Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improved Trunk lighting - Is there demand?

would you be interested in high-quality, brighter interior plug-n-play lights?

• Yes - would buy a full set (trunk, Frunk, puddle lights and footwells)

Votes: 143 46.3%
  • Yes, would start with a few to replace the weedy lights in the trunk

Votes: 133 43.0%
  • Not sure - would wait for other reviews

Votes: 20 6.5%
  • Nope, I'm good with the ones in the Model S

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Relative to the others, how difficult was removal?

I ask because I definitely did minor cosmetic scuffing / scraping damage around some of the bulbs I replaced. Considering how hidden and out of the way those bulbs are, I don't feel too too bad about it. But looking at where the red lights are, the area around them is pretty visible, and I'd probably be annoyed with myself if I left any indication of my "handy work" there. This concern is the only thing preventing me from ordering a set of the red.

We found the warning lights very difficult to get out using the spudger. Maybe that’s because our spudger is a bit chewed up, or maybe because the door trim is so soft that it’s hard to get any leverage. We concluded we weren’t going to get anywhere and we went with a very small flat-blade screwdriver, with some painters tape over the trim to protect it. This approach got the lights out pretty easily, but there is now a tiny nick at the bottom edge of each opening.

My son and I were wondering if a plastic flat blade screwdriver might have worked (I have one for adjusting trim pots but it’s tiny and even softer than the spudger). Another approach I just thought of would be to put the spudger part-way into the slot at the end of the light, and then put the flat-blade screwdriver in front of the spudger so that it can push off the spudger for better leverage.

Note that the new LED bulbs are so bright, and the trim is so dark, that at least on my car there is almost no time when you can actually see the nicks, unless you cover up the bulb.

Another thing: When we were removing the last of the four OEM bulbs, we actually had the connector (where the wires attach) come apart on us into two pieces. We were worried that we’d broken something, but there wasn’t any sign of damage, and I was able to snap the two sides back together and the result snapped into the bulb as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

So if we substituted red lamps for all the interior footwell lights, we could pretend we're driving a submarine in attack mode?? :cool:

Someone needs to figure out how to force the footwell lights on...there wasn't one when I asked a couple weeks ago. :p

Well done. I ordered Trunk and Frunk replacement bulbs on Saturday. They were delivered today (Tuesday). Great packaging. Install instructions were perfect - took me about 10 minutes to do them all. These are a great improvement over the original bulbs. The folks at Abstract Ocean are delivering a perfect project.

Well done. I ordered Trunk and Frunk replacement bulbs on Saturday. They were delivered today (Tuesday). Great packaging. Install instructions were perfect - took me about 10 minutes to do them all. These are a great improvement over the original bulbs. The folks at Abstract Ocean are delivering a perfect project.

Thanks so much! We're really proud of this project, it's our first full-blown manufacturing solution, with loads of little obstacles along the way. But even dumb little things like the first boxes arriving with our name in the little diamond (where you'd normally see Target, or Lowes etc) made us giddy. When I say 'us', I mean me. My wife couldn't care less about a cardboard box :)

AO box.jpg

The brackets are sold out again :-( I know somewhere way up thread someone suggested, or maybe actually did manage to install them with a couple of cable ties (zip ties). If there's any photos, I'd love to see them. I would normally go the zip tie/duct tape/WD40 fixes everything route, but since these are so out of sight, it probably doesn't matter to a lot of people.

These are some great lights. Really brightens the footwells. But the color temperature is way too cold compared to the interior light in the headliner on newer cars. Do you plan on making some with matching kelvin?

It's possible...I had a loaner a few weeks ago that was in the 90k VIN range, and didn't notice the overhead lights were any different (not sure I drove it at night though). I'll take a look when I get the opportunity....offering different color temps is easy, but equally it can be confusing for some customers.