuff that needs to get completed to list them. I hope to have them up on the site tomorrow sometime (late, most likely), and will ship on Saturday. Content is a little sparse at the moment, I still need to work on fitting instructions. I hope to have the written version completed this weekend, the video will take longer though.

Of course, I'll post the links to this thread before any emails go out, as I'd like to get a few test installations under our belts before fully launching. A few things I've discovered:

- The rear footwell lights - these are fitted into an assembly that sits on a bar under the seats. If these were part of a premium or tech package, I wonder if that assembly exists in lower-trim models.
- The drivers footwell light is a bit tricky to pop out, as the pedals limit the leverage. Not a huge issue, but less straight-forward than the bulbs in the soft trims.

I've now upgraded all my bulbs, and I'm very happy with the results. I don't have any good before/after photos yet, but here's a rubbish photo taken of my feet in the back, obviously, the new bulb is on the left, but all the blackness really soaks up the light. I was also wearing black socks. I didn't say it was a good test! It's been a long day....

socks.jpg

Oh, here's a product teaser photo:

product teaser.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Pete for your hard work and due diligence. I have said it before and will say it again, 1) I wish Tesla took the measures to ensure great "soft points" on "small parts" like you have and 2) I wish Tesla would have accomplished #1 without overwhelming their plate by sourcing their parts from you!

Thank you Pete for your hard work and due diligence. I have said it before and will say it again, 1) I wish Tesla took the measures to ensure great "soft points" on "small parts" like you have and 2) I wish Tesla would have accomplished #1 without overwhelming their plate by sourcing their parts from you!

Thanks, me too! I've been trying to get a Model X key (blank or real, I don't care) but now I can't even elicit a reply from them. As anyone knows, I'm a huge advocate for Tesla, but not supporting the accessory ecosystem, especially since they're not great at making their own, puts then into the same category as all the other auto companies.

The good news is that the bulbs arrived today, so I'm working through all the stuff that needs to get completed to list them. I hope to have them up on the site tomorrow sometime (late, most likely), and will ship on Saturday. Content is a little sparse at the moment, I still need to work on fitting instructions. I hope to have the written version completed this weekend, the video will take longer though.

Of course, I'll post the links to this thread before any emails go out, as I'd like to get a few test installations under our belt...

Our cars are the same vintage, so it might not be helpful, but I have time this weekend to help you with a test fitting.

The rear footwell lights - these are fitted into an assembly that sits on a bar under the seats. If these were part of a premium or tech package, I wonder if that assembly exists in lower-trim models.
No it doesn't. The wires are there and active when the other lights come on, but this plastic clip is not present (shown with light installed):

View attachment 103135

However, it should be possible to ziptie the light right to the crossbar or make a homebrew "bracket" out of a coffee can lid or similar. On my car I used the LED strips under there, which peel and stick, so I stuck them directly to the crossbar:

tesla-70d-led-strips1.jpg

tesla-70d-leds4.jpg

anyone come up with a easyway to get to the wires in the trunk of the cars with just one light. like how do you get the side panel out of the way
You can pull off the plastic trim that comes up the side of the hatch opening and then it's easy to pull the carpet back a bit to find the wire. Just look for the harness running behind the carpet, and the extra wires will be taped to this harness. (sorry, no pictures right now)

Last edited:
Thanks Ingineer got them out had to pull the center part also (this car is all snap together like legos ) I also put the lights under the seats, got to watch with the zip ties, I got the motor shaft with one tie and it made the seat sound like it was coming unglued, the shaft is just on the other side of that bar

You get the plastic holder for the footweel from Tesla.
Newer cars all have the footweel lights with or without the light/interior package, older do not.

Getting behind the carpet on cars without light package is quite easy, remove the plastic cover.

I can post link to a movie or parts if it is OK for pete.
It is a mounting instruction about a different solution to better lights in the Trunk, and panel is removed to get to the cables behind the carpet.

Hi everyone.

Well, as at least one person has spotted (and managed to place an order during the few minutes the page was live for testing earlier!), the bulbs are now live, here's the link:

Ultra-Bright LED Interior Light Kit - Abstract Ocean

A few important things to note:

• Any feedback (ideally on this thread) has been, and is, very helpful - thanks. I only have one, quite old, Model S to play with, so with all the trim levels out there, it's good to understand the various options
  • The bulbs are priced at $10 each, this is more or less the range I hoped for way back when, but it is an early-bird price for this thread. I don't mind if the link is shared, but when I send the product email out (most likely after Christmas) the price will increase to $45 a pack.
  • As mentioned above, I don't have the full instructions written yet, that should happen this weekend, but until then the QR code on the back of the pack won't take you anywhere useful. Once the instructions are up, I'll continue to add to them based on the feedback on this thread. I assume most on this thread are more than capable of fitting these, technically there's nothing to it, but if you're not sure, please wait for a more complete installation guide.
  • If you're outside the US, shipping is free for any order over $50 until the weekend (no code needed); after that, it's probably too late for pre-Xmas delivery, although I'm close to striking a deal with DHL which, if successful, will offer a much better international service than I can achieve with USPS.

I think that's it. Thanks for everyone's help so far, and I look forward to more feedback.

Pete,
Yep, I happened to be on your site and saw they were live... Snuck in and ordered one set and then saw it went down (assumed after that you were still working on the site). Then I went and looked around the car some more looking at the rest of the lights. I assume the rear doors puddle lights you are referring to are for the red lights (a little higher up on the rear doors)? My rear doors (I don't have the premium light package) don't have the holes/cutouts (I can see the spot in the plastic where they would be) on the bottom of the rear doors (on the plastic below the speakers).

Still... After looking around the car I did go back and order some more lights... Thanks for all the work and I look forward to the lights and especially seeing in the trunk a bit better.

- C

Pete,
Yep, I happened to be on your site and saw they were live... Snuck in and ordered one set and then saw it went down (assumed after that you were still working on the site). Then I went and looked around the car some more looking at the rest of the lights. I assume the rear doors puddle lights you are referring to are for the red lights (a little higher up on the rear doors)? My rear doors (I don't have the premium light package) don't have the holes/cutouts (I can see the spot in the plastic where they would be) on the bottom of the rear doors (on the plastic below the speakers).

Still... After looking around the car I did go back and order some more lights... Thanks for all the work and I look forward to the lights and especially seeing in the trunk a bit better.

- C

Thanks for the order! Regarding the door lights, no, the puddle lights are on the bottom of the door trim (in addition to the red lights on the side of the door trim), where you saw the cutouts. I assume the wires are behind there, but I don't know that, so I'd hate for you to remove any trim. Let me know if I need ot adjust your order.

- - - Updated - - -

Pete, your splurger tool link gives me a "Not Found" page on your site.
http://www.abstractocean.com/spudger-trim-removal-tool/

My bad....sorry...it's back now. If anyone orders it separately, the shipping tool I sue will combine everything into one shipment anyway.