Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pete8314 - they seem to be showing as unavailable, at least from here in the uk. Is that a temporary issue?

Yes ,temporary, I ran out just before Christmas; right now I'm expecting the next shipment to land around Jan 20th; as soon as I know for sure, I'll post here, and send out a quick email to the newsletter subscription group.

- - - Updated - - -

Buhler? Buhler? Pete? :biggrin:

Aaaah, Amazon, can't live with em, can't live without them. There's an art to getting the 'buy button', it's to do with price, stock, sales volume and possibly the phase of the moon, who knows. Right now I do have the buy button, so you'd be ordering from us, but if we don't have the Buy Button (here: Amazon.com: Pro.Fit International DM-40-22 Dash Trim Removal Tool: Electronics), then we'll be in the other sellers listed on the right side of the page.

Aaaah, Amazon, can't live with em, can't live without them. There's an art to getting the 'buy button', it's to do with price, stock, sales volume and possibly the phase of the moon, who knows. Right now I do have the buy button, so you'd be ordering from us, but if we don't have the Buy Button (here: Amazon.com: Pro.Fit International DM-40-22 Dash Trim Removal Tool: Electronics), then we'll be in the other sellers listed on the right side of the page.

Lol, thanks Pete!

All

The Ultra-Bright Interior bulbs are now back in stock!

I've created some bulk options, so if you decide to buy 3 packs (12 bulbs) to replace all the bulbs, you'll almost get the same price offered before Christmas, together with a bonus bulb for your glove box (you can also just buy a single bulb).

I'll get a newsletter out to the subscription group this weekend, but wanted you guys to be the first to know. I do also have stock of the red version (for the rear-facing warning lights in each of the doors), I need to sort out imagery later on, but they can also be ordered.

There's also stock on its' way to Amazon, but there's not an easy way to apply multi-unit discounts there.

Thanks, Pete

Hey Pete - just so you know. I'm signed up on your watchlist and didn't get an email saying these were in stock. It's an @gmail account and I checked my spam folder also. I've been stalking your site and visiting daily for a week or so. Happened to notice last night you had them and got my order in. :)

Hey Pete - just so you know. I'm signed up on your watchlist and didn't get an email saying these were in stock. It's an @gmail account and I checked my spam folder also. I've been stalking your site and visiting daily for a week or so. Happened to notice last night you had them and got my order in. :)

Its OK, that's totally on me....I get a bit obsessed with the email format, so I've not been able to get it sent yet...posting on TMC is sooo much easier! Busy weekend, mom's 60th, poured house foundations yesterday, and kid's birthday today. There's plenty of stock though, and I will get the email out this week.

Since my kid was, as far as I know, the first advocate for upgraded red door-edge warning lights, I figure I ought to get a set of the red. Order placed. :)

I had two extra white Ultra-Bright interior bulbs left over on my S...on a car with premium lighting these would be the rear door puddle lights. I was admittedly too much of a scaredy-cat to open up my rear door panels, but my car was going into Walnut Creek Customs anyway for a dash cam install. I explained what I wanted done with the rear door puddle lights, they tacked that on to the job, and it all came out perfectly.

Since my kid was, as far as I know, the first advocate for upgraded red door-edge warning lights, I figure I ought to get a set of the red. Order placed. :)

I had two extra white Ultra-Bright interior bulbs left over on my S...on a car with premium lighting these would be the rear door puddle lights. I was admittedly too much of a scaredy-cat to open up my rear door panels, but my car was going into Walnut Creek Customs anyway for a dash cam install. I explained what I wanted done with the rear door puddle lights, they tacked that on to the job, and it all came out perfectly.
Did they say how hard/easy it was? I like to DIY projects but don't want to get in over my head. I'm hoping you just cut out the bottom hole and find the cable to attach to ... Anyone done this themselves for the rear door?

