Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Improvement suggestions I sent to Tesla after owning a S 85 for 2 weeks now....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sent two mails meanwhile to Tesla Feedback with improvement suggestions and I would be interested to know how other Model S users see my ideas... useful, cr..p etc. :)
Software Version is 6.1 2.2.140

Software

Navigation:
If the calculated route is out of range (battery level, consumption) please add the feature „stop over by supercharger“ as a waypoint in the main route.

Navigation:
like in Navigon Navigation App (iPhone) or google maps possibility to switch to alternative routes and setting waypoints in between.

NICE: the new roundtrip feature!!! good work!!!

Navigation:
Voice of navigation comes only from front panel while music is only dimmed in the front drivers site. Dimming music at least in the whole front would make it more easy to understand navigation commands.

Navigation/Sound
automatic increasing volume with increasing speed (wind and other noise from outside overlaying nav and music system could be zeroed out).
Sub menu for setting on / off feature and maybe even „strength“ of noise level adaption.

Park Distance Control:
it should beep where the obstacle occurs (like BMW 5 series e.g.)
If theres something say in the left back of the car then the warning sound should come from that direction and not only from the front panel.

A directly accessable button (maybe placed next to the Tesla sign) for opening / closing and presenting doors and door handles.
In a submenu possibility to switch this function between all doors and drivers door only.
I’m aware of the fact that this is provided by pressing the park button and in the submenu… but it would be a better security offer for example fastly locking doors when somebody closes to the car.

Speedmeter (Dashboard)
A setting in a submenu allowing to change to europe (german) speed standards (showing 30, 50 instead of 60!, 100, 130 KM as numbers) would be very pleasant.

Cruise Control
it’s right not not easy to tell from the sign in dashboard what the speed setting is really set to in KM (MPH)
a shown number next to the sign around the speedmeter or included in the cruise control sign above would be nice.

Cruise Control
when in active cruise control the car doesn’t speed down when going into a narrow curve (driving in european cities…)
An automatic slow speeding down and therefore taking away the feeling of strong drift would be nice. (This is for example included in the cruise control BMW and a very nice feature!)
Maybe a submenu which allows control of the „strengh“ of the slow down effect.

Trunk opening hight GPS located

opening the trunk at a specific place (like the garage at home with limited ceiling space) combined with the GPS mark would make it possible to define different hights of the trunk to be opened at different places.
Stored and accessible in a sub menu for deleting stored places or editing them.
(I sometimes bang my head on the trunk cause I had to set it to a „mimimalisic“ opening height due to my garage… if it would open only there this height and elsewhere to full height… would love that :) )

Hardware / Software

Used to a Head Up Display in the BMW I don’t really miss it a lot but as far as I hear and see the market at least over here demands a „gadget“ like that for upper class cars. Navigation, driving speed, cruise control etc. are a must on that screen.
Improvement with a HUD could be done implementing future functionalities like night vision e.g. (this should be already possible with the actual tech package I guess and software rewriting) So only the HUD hardware would be really new.

Hardware

Sometimes it’s not easy to tell if you’re pushing frunk or trunk when key is still inside your pocket.
A little spot / mark / knob on trunk side of the key would make it very easy to tell without a look what side of the car you’re about to open.

Entrance bars bottom of the doors (right now plastic which easily gets scratches and dirty when you step on it).
A metal inlay (like done by BMW or Mercedes) would offer a impression of higher value of quality and improve the first look when you get to the car and open the door (thinink about brushed metal with the TESLA signature stamped in it e.g.)

Rain water dripping to the above mentioned bars on the bottom.
A different design of the gum insulation at the door panes (uppper side) could take a away rain water into a little drainage system and so protect the bottom from getting water spots.

Insulation of doors
Water from outside causes dirt spots. A more to the outside of the doors attwached gum insulation would remove this effect.

Entrance bars bottom of the doors (right now plastic which easily gets scratches and dirty when you step on it).
A metal inlay (like done by BMW or Mercedes) would offer a impression of higher value of quality and improve the first look when you get to the car and open the door (thinink about brushed metal with the TESLA signature stamped in it e.g.)

Cars made since January (I think) have this:
New Kickplates Are Not Retrofittable

Daniel - it does sound like you should have stuck with your BMW. For myself, it is Tesla's innovation that makes the brand so attractive, not its ability to incorporate features copied from other car manufacturers.

For example, I am more excited as to where Tesla are going to take the Autopilot hardware. the "Come to Me" feature that Elon Musk described at the Launch Event will I am sure inspire a million YouTube videos when that is implemented. It is ideas like that define the Tesla.

I own an Audi that has most if not all of the features that you describe. It is a very nice extremely fast car but I am bored of it. The P85D that I am waiting for I think will redefine my approach to cars and transport as the Model S has done for so many people on these forums. I am pretty certain that I will never own another ICE car after this. If Tesla continues to truly innovate and take risks, those future cars will be Teslas as well.

Daniel - it does sound like you should have stuck with your BMW. For myself, it is Tesla's innovation that makes the brand so attractive, not its ability to incorporate features copied from other car manufacturer.

Just because he wants features found in his other car doesn't mean he "should have stuck with his BMW". His suggestions are good and I would venture to say if it weren't for people like Daniel the upgrades Tesla has already made would have been slower in coming. Tesla wants other manufacturers to copy them and they do the same. That way you get the best car possible.

For example, I am more excited as to where Tesla are going to take the Autopilot hardware. the "Come to Me" feature that Elon Musk described at the Launch Event will I am sure inspire a million YouTube videos when that is implemented. It is ideas like that define the Tesla.

I own an Audi that has most if not all of the features that you describe. It is a very nice extremely fast car but I am bored of it. The P85D that I am waiting for I think will redefine my approach to cars and transport as the Model S has done for so many people on these forums. I am pretty certain that I will never own another ICE car after this. If Tesla continues to truly innovate and take risks, those future cars will be Teslas as well.

It's not like other manufacturers aren't doing the same things (chose Audi since you mentioned it).

Audi Autonomous Car Parking CES 2014 - YouTube
CES 2013 - Audi Automated Parking technology - YouTube