Did they say how hard/easy it was? I like to DIY projects but don't want to get in over my head. I'm hoping you just cut out the bottom hole and find the cable to attach to ... Anyone done this themselves for the rear door?

There are several posts upthread where people described how to do this. The wires for the puddle light are attached to other wires inside the door (wrapped by tape, if it's like say the trunk lights or rear footwell lights). You need to detach the puddle light cable from the other wires and fish it down to the opening where the light fits in. I don't think it's possible to do all of that through the bottom hole (or through the hole where the red warning light is). So all of the recipes I've seen posted for adding the rear puddle lights involve opening up the rear door panel to some extent. It sounds pretty straight-forward, but the opening up the door part was beyond my comfort level.

I already sent you a set, well, I sent it to your son :)

- - - Updated - - -

Built March 2015. 85D. Have not tried the license plate lights. Didn't think they'd help with the lighting the back up area.

They do make quite a difference. IF your VIN is <90,000 then you'll have the original (incandescent) licence plate bulbs that are rather dim.

We got it today! Really quite a surprise for my son, he thought it was someone sending him an early birthday present until we made him read the label. He sends a big Thank You!

IMG_8200.jpg

These lights wasted no time finding their way onto my car. "Let's get your homework done first" turned into "OK, you can hook just one up to see if it works" (we put one in the trunk just to test), which then turned in to "OK we'll change one door and then you go do your homework", which was then "OK fine, you can do the other door on that side", and then finally "Aw heck, just finish changing all of them". Clearly I am a pushover as a parent, although he finally did the aforementioned homework.

Here's a side-by-side comparison after changing the left rear door warning light...just a snapshot from my iPhone but the difference is pretty clear. The puddle lights and footwell lights are all the white Ultra-Bright LEDs:

IMG_8208.jpg

Thanks Pete!

That's awesome, Pete!

We got it today!

These lights wasted no time finding their way onto my car.

Relative to the others, how difficult was removal?

I ask because I definitely did minor cosmetic scuffing / scraping damage around some of the bulbs I replaced. Considering how hidden and out of the way those bulbs are, I don't feel too too bad about it. But looking at where the red lights are, the area around them is pretty visible, and I'd probably be annoyed with myself if I left any indication of my "handy work" there. This concern is the only thing preventing me from ordering a set of the red.

Thanks!

Relative to the others, how difficult was removal?

I tried removing one the other day to see if I can find the wire for the non-existent rear puddle light without taking off the door panel. I found the red light very easy to remove, which was a nice surprise after my battle with the footwell lights… You should have no problem removing them using the spudger without causing cosmetic damage.

I tried removing one the other day to see if I can find the wire for the non-existent rear puddle light without taking off the door panel. I found the red light very easy to remove, which was a nice surprise after my battle with the footwell lights… You should have no problem removing them using the spudger without causing cosmetic damage.

My experience was slightly different...I really had to dig the spudger in to get a couple of them out. The good news is that they're easy to get to, but the interior door panel is thicker than most of the other light locations, so it seems to put up a bit more of a fight. It seems that we all have had slightly different experience with each of the locations, but in terms of difficulty, they're still at the easier end of the scale.

- - - Updated - - -

We got it today! Really quite a surprise for my son, he thought it was someone sending him an early birthday present until we made him read the label. He sends a big Thank You!

These lights wasted no time finding their way onto my car. "Let's get your homework done first" turned into "OK, you can hook just one up to see if it works" (we put one in the trunk just to test), which then turned in to "OK we'll change one door and then you go do your homework", which was then "OK fine, you can do the other door on that side", and then finally "Aw heck, just finish changing all of them". Clearly I am a pushover as a parent, although he finally did the aforementioned homework.

Here's a side-by-side comparison after changing the left rear door warning light...just a snapshot from my iPhone but the difference is pretty clear. The puddle lights and footwell lights are all the white Ultra-Bright LEDs:

Thanks Pete!

Welcome - thanks for the pics